2003 ford explorer for overheating | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

2003 ford explorer for overheating

Sbick36

Reaction score
City, State
Concord new hampahire
Year, Model & Trim Level
2003 ford exploror
My 2003 ford explorer is over heating it can sit there turned on and will not over heat however if I drive it withen 5 mins it will over heat and when this happen the coolant pours out at the holding tank area , I have replaced the thermostat, did a heater core flush and radiator flush. I have had someone come look at it and there are not sure what it is

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Air. Burp the system.
What is the best way to do this. My explorer doesn't have a radiator cap everything goes though the holding tank

if it keeps blowing the cap or drinks coolant you're gonna need head gaskets

Make sure lower hose is not collapsing when you are driving especially if radiator is partially clogged. Check if Clutch fan has slight resistance when spun on cold engine that's not running. I had bad luck with a brand new gates stat,had to pull it and replace with a stant 195.

Do check the bottom hose for temperature when idling after a drive. It should be warm, not hot or cold. If its hot; bad fan clutch or plugged radiator. If it's cold; bad thermostat or water pump.

What engine do you have? What trim package?

Back