• Register Today It's free!

2003 Hatch Applica' cracked

Exp_Steve

Reaction score
City, State
Dallas, TX
Year, Model & Trim Level
2003 Explorer V8 Limited
Have 112k miles on the Ex. Just noticed the applica' is cracked on the rear hatch. Started doing a lot of squeaking back there too. Any easy way to fix this? Crack goes up and down, near the windshield wiper. About 1/8" wide now.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

My second piece cracked and it ain't gettin' fixed. Someone should come up with a reasonably priced and attractive molding to disguise the crack. They'd do well saleswise.

Squeak may be coming from the inner plastic cover that spans the width of the hatch. I placed small 1inch peices of rubber tubing (cut along it's length) and pushed over the edge of the panel. As for the crack in the outter panel, it's VERY common.

My second piece cracked and it ain't gettin' fixed. Someone should come up with a reasonably priced and attractive molding to disguise the crack. They'd do well saleswise.

My Explorer is jet black in color, so I bought a 3 ounce tube of black silicone from Advance Auto Parts and I filled in the crack the best I can. After the silicone hardened, I had to trim off the excess that expanded outside of the crack with an exacto knife. It still looks like $hit, because you can see the edge of the crack line, but I stopped any dirt, water or moisture from getting behind the panel and it should help keep it from rattling.

Welcome to the cracked club. I was lucky and was able find one at a local junk yard that was the same color as my Ex. I will say that was about the only thing on that Ex. that wasnt destroyed. I finally got lucky on finding what I needed

Back