2003 Ranger 3.0 - Idle drops to 300rpm when AC is on | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

2003 Ranger 3.0 - Idle drops to 300rpm when AC is on

Mark Johnson

Reaction score
City, State
MCKINNEY, TX
Year, Model & Trim Level
2003 Ford Ranger 3.0 Edge
I've read a lot of these forums and they have been very helpful. Decided why not join one!
I bought my 2003 Ranger new off the show room floor 16 years ago. Very dependable truck has 194K miles. Recently had to have Ford service replace O2 sensors because the truck would idle rough and die when at stop. ford fixed that problem but now when AC is running and at a stop sign or signal, the idle drops to 300rpm and the AC compressor turns off and on. Every time the compressor turns on the rpm drops to around 300. I've replaced Idle Air Control value, that helped but still no joy. Clean MAF sensor, again helped but issue still remains. Also have run Sea Foam motor treatment, truck runs better but still have idle issue with AC on.

Mark. So your another "long term owner" . Me too. Bought my Edge new in '02...anyways

I don't have specific answer for you but I would "think" that its an electrical "issue". Some "signal" from the engaged compressor must tell something (the computer?) that the rpm needs to be increased due to the added load of the engaged compressor.

If so...maybe its tied into the a/c pressure switch. Perhaps when the pressure of the High Side of the a/c system gets to a certain pressure......

Best of luck and keep us posted

Thanks, i will look at this and let you know

Back