Dismiss Notice

Register Today It's free! This box will disappear once registered!

2003 Sport Trac. Stalls while driving.

Discussion in '2001-2005 Explorer Sport Trac' started by claire.wood, July 6, 2011.

^^Searches ExplorerForum.com^^
  1. claire.wood

claire.wood New Member

City, State:
    Baltimore
    Year, Model & Trim Level:
    2003 Sport Trak
    Last year my 2003 Sport Trac (71,000 miles) started stalling while driving. It is consistently inconsistent. It stalls while accelerating, decelerating, in any gear, in any temperature. I can feel the power disappearing and when I look at the dash board while muscling it to the side of the road, I can see all the dashboard lights come on. I turn the ignition off and sit there like a moron on the side of the road til I can turn it over again at which point it starts and I putter on down the road. From my house to the base is about 20k and it can make it there stalling between 2 or 5 times. Nothing is consistent so diagnosing this is a nightmare and is dangerous when on the autobahn. Germans don't know how to work on "American Fords." I have had diagnostics run with no results. They cleaned the ignition switch? Box? something like that. It will run for months without stalling and then randomly start stalling again.

I have seen other people's posts about this problem but there doesn't seem to be a clear solution, many suggestions, but no follow up on the solution! Any help would be so greatly appreciated. I love this little truck and don't want to have to junk it, especially if it's a simple fix!!
    Thanks in advance.

2. Support EF

Join the Elite Explorers for $20

Explorer Forum has probably saved you that much already, and will continue to save you money as you learn how to diagnose fix problems yourself and learn which modifications work without having to experiment on your own. Elite Explorer members see practically no ads, can add their own profile photo, upload photo attachments in all forums, and Media Gallery, create more private Conversations, and more. Join Today. Your support is greatly appreciated.

3. BrooklynBay

BrooklynBay Moderator & long time member. Staff Member Moderator Elite Explorer

City, State:
    Brooklyn, NY
    Year, Model & Trim Level:
    88 89 93 95 96 Aerostars
    Welcome to this forum! I've moved your thread into the 2001-2005 Sport Trac section. Do you have a check engine light or a flashing overdrive light?

We Support Our Troops!