Dismiss Notice

Register Today It's free! This box and some ads will disappear once registered!

2003 XLT 4x4 Hub Bearing

Discussion in 'Stock 2002 - 2005 Explorers' started by palegre, March 14, 2010.

^^Searches ExplorerForum.com^^

1. palegre

palegre New Member

City, State:
    Countryside, Illinois
    Year, Model & Trim Level:
    2003 XLT 4x4
    I have a 2003 Explorer XLT 4x4. Need to swap the hub bearings for new ones. I'm reading conflicting posts on the axle nut size. I'm told that it should be a 1-1/4 size socket. The Ford dealer told me 32mm. However, when I fit the 32mm socket on the bolt it was too big. I went back and this time with axle cover off of the wheel to hopefully fit a socket on the bolt at the parts store parking lot rather than run back and forth. A 30mm seemed to fit correctly. Does this sound right?

2. Support EF

Elite Explorer 2 for 1 Sale! $20 for 2 years!

Explorer Forum has probably saved you that much already, and will continue to save you money as you learn how to diagnose fix problems yourself and learn which modifications work without having to experiment on your own. Elite Explorer members see practically no ads, can add their own profile photo, upload photo attachments in all forums, and Media Gallery, create more private Conversations, and more. Join Today. Your support is greatly appreciated.

3. thepotroast

thepotroast Well-Known Member

City, State:
    Asheville, NC
    3rd Gen EB 4x4 V8
    Yes, the 30mm is correct. And you know you have to replace the entire hub assembly which contains the pressed bearing, you can't just do the bearing itself. I'm only basing that from the post of your title.

Be in store for a "fun" job. Search for the thread on removing the front hubs, made by High_Order1

I believe it's on the 2nd or 3rd page right now.

4. palegre

palegre New Member

City, State:
    Countryside, Illinois
    2003 XLT 4x4
    Awesome! Thank you very much for your quick response. Now I can move forward, make my ride a quiet one again. LOL