• Register Today It's free!

2003 XLT 4x4 Hub Bearing

palegre

Reaction score
City, State
Countryside, Illinois
Year, Model & Trim Level
2003 XLT 4x4
I have a 2003 Explorer XLT 4x4. Need to swap the hub bearings for new ones. I'm reading conflicting posts on the axle nut size. I'm told that it should be a 1-1/4 size socket. The Ford dealer told me 32mm. However, when I fit the 32mm socket on the bolt it was too big. I went back and this time with axle cover off of the wheel to hopefully fit a socket on the bolt at the parts store parking lot rather than run back and forth. A 30mm seemed to fit correctly. Does this sound right?

I have a 2003 Explorer XLT 4x4. Need to swap the hub bearings for new ones. I'm reading conflicting posts on the axle nut size. I'm told that it should be a 1-1/4 size socket. The Ford dealer told me 32mm. However, when I fit the 32mm socket on the bolt it was too big. I went back and this time with axle cover off of the wheel to hopefully fit a socket on the bolt at the parts store parking lot rather than run back and forth. A 30mm seemed to fit correctly. Does this sound right?

Yes, the 30mm is correct. And you know you have to replace the entire hub assembly which contains the pressed bearing, you can't just do the bearing itself. I'm only basing that from the post of your title.

Be in store for a "fun" job. Search for the thread on removing the front hubs, made by High_Order1

I believe it's on the 2nd or 3rd page right now.

Awesome! Thank you very much for your quick response. Now I can move forward, make my ride a quiet one again. LOL

Back