2003 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Not Yet

Reaction score
City, State
Seattle, WA
Year, Model & Trim Level
'00 F-150, '76 Bronco
Anyone else catch the "RPM" section of the Feb. '01 Four Wheeler? According to the magazine, the 2003 Jeep Wrangler TJ will have a "hard core off-road package" consisting of rock rails, Dana 44's with lockers FRONT AND REAR, rear disc brakes and an NVG 241J transfer case with a 4:1 low range. WOW!!!!

Sounds like Jeep is pulling away even further from the rest (READ: FORD), doing what many of us have suggested: give us options from the factory that we're going (or would like) to do through the aftermarket.

Any more rumors of Ford building something to keep our business? They're running short on time for some of us...

I was checking out my sister's '98 Sport over Christmas (I like that body style better than the new '01) and commented to my dad what a shame it is that Ford won't take that basic truck and make it off-road-able. He has commented several times that if they put an Early Bronco running gear/drivetrain (manual tranny/transfer case/hubs, solid axles, etc.) under and in that truck, "they'd really have something."

Oh, well...I'm beginning to accept that my next truck (SUV- I hate that term) is NOT going to be a Ford.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I could care less what JEEP makes, I'll never buy a Chrysler product.

There are rumors that Ford is making a truck to run against the Wrangler.

Just my .02

Matt:

I checked out your pics...I am impressed that you 'wheel that beautiful new truck so hard! I love those black wheels, too.

Well, you only live once!

You like the black wheels huh? Hmmm, those lasted about a two months before I got sick of them. Sold them to Riffman.

Most Explorer Limited's have adjustable air suspension that adjusts about 2-3 inches when in low range for increased body clearance, so to me that doesnt sound like such a big deal. And they put this on trucks that see paved road 90% of the time, only Limited ones I've seen offroad have been Andre's and someone who had a 99 with a Trailmaster lift, and I'm sure theres others, and occasionaly we use the low range when climbing up steep slick muddy slopes. Like I said, I dont find that as such a big deal. But I'm never gonna buy a Jeep anyway, so it dont really matter, now does it? :D

And Daimler/Chrysler is doing any better as a company? They announced yesterday that they're out of cash. 3 month ago they had 6 billion (yes, billion). They spend 2 on acquiring a couple companies, the other 4, who knows. Losses on sales, retooling, etc.
They're gonna have to float some bonds.

On top of running out of money they're looking to kill a few more models of cars too. In many ways they've left their old image of building a quality car, and moved into mass shipping them. Just look anywhere on the jeep. Those tires are smaller than a stock explorer, and skinny as heck too. I think I'll pass. We own a newer Yukon and I can honestly say that unless I'm towing something I'll pass. Those things are so poorly laid out. Four cupholders up front, none withen my reach from the drivers seat. The rear hatch is a pain in the butt to open, and it still uses a carb.

In my mind Ford is getting better with their newer explorers and the F series. They're keeping up with several other manufactures with the Taurus, the escape though...oops.

[Edited by leebo on 01-11-2001 at 06:11 PM]

Originally posted by leebo
We own a newer Yukon and I can honestly say that unless I'm towing something I'll pass. Those things are so poorly laid out. Four cupholders up front, none withen my reach from the drivers seat. The rear hatch is a pain in the butt to open, and it still uses a carb.

I will say...the V-8 does put out some power, and with the IFS the ride is better, and the extra room will come in handy, but I'd take an Expedition anyday.

If you ask me, Ford is on an upswing right now. They're revamping customer service and quality control (ie 2002 Explorer). Otherwise I agree with Jon, Ford is one of the worst run automotive companies in the industry. Theres hope though.

First off, let me say welcome to the site.

Now I must disagree. As someone who has owned both General Motors and Ford vehicles, let me say that Ford build quality, fit and finish, and ergonomics design are all literally worlds better than what you find on GM vehicles. Its like I say, these trucks arent the top sellers on earth for no reason, they are good vehicles. The GM Competition is good as well, and the Yukon/Suburban etc is a good vehicle. When you look both the trucks over though, especially the interiors, the Ford is better built.

As for the 4 Runner, its a good vehicle but I hate to break it to you, its built here in America.

Rubicon & Moab?!?

Peter:

Explorers on Rubicon and Moab? I'm impressed! You guys must've caught some funny looks from the Jeep and other fellas!

Please tell us about the trucks in the Rubicon pics, especially Tom's Navajo (specs, mods, etc.).

Again, I'm impressed...one of my concerns about sticking with Ford (i.e., Explorer Sport, maybe 91-94) is that it seems it would cost a hell of a lot more to set up an Explorer than it would a Jeep (TJ). TTB/IFS (Ford) vs. solid front axle (Jeep) is another huge consideration, in my opinion.

Bill
78 Bronco

I'm not married to Ford (nor Land Rover :D ) I do like a lot both new SUV concepts of Ford, the Ford Ex (this now could be our Wrangler Fighter we were building) but also the Explorer Sportsman.

But if Ford decides to let them die as concepts, and Jeep brings something for the real world, then ...

I have been keeping up on DCX's situation via the Wall Street Journal...they are definately getting ready to hit some hard times. It's a real shame, though, because they seriously seem to want to give the public what they want. The 300M, Prowler, Viper, Jeep, etc., etc. Ford, on the other hand, could care less what we wanted, yet we buy their Explorers in droves. GM is spread too thin to be profitable. Plus the quality of their products is crap. My next vehicle will probably be an import, to be honest.

On a related note, has anyone seen the new Jeep Liberty? I still haven't decided whether I like it or not. I would've rather they have gone with the concept Dakar (4-door hardtop Wrangler). BTW, in not-Jeep tradition, the designers went with an :eek:IFS:eek:...what is this world coming to? A Jeep without a solid axle? The end times are near, my friends...;)

010801_Liberty.jpg

[Edited by FlyAU on 01-12-2001 at 12:39 PM]

Originally posted by FlyAU
On a related note, has anyone seen the new Jeep Liberty? I still haven't decided whether I like it or not. I would've rather they have gone with the concept Dakar (4-door hardtop Wrangler).
I have decided: I do like it, even though I also would have preferred the Dakar :D

MY OPINION

*DISCLAIMER: THIS IS MY PERSONAL OPINION ON THE TOPIC*

Ford is like the grandfather of this whole automotive SUV industry, they practically invented this new SUV market, starting with the Broncos and coming up, and no other company cant match them, but they all try and thats why we have so many poorly put together laid out vehicles trying to top Explorers, Expeditions, Excursions, and anything else, and they cant do it. That is why Ford has the top selling SUV in the country. I would rather push a Ford or a Dodge then drive an import car, Toyota, Mitsubishi, or any of those other ugly bubble looking, topheavy things they call SUV's. Thats why I hate when my uncles (in good fun, even) make fun of how the news is flaming about how the EXPLORER rolls over and causes so many injuries. I guess they dont hear enough stories about Blazers or any import SUV's getting rolled. I think a Mitsubishi Montero thing would roll a helluva lot easier than our Explorer since its much lower to the ground, I could push one of those things over. Hehe, kinda like that episode of the Simpsons where they moved out to a farm and Homer was talking with a guy across a fence while he was sitting on his tractor and the guy threw him an ear of corn and it hit the tractor and the tractor flipped over on Homer, that was hilarious. Well, I stated my honest opinion, hopefully some share my feelings.

Well I agree with you in SOME ways Grant. The Explorer is a great vehicle, but there is serious competition also. The Pathfinder, 4Runner are strong competitors etc. Things are getting tight in this SUV market, and Ford has made the step they needed to make with the 2002 to stay competitive. As with the Expedition, yes its a nice vehicle but in all honesty, the new Toyota Sequoia is nicer. Its bigger, higher quality and smoother and quieter for about the same cost. And it also has a manually locking transfer case. As for Ford being the grandfather of SUVs, I can't agree with that. The vehicle that started the current SUV craze was undoubtedly the Jeep Cherokee. If it wasnt for that vehicle, what we now drive wouldnt even exist.

Ex (?) & Sportsman?

Michael:

What's this about the Ex (?) and the Explorer Sportsman you mentioned? Are they current concepts, and if so, any links to pics and/or specs?

I wont buy any vehicle that starts with "TOY", hehe :D

Stephen, what I meant by that was Ford started this whole SUV competition thing, because Jeep sure didnt start it. People were crazy about the Broncos and they did them one better with the introduction of the Explorer. Sure, Jeep does have the off-road capability heritage, but you sure dont see as many of them as you do the Explorers. But I cant agree with you on Jeep starting the SUV craze, because SUV's werent nothing until the Bronco and Explorer were introduced. The Bronco II was the ideal second car for alot of American families, and it passed that onto the Exp. But yeah, I do agree about the Expedition. They look awesome, and they're huge inside, but there could be better, even though I've never seen that Sequoia. But I never would need either of them anyway, too big for such a little person :)

Grant, BUT, the Cherokee was the very first mid sized 4 door wagon type SUV. The Explorer was brought out by Ford to compete with the Cherokee. The Bronco was popular enough, but the Bronco II never was because it was only 2 door. The Cherokee was much more practical for a family. Plus before that Jeep really had the first big luxury type SUV with the Wagoneer. The Cherokee came out in 84, and the Explorer was brought out 7 years later because the Cherokee was such a big success. Seeing that, I just cant say that Ford started the SUV craze with the Explorer. Even the Blazer existed before the Explorer did.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Ok, this modern-day SUV craze :D I suppose you would know, since I wasnt even around then....

Back