Dismiss Notice

Register Today It's free! This box and some ads will disappear once registered!

Discussion in 'Auto Industry News' started by Not Yet, January 5, 2001.

^^Searches ExplorerForum.com^^

Do Not Sell My Personal Information

1. FlyAU

FlyAU Well-Known Member

City, State:
    Atlanta, GA
    Year, Model & Trim Level:
    2013 GLI, 2013 Escape
    [Edited by FlyAU on 01-14-2001 at 12:08 PM]

2. Support EF

Join the Elite Explorers for $20.

Explorer Forum has probably saved you that much already, and will continue to save you money as you learn how to diagnose fix problems yourself and learn which modifications work without having to experiment on your own. Elite Explorer members see practically no ads, can add their own profile photo, upload photo attachments in all forums, and Media Gallery, create more private Conversations, and more. Join Today. Your support is greatly appreciated.

3. jimbo74

jimbo74 Elite Exploder

Media:
    Albums:
    City, State:
    Nor*Cal
    2001, F150, XLT 4x4
    my opinion

i think all new trucks suck (exception of a few) all the trucks now a days are turning into cars with big tires and 4 drive wheels notice i didnt say 4 wheel drive because many have an all wheel drive system or an automatic slippage sensor that engages all 4 wheels. not to be a pain or anything but i saw an audi suv it is a wagon with a 5.5 inch adjustable suspension. it has a race setting, a street setting, a trail/unpaved road setting and a off-road setting but it still always operates in all wheel drive i hate that but i think its cool if you never plan to go mudding with it and dont want to spend the gas money but its an audi so it really is going to cost the same anyway

4. donkey boy

donkey boy Well-Known Member

City, State:
    Rome, GA
    '01 WJ
    Disappointed about OUR reaction

Not Yet

Yes they are in my opinion very cool Ford concepts currently exposed in Detroit. You can see them (and all the concept of the other brands) at http://www.auto.com/2001show/

Guys, I feel a kind of sorry for the Ford engineers. We (me included) love to give Ford a hard time about almost everything, most of all about just thinking about building SUVs for soccermoms and Co. and not considering our "needs", the hardcore off-roaders - in which ever stage of hardcore we are.

Now, Ford brings two really cool concept cars: The Explorer Sportsman (which I really like) and the Ford EX, probably one of the most hard core offroader ever presented by a big car manufacturer. mike fox and Sinjin started two threads on this board regarding these vehicles: http://www.explorerforum.com/forums/showthread.php?threadid=23777 and http://www.explorerforum.com/forums/showthread.php?threadid=23773 and I mentioned them in this thread.

And what happens here? Almost nothing

There are 5 replies on Mikes and 9 on Sinjins post, but about 30 in a really stupid discussion if the Toy 4Runner has a fricton more groundclearance.

Ford just presented a concept closer to a Sniper than any other manufacturer ever had, probably a dream of a Wrangler-Fighter, and what's the reaction of our board, that we should be one of Ford's elite off-road breed? Nothing!

So we really should not wonder that Ford is concentrating on cars for soccermoms, if not even we can appreciate their effort; they at least appreciate the extra cupholder in the new model.

5. Stephen

Stephen Moderator In Memoriam Elite In Memoriam

City, State:
    Annapolis, MD
    '97 Limited
    Jim, Thats the Audi Allroad. Its not an SUV at all its more of a Subaru Outback concept taken a step further. I drove one, its a great vehicle and it'll do more offroad than you'd expect. When you raise it, it has a lot of ground clearance. Aside from being hideously ugly on the outside (like all new Audis save the current A4 and A8, but their hideously ugly replacements are on the way) its a great solution for someone who wants a vehicle for offroad fun, but wants it as a daily driver also. Also, with a cost of almost $60,000 I think its way over the top.

Mike, like I said on the other thread, people here are disgusted, and we all know these vehicles will never see production. THATS why there is so little response.

6. jimbo74

jimbo74 Elite Exploder

Media:
    Albums:
    City, State:
    Nor*Cal
    2001, F150, XLT 4x4
    im not really trying to diss it i just think it costs way too muck my explorer when all said and done (well kinda) will only have cost me around 15000 im in the process of buying from my parents its a 1994 xlt 4x4 6 way dual power seats leather factory premium casstette class 2 tow package in the bumper all the goodies im getting it for 8000 and it blues for 9000-13000

7. Stephen

Stephen Moderator In Memoriam Elite In Memoriam

City, State:
    Annapolis, MD
    '97 Limited
    Oh I agree its expensive, but its not really overpriced when you look at what its supposed to compete with.

Lexus LX470

Range Rover

BMW 540i Sport Wagon

Mercedes-Benz E320 4 Matic Wagon

BMW X5........etc

8. jimbo74

jimbo74 Elite Exploder

Media:
    Albums:
    City, State:
    Nor*Cal
    2001, F150, XLT 4x4
    true very true i just think all those types of suvs just cost way too much im not really dissing them i just dont like how all trucks now adays are cars with bigger tires

9. Chief

Chief New Member

City, State:
    Bedford, NH AIM: Chief Miscreant
    '01 Acura 3.2TL
    The more modern suspension on the Liberty was said to have passed all of Jeeps off-road tests, and by the looks of some automotive previews, it's true. As for the new Liberty, it looks like a cross between the Dakar Concept, the current Wrangler and the Jeepster concept.

10. Anime

Anime EF YEAH!! Elite Explorer

Media:
    Albums:
    2018 EX Sport Concept
    heh

In case anyone forgot, Ford, Chevrolet, and Dodge arent "American" vehicles anymore...Toyota, Honda, Mazda, Mitsubishi, etc also arent just "Japanese" either.

Alot of the vehciles, including the Explorer and other SUVs, are just taking the forms best suited to what customers are using them for. The most popular use is driving around town, and getting through the occasional rain/snowstorm. Sure about 2,000 ppl on here want em for off-road use, but out of a few million potential buyers, whats a big company go for? The 2,000 customers who want something that can climb a mountain, or the 2+ million who want something that can carry their kids, groceries, and get through bad weather without flipping over? Big companies go for the money..the profit...they HAVE to so they can stay in business.

I love the concepts and hope the ideas get used, but it seems better to me to ask Ford to offer special editions with modifications for our particular market, rather than expecting them to make us our own complete vehicle for it.

If J**p does make that special hardcore rockcrawler, it'll be interesting to see who buys it...and what happens i Joe Blow takes it out on the road in snow and is going a little too fast...mmm lockers