2004 4.0L SOHC Doesn't start | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

bwoeb

Reaction score
City, State
Seattle, WA
I've got a 2004 4.0 L which will not start. It all started about a year ago, I was driving on the freeway, when the engine went into failsafe mode. The electronics were still working, but I had no throttle response and the power steering went out along with the power brakes (a bit scary at 70mph).

I pulled over, and the thing would not start again. I had it towed back to my property, where I was building a house. Unfortunately, with the house project in full swing, I was not able to fix the car until just this year. It sat for about a year with this problem.

Here are my symptoms:
1. Turn key, engine cranks and cranks, but doesn't start.
2. I don't get the check engine light, and I think I'm supposed to when ignition is turned to accessories
3. I get a low oil pressure indicator light, as well as low oil pressure in the readout. (Oil level is OK, checking dipstick)
4. I do get spark at the plugs
5. I believe I'm getting fuel, because when I'm cranking the engine, I smell fuel in the garage.

These are the things I've done so far:
1. Replaced the Harmonic balancer pulley and Crank Position Sensor (I believe this to be the original problem, as the pulley separated and ate through the sensor exposing the metal inside. It also chewed through the refrigerant line and leaked all my AC coolant)
2. Replaced Electronic Throttle Body
3. Replaced plugs, wires, and coil pack.
4. Replaced fuel filter
5. Added HEET to fuel tank to offset potential water accumulation from sitting for so long.
6. Checked to make sure computer isn't dead by checking ref voltage at TPS (I get somewhere just over 4V with ignition in accessories position)

I'm not sure where to go from here...

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I read the codes on the X and found these:
P0122
P0223
P2106
P2110
P0121
P1000
P2072
U2023
U1900

I have replaced the whole Electronic Throttle Body including the TPS. Does anybody have any information on testing if the PCM is bad and needs to be replaced vs going after other troubleshooting steps?

No TPS communication

P0122: Throttle/Petal Position Sensor/Switch A Circuit Low Input
P0223: Throttle/Petal Position Sensor/Switch B Circuit High Input
P2106: Throttle Actuator Control System - Forced Limited Power
P2110: Throttle Actuator Control System - Forced Limited Revolutions Per Minute
P0121: Throttle Position Sensor Range
P1000: On Board Diagnostics II Monitor/Drive Cycle Test Not Complete
P2072: Throttle Actuator Control System - Ice Blockage
U2023: External Node Malfunction
U1900: Controller Area Network Communication Bus Malfunction Receive Malfunction

I'm not familiar with the 3rd generation but to me your codes indicate that the TPS is not communicating with the PCM. Check the wiring to/from the TPS for opens or shorts.

* TPS has intermittent open or short internally
* Harness is rubbing and causing an open or short in the wiring
(maybe the harmonic balancer cut thru some other wires as well)
* Bad connection at the TPS (try the wiggle
test)
* Bad PCM (less likely)
* Water or corrosion in connector or sensor

Streetrod and Rick,

Thank you for the replies. I replaced the entire electronic throttle body, so I don't expect any problems with the TPS, as it is brand new.

I should probably check the wires for shorts, but its such a pain to trace those wires through all the little places they go.

I was able to get the engine to run this weekend. I checked all the fuses in the main fuse box. Then pulled out, cleaned, and re-installed the same cam position sensor. I also drained as much of the old fuel as possible and put in some new gas.

When I got it running, it seemed to be "missing". When I provide a bit more throttle, it evened out and ran smooth, but when I reduce the throttle to idle it would start missing and die again.

I'm also getting a P2195 O2 Sensor Signal Stuck Lean bank1 Sensor1
From reading other posts, it sounds like this could be from a MAF sensor gummed up, or perhaps one or more injectors needs to be cleaned or replaced. Does anybody have any suggestions on what I should go after first.

It was very exciting to have it running again after being down for a year! I'm looking forward to being actually able to drive it again!

Thanks for the help guys.

Back