2004 Explorer. Rear differential cover removal. | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

2004 Explorer. Rear differential cover removal.

whollstop

Reaction score
City, State
Indianapolis, IN
Year, Model & Trim Level
2004 Limited
Hello everyone. Does anyone know how you remove the read diff. cover on a 2004 Explorer? Mine is leaking and needs to be removed and re-siliconed. Thank you in advance for any help. :usa::usa::usa::usa:

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Thank you

Thank you for the link. Man, that looks like a pain in the butt to just repair a leaking diff. cover. Do you think if I bought a gasket and cut it in half that if I removed the bolts that hold the cover on I could fit the gasket between the cover and the housing?

I would double ck for axle or pinion seal leaks first, the rear cover never leaks unless someone had it apart before.

Thanks

They do make and sell both a fel-pro and mr. gasket. I just didn't know if it would fit in that small space. The diff. cover has been off due to the dealer removing it for a recall on the limited slip. The problem is that was back in 2005 and it's just now starting to leak.

Welcome to this forum! I've moved your thread into the transmissions, transfer cases, and differentials section. Your profile says that you have a 2001, but the thread says that you have a 2004. Do you own both vehicles or is there a mistake? :confused:

2004 Explorer Limited

I have an 04 Limited.

Back