2004 ford explorer camber/caster issue | Page 2 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

2004 ford explorer camber/caster issue

No problem, was just surprised to see anything mentioned on the matter since I can laser align all 4 in factory spec with good suspension and steering components sans fancy shims.

Only really seem to have issues with Super Duties and have to change upper ball jt cam occasionally since factory sleeve can get damaged.

I have replaced both lower ball joints, one upper control arm, both inner tie rods, both wheel hub assemblies, and both cv shafts. I don't know how far out of spec that would cause it to be. Probably should have replaced the other control arm, but it didn't look bad and the ball joint was pretty stiff.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I just went thru this with my "05" XLT. A local shop replaced the shims with large flat washers. There was a bulletin sent out by ford that addressed this. It showed up at All Data. He stuck me for $50 a side for labor. I was told they were needed because my camber was just outside tolerances.

I just went thru this with my "05" XLT. A local shop replaced the shims with large flat washers. There was a bulletin sent out by ford that addressed this. It showed up at All Data. He stuck me for $50 a side for labor. I was told they were needed because my camber was just outside tolerances.

That is technically the Ford spec way of doing it. Although doing it that way requires a special Ford tool that clamps on to make the fine adjustments.

Glad to find this thread. After physically (only partially financially) recovering from another timing chain and guide replacement and a transmission rebuild, the 03 XLT is wearing the inside of the tires all the way around. I replaced both front hubs several weeks ago too. I know I have to replace bushings and links for the rear sway bar, but I was trying to research the possible camber issue today, as tires will be needed before winter. I think I still have a subscription for AllData for the 03 XLT, is there a "best" solution for this?

Thanks.

That is technically the Ford spec way of doing it. Although doing it that way requires a special Ford tool that clamps on to make the fine adjustments.
Thanks for the input. Can the camber be set without the ford tool? This is the first time that I used this shop. I am hoping that I didn't get taken for a ride. In this area good mechanics are few and far between. I have found that if you want it done right.. do it yourself

Thanks for the input. Can the camber be set without the ford tool? This is the first time that I used this shop. I am hoping that I didn't get taken for a ride. In this area good mechanics are few and far between. I have found that if you want it done right.. do it yourself

Probably. They might of had the tool.

AMG_T40253_P04_ANG__ra_p.jpg

More Information for MOOG T40253

Back