2004 ford explorer won't start..not the battery. | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

2004 ford explorer won't start..not the battery.

Em1014

Reaction score
Year, Model & Trim Level
2004 ford explorer
I have a 2004 ford explorer that's always been a hassle. The security theft system has never worked properly. The key will not come out of the ignition free the truck is completely off. Now the truck won't start when the battery is all connected and less than a year old. When I turn the key to start the car, all the warning lights come on and the truck powers up but nothing happens. I have no clue why it won't start, please help!

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

No clicking or anything?

No clicking or sounds from the engine. My boyfriend took a look and thinks it's the alternator but he wasn't sure at all

It wouldn't be the alternator. Starter perhaps. But they fail whilst still usually making noise. Unless the cable positive or negative is bad to the starter. You could pull the positive cable from the starter and test to see if it as power while trying to start the vehicle.
But something else you said makes the key suspect. If the car isn't recognizing the key, then it wouldn't start either.

It had something to do with the security system. Once I turned it off them back on it started again.

Back