Dismiss Notice

Register Today It's free! This box will disappear once registered!

2004 Ford Explorer XLS sporadic misfire on all cylinders

Discussion in 'Stock 2002 - 2005 Explorers' started by Kentucky Reign, March 28, 2013.

• Searches ExplorerForum.com
    1. Kentucky Reign

Kentucky Reign New Member

City, State:
      Glendale, Ky
      Year, Model & Trim Level:
      2004 Ford Explorer
      Please someone help! It only does this at Idle. My mechanic has checked/changed fuel trim, plugs, coil pack, wires, timing chain, fuel pressure, fuel filter, etc..the basic stuff you would think of. I took it to the dealer today and had the PCM flashed with the latest software as he thought that may help. It didnt. There are no codes, I've only noticed because I'm in the car 7 hrs a day driving and noticed it shaking more than usual at red lights. I'm thinkiing maybe the PCM may be going but I'd like some other opinions. It was replaced 8 years ago right after it was bought. I have no other idea what it may be. Crankshaft sensor? Cam Sensor? This particular model doesn't have an IAC. I dont know but I am stumped

2. Support EF

Join the Elite Explorers for $20

Explorer Forum has probably saved you that much already, and will continue to save you money as you learn how to diagnose fix problems yourself and learn which modifications work without having to experiment on your own. Elite Explorer members see practically no ads, can add their own profile photo, upload photo attachments in all forums, and Media Gallery, create more private Conversations, and more. Join Today. Your support is greatly appreciated.

3. pet575

pet575 Active Member

City, State:
      Kansas City, MO
      2004 Limited
      Might be as simple as a vacuum leak before you go getting into timing chains, cam/crankshaft sensors, etc. Have you had someone check it out by spraying water or brake fluid on the vacuum lines with it running to see if that changes anything?

4. rmcknight

rmcknight Active Member

City, State:
      Melbourne, Australia
      2004 4.6 SOHC v8 Explorer
      Last edited: March 29, 2013