Stephen

Moderator In Memoriam
Elite In Memoriam
Reaction score
City, State
Annapolis, MD
Year, Model & Trim Level
'97 Limited
Ford will introduce a new Transmission into the Explorer and some other light trucks for model year 2004. Called the "Powershift", it looks like a pretty big tech leap. The tranny will have 6 forward automatic gears, it will also have a extra low 7th gear for off the line grunt while towing. The 7th gear will be activated by a switch on the dash. The new transmission will improve grunt off the line, fuel economy by 7-8%, shift quality, plus, they hope to see it last at least 150,000 miles without any major overhauls. Sounds like a pretty good tranny if you ask me, thoughts?

------------------
Stephen Withrow
StephenLS400@aol.com
------------------
97 Explorer Limited 4X4 SOHC V6
98 Lexus LS400

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Hey Stephen,
Do you think it will be able to fit in our Explorers?

------------------
Happy Wheelin'
Ray L.
97 XLT 4X4 4.0L SOHC
Dead Link Removed

That's an interesting question. I'm not sure. I think the SOHC is unchanged in the 01, and the 04 will be identical. I don't see why not. We'll have to wait and see the specs when they are oficially released.

------------------
Stephen Withrow
StephenLS400@aol.com
------------------
98 Lexus LS400

What about fitting that into an older say 93 Explorer? By then I'll have around 120,000 on my tranny and it MAY need to be replaced.
Always keep your options open.

------------------
Nick
'93 XLT 4 Door 4x4
Bosch Plat+4's with SplitFire Dual Core wires and a
K&N Air Filter with a Modified Air Box

Nick, I have a feeling you may need the SOHC engine. I could be wrong though.

------------------
Stephen Withrow
StephenLS400@aol.com
------------------
98 Lexus LS400

what exactly is the difference between sohc and whatever i have in my '93 sport?

------------------
'93 explorer sport 4x4

Just bought a 04 XLT and tranny jumps a little (rougher) more off the start than my old 91 xlt. Will tell you how it pulls my boat out next month... Whit

Your telling Me!

And we see Ford never made this transmission :(

"Power Shift" is a John Deere transmission. And what good is an automatic when you can have a stick? Well I guess you can't have a stick Explorer any more (shame Ford) :thumbdwn:

There is still a six speed in rumors, for the Explorer line. I don't remember if it was one trans, or more, for all engines. Night,
Don

Yeah, any slush box is a worthless POS compared to a manual. Nothing gets me more aggravated than when I think about how the auto manufacturers are moving away from putting manuals in light trucks. It just makes me sick!

True. With Ford, only the Ranger (any trim level I guess) and the XLS base Escape can have a stick. It can be 4x4 though, but no switch or low range. No Explorer offers a manual anymore. 2002 4 doors and 2003 Sports (and I believe 2003 Sport Tracs) were the last of those. And only certain cars offer manuals. I guess Focus, Mustang, and the GT. Not available on new F150s. The day that Super Dutys loose sticks is the day I die, cuz the world is bad enough as it is.

Yeah, I know, the manufacturers are just trying to stay in business. So I guess its the consumers fault!

The only vehicle that ford, or any other manufacturer, makes right now that I would even consider buying is the Ranger. But even that has that crappy, worthless, IFS garbage. I'll just have to keep my 92 forever. Ford actually made vehicles the right way in 92; no IFS and standard slush box crap.

Stephen said:
Fact of the matter is though, the vast majority of buyers simply don't want sticks...

Me I'd love a stick. But the one I drove in a '03 ranger was the worst I'd ever gotten my hands on. My old '65 F700 had a better stick then that. That's ashame these days.

Want a stick!

Yes, I'm keeping my 92 XLT with the 5 speed stick....forever :navajo: .

I have the Mazda manual trans and it isn't the greatest (hard to shift into 1st when hot, even after an overhaul :roll: ) but its still better than any automatic!

I was really disappointed when Ford dropped the manual from the Explorer :fire: . If (when?) my Ex croaks, I don't know what I'd get to replace it; just can't get a similarly-equipped new Explorer. If they made the Escape XLT with the V6 and manual transmission, it would be a lot like the Explorer Sport, but the manual is only available in the base XLS model with the 2.3 L engine. I think 2.3 L is too small for the Escape, even though its rated at 153 hp. (Odd that the 1st gen Explorer with the manual is only rated at 145 hp, why?).

The Nissan Xterr and maybe the Toyota 4 Runner are available with a stick, but do I want an import SUV? :thumbdwn:

Gotta have a stick! BTW Happy New Year :usa: :exporange :D

Bob

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I will never let mine go into retirement. I will continue to replace the engine, transmission, body/paint, axles, frame, and every other part that breaks on it. One day it will get to a point when all the parts for it are out of manufacter and are not possible to replace. Then I will have to have all the parts (engine, transmission, body, etc...) custom recontructed. This will cost hundreds of thousands of dollars, but thats how much I like the vehicle.

One thing is for sure: I will never, ever own a vehicle equipped with an automatic transmission. That doesn't mean that my future wife or children wont, but I will never own an automatic for myself.

Back