2004 Sees a new transmission | Page 2 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

2004 Sees a new transmission

As stated above, most people dont want sticks. Correct but a vast majority of the people out there, dont know even how to drive one. Five years from now you all will be hard pressed to find a stick shift out there, with out having to jump through hoops to order it. Maybe we can get the shifters like the Lexus Gs, on the steering wheel has paddle ****ers, No clutch that I'm aware of. What do u all think,,and by the way fellas, dont shoot that idea down too quickly! :)

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Just a turning of the page in the auto industry i guess!

Yeah well,

The day that I can't get a vehicle with a manual transmission (AND a clutch because this is what makes them so much better) is the day that I stop buying vehicles from the auto industry and start making my own. And I'm dead serious.

I think here at Serious Explorations more of us tend to favor manuals over autos because we all know of the auto problems brought up. If I ever have to sell mine (and I won't) I'll do it here.

I wish I would have bought a '93 4 door Eddie Bauer 4x4 touch drive with a stick that was for sale here long ago. $3000 and in really nice shape.

Or at an auto auction I was at a while back, there was a '96 4 door XLT with Control Trac is nice shape with a stick. Very very nice shape. I watched it go through the auction, and nobody bid on it at $2000. The auctioneer said "come on. Is the entire other side wiped out or something?" I really wish I would have bought this.

Twice, I have seen a 3rd generation 4 door stick. Someday I'll have one.

we'll if they keep up developing land all you off roaders wont have a place to use your toys. Guess that's the general thought process in the automotive industry, AKA Pre-runners, Make them look good, rough, and yet put a auto in the drive train as for they wont see dirt or off road duty. Shades of things to come, just wait! Clutches are on the way out. So all u fellas, and ladies (pc here) better take care of the x's you have. MIGHT be collectors items one day! What say u? :)

I think it has more to do with being enthusiasts. People who like driving like manuals. If I didnt sit in traffic around here all day and drive downtown as much as I do I'd drive a manual, I used to always drive manuals. I once swore I'd never drive anything with an auto and anything with 4 doors...well times change lol

That just goes to show you how rare a car enthusiast is nowadays.

Sad, but true. The stick is a pain in heavy traffic, but not unbearable. The vast majority of drivers these days, especially of SUV's, which have become family cars, don't want and don't know how to drive a stick. So, our choices are very limited. You can still get a Ranger or Nissan Xterra, or Ford Escape (base model only) with a stick, or one of the Subaru wagons that they insist on calling SUV's.

I still think the stick gives better gas milage and better control of acceleration, engine/drivetrain braking, especially in snow.

I've been poking around on Escape-central.com and a lot of Escape owners would have liked the V6 with a stick, if it were available. I read a lot of complaints about the Escape's automatic transmission, too. The last thing I'd want is an unreliable automatic (I hear the VW auto trans isn't too good, either). With a manual, there's so much less to go wrong.

Bob

After Driving a Ford Stick

Stephen said:
Fact of the matter is though, the vast majority of buyers simply don't want sticks...
I test drove a Ranger before I bought my Explorer. It had a Stick, I like sticks my last four cars had them. But I gota tell Ya, the Ford's Stick was crappy to drive. Maybe my Acura Integra spoiled me, But even my Chevy C-30 pickup with a granny gear drove better than that Ranger. I'd like to have an Explorer with a stick, But not with "that" stick.

HR57 said:
I test drove a Ranger before I bought my Explorer. It had a Stick, I like sticks my last four cars had them. But I gota tell Ya, the Ford's Stick was crappy to drive. Maybe my Acura Integra spoiled me, But even my Chevy C-30 pickup with a granny gear drove better than that Ranger. I'd like to have an Explorer with a stick, But not with "that" stick.

That's interesting. I was considering a Ranger as an eventual replacement for my Ex, precisely because it has the cargo room and an available stick.

I thought that the manual transmission in the Ex and the Ranger would be the same, but maybe not. The stick in my ex is no sports car tranny, though. Good gear ratios, but not a short shifter. You know you're driving a truck, so maybe the Integra did indeed spoil you.

I have considered every 4WD or AWD vehicle and I don't like anything better than my 1st gen Ex 4dr, 4WD stick!

Bob

You need to find a short throw Hurst. They were intended for Rangers but a fella with an Ex installed it and it works fine. Said the shifts are about 2''

Back