1. Register Today It's free! This box and some ads will disappear once registered!

Dismiss Notice

2004 xlt Rebuilt Trans Down but cause is unclear

Discussion in 'Stock 2002 - 2005 Explorers' started by scotch4ever, March 3, 2015.

^^Searches ExplorerForum.com^^

Do Not Sell My Personal Information

1. scotch4ever

scotch4ever New Member

City, State:
    Cincinnati, OH
    Year, Model & Trim Level:
    2004 Ford Explorer XLT
    2004 Ford Explorer XLT
    4x2
    4.0 Engine
    5R55S Transmission

Last June I had my transmission rebuilt at approx 147,000 and now with approx 159, 000 I am down again. The system which brought me back to the shop was the o/d light flashing in addition to the check engine light. When the pan was removed it had metal shavings in the fluid. After examining the transmission the mechanic who rebuilt the transmission is claiming I must have been spinning my tires and damaged it. Here is the rub, I had no known instance of tire spinning with my vehicle and if anything have been treating it with kid gloves in regards to driving. I even rent cars for any trips 2 hours or more out of town.

To add to my frustration I learned that my transmission case is damaged and needs to be replaced, too. I feel like I am throwing a stack of Benjamin's into a fan with this vehicle.

My question: Is there anything which could cause the same damage of "spinning tires" in a transmission that has nothing to do with "spinning tires"? Meaning another component causing the transmission to run faster or slower than it is supposed to? I want the problem to be fixed and not be dealing with the symptoms.

Other items which may or may not be of importance:
    1) when I bought the vehicle is had over sized tires which i replaced with stock sized tires.
    2) vehicle died in shop and we had to have ford remake a key as the original key and chip failed.

2. Support EF

Join the Elite Explorers for $20.

Explorer Forum has probably saved you that much already, and will continue to save you money as you learn how to diagnose fix problems yourself and learn which modifications work without having to experiment on your own. Elite Explorer members see practically no advertisements, can add their own profile photo, upload photo attachments in all forums, and Media Gallery, create more private Conversations, and more. Join Today. Your support is greatly appreciated.

3. Number4

Number4 "I'm counting to 3, then I'm getting your dad." Elite Explorer

City, State:
    Woodstock, GA
    04 Ford Explorer 4.6l
    Did they perform all the required TSB's when they rebuilt it? Research the TSB's and be prepared when you speak with them. Servo bores are what come to mind but I think there's at least one more.
    If they didn't perform any of these required tear down fixes, then you are in trouble because you're dealing with an incompetent transmission shop.

Spinning your tires! lol. I love it, customer service nowadays. Always deflect an issue upfront to make the customer aware it's their problem and not yours. What a POS that mechanic is! He knows it's on him and apparently doesn't want word of mouth business.
    I'm sure you'll go around telling everyone what great work they did.

SAMS club pissed me off back in '96. To this day I steer business away from them. Think I've told more than 15 people!

4. scotch4ever

scotch4ever New Member

City, State:
    Cincinnati, OH
    2004 Ford Explorer XLT
    I will look up the TSB's. Thank you.

5. Number4

Number4 "I'm counting to 3, then I'm getting your dad." Elite Explorer

City, State:
    Woodstock, GA
    04 Ford Explorer 4.6l
    TSB's

Here are the notable ones. They may not all apply. Certainly the servo bores should have been done. If they weren't, then your rebuilt trans was always on borrowed time.

Attached Files:

6. scotch4ever

scotch4ever New Member

City, State:
    Cincinnati, OH
    2004 Ford Explorer XLT
    Thank you for the extra TBS documents. I found the Servo Bore but not the others.

Cheers,