• Register Today It's free!

2005 Explorer Roof Rack Removal

crazyroofr

Reaction score
City, State
Willow Street, PA
Year, Model & Trim Level
2005 Ford Explorer
I couldn't find any place where someone explained hot to remove the stock rack on the 2005. It's pretty easy, remove the front and rear covers. If your trying to save them, lift it up easy and get something thin between the cover and base piece ( flat screw driver worked for me, but a putty knife would do too). Slide the cover away from the bar to disengage the factory fastener and get to the torx bolts. Once the front and back torx are out, you slide the rail towards you to get the center post to come undone and expose the factory fasteners. Reinstall the factory fasteners & seal them if your not putting something else up there. The middle fasteners stick up, so have a plan or put up with how it looks if you don't want the rack on your Explorer any more. I'm putting the Rhino-Rack track on mine so I can attach their bars with the ladder rack option. You shouldn't have to take off the crossbars but if they give you issues they come off pretty easy.

Thanks for sharing the details on the roof rack removal, crazyroofr.

Do you recall (I realize this post is 6 years old now) if there was a specific model of Rhino Tracks that you used?

The list of Rhino Tracks on their website is extensive and I'm not sure where to start.

I'm putting the Rhino-Rack track on mine so I can attach their bars with the ladder rack option.

Back