Dismiss Notice

Register Today It's free! This box and some ads will disappear once registered!

2005 Explorer XLT 4.0L Outside/Underhood A/C Clicking?

Discussion in 'Stock 2002 - 2005 Explorers' started by KeepOnExploring, December 4, 2016.

^^Searches ExplorerForum.com^^

1. KeepOnExploring

KeepOnExploring New Member

City, State:
    Seattle, WA
    Year, Model & Trim Level:
    2005 Ford Explorer XLT
    Hey,
    I have a 2005 Explorer XLT 4.0L and when the A/C or fan is running, it still works perfectly, there is a clicking noise coming from under the hood. It sounds like lifters lightly clicking would sound like but when you turn the fan or A/C off, the sound immediately stops. Anyone have any idea what that might be?
    Thanks!

Also,
    On another subject, my rear wiper and the rear sprayer will not work at all, multifunction switch has been replaced with no results. The manual does not point to a specific fuse being at fault because everything else works perfectly. Anyone had this issue?
    Thanks again to all.

2. Support EF

Elite Explorer 2 for 1 Sale! $20 for 2 years!

Explorer Forum has probably saved you that much already, and will continue to save you money as you learn how to diagnose fix problems yourself and learn which modifications work without having to experiment on your own. Elite Explorer members see practically no ads, can add their own profile photo, upload photo attachments in all forums, and Media Gallery, create more private Conversations, and more. Join Today. Your support is greatly appreciated.

3. Number Twelve

Number Twelve Active Member

City, State:
    15 miles west of Tampa Florida
    2005 Ford Explorer XLT
    1)Lack of oil in the Freon.
    2) There is a specific fuse and a specific relay.

4. KeepOnExploring

KeepOnExploring New Member

City, State:
    Seattle, WA
    2005 Ford Explorer XLT
    Number Twelve, thanks for the response. How do I add oil to the Freon, or should I just take it to my shop?
    Do you know what relay?
    Thanks!

5. TechGuru

TechGuru Well-Known Member

2003 XLS 4X4 4.0L FLEX
  6. lincolnshibuya

lincolnshibuya Active Member

City, State:
    kc mo
    2002 mercury mountaineer
    or simply you ac clutch is making the noise which is very common issue on fords.

7. TechGuru

TechGuru Well-Known Member

2003 XLS 4X4 4.0L FLEX
    he said clattering like lifters not one loud click.

My compressor was loud like lifters before it locked up. I would be replacing it now if I were the OP.

8. Number Twelve

Number Twelve Active Member

City, State:
    15 miles west of Tampa Florida
    2005 Ford Explorer XLT
    In the battery junction box F1-30 (20A) controls the rear wiper. I removed this fuse in my car to stop the rear wiper from working and the front squirter works just fine.

If that doesn't fix it, you really need the wiring diagram because the idiots who designed this, not only installed a microprocessor when an LM555 timer chip would do the job, they interlocked the washer motor so it has to ground through a front wiper relay to squirt the rear and ground through a rear wiper relay to squirt the front. So much better than just using a push-button.:rolleyes: I like the "interval" wipers but I don't want to keep buying rubber for the rear wiper, so I killed it by taking out the fuse.

As for that noise...a person really has to be there and listen carefully. I use a rubber tube stuck in my ear to locate sounds. The snout bearing might be rattling or the compressor might be complaining about a lack of oil, or just wearing out. Oil escapes from Freon leaks and people generally don't know that oil circulates with the Freon, so they don't replace it. If you never had a leak, you probably have serious compressor problems. If I recall correctly, you can't replace the clutch on these compressors because Ford had a better idea...lock them together so any clutch or bearing failure costs you the whole compressor and a major Freon System repair job.