• Register Today It's free!

2005 Ford Explorer Transmission

Fidel Martinez

Reaction score
City, State
Mount Airy
Year, Model & Trim Level
2005 Ford Explorer
Hello, I have a 2005 Explorer, (V6, rear wheel drive, over 210,000 miles). Yesterday I was driving on the highway with no problems, but when I stopped at a restaurant and restarted, first gear wouldn't kick in. The "CHECK TRANSMISSION" light came on and the "O/D Off" light started blinking. I was able to start driving when I put it in "3", and once I gained some speed, put it back in "D". Drove 35 miles back with no problems on the highway. Came to a stop and had to try the same method to make it all the way home. Tried to park in reverse but the reverse wouldn't kick in. Drove around the block using the method described above and parked head first. Haven't driven it since. Any help on the subject would be greatly appreciated.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

get the check trans codes if you have a reader or if you can gimp it to a auto zone or most part stores can get the codes for free

Without the code(s) it's like a "grab-bag" at a kids' birthday party. imp

Sounds like a broken input sprag but let's get the codes first before jumping to any conclusions.

Sounds like mine did before getting nearly immovable...was able to drive around somewhat regularly by moderating throttle to fool auto shift to avoid 3rd gear which was found to be missing part of it...once you get above 3rd gear, it worked ok until slowing down or stopping but revving up in low gear and pulling off throttle let it shift above 3rd...this was for a 5R55W trans

Sounds like a broken input sprag but let's get the codes first before jumping to any conclusions.
@JK080
James, out of curiosity, in your experience, have you ever seen a sprag clutch seize up, rather than just fail to lock-up in one direction? Back in the day of Cruuise-O-Matic, FX and FMX, failure of the sprag often took out (cracked) the cast iron case. As I see it, if one fails to lock up to provide power, the transmission just slips. imp

@JK080
James, out of curiosity, in your experience, have you ever seen a sprag clutch seize up, rather than just fail to lock-up in one direction? Back in the day of Cruuise-O-Matic, FX and FMX, failure of the sprag often took out (cracked) the cast iron case. As I see it, if one fails to lock up to provide power, the transmission just slips. imp

Sure especially the spring and roller type sprag like the ones in the GM 200, 350, 400 etc. The symptoms can be loss of a range like forward or reverse and bind ups like the shift from 1st to 2nd it will feel like hard braking. Sometimes the vehicle won't even roll with the engine off if it's bound up. The tooth style sprag will generally flip over and wont hold to a complete failure and loose pieces like the ones in the Ford A4LD 5R55E/W/S and the GM 4L60E/700.

Back