Dismiss Notice

Register Today It's free! This box will disappear once registered!

2005 Ford Ranger. Rear end help is needed.

Discussion in 'Ford Ranger - Mazda B-Series Forum' started by gauggin, July 2, 2011.

• Searches ExplorerForum.com
    1. gauggin

gauggin New Member

Help ...after replacing rear end parts...differential won't tighten back down..even with extreme force

2. Support EF

Join the Elite Explorers for $20

Explorer Forum has probably saved you that much already, and will continue to save you money as you learn how to diagnose fix problems yourself and learn which modifications work without having to experiment on your own. Elite Explorer members see practically no ads, can add their own profile photo, upload photo attachments in all forums, and Media Gallery, create more private Conversations, and more. Join Today. Your support is greatly appreciated.

to hide adverts.
    3. BrooklynBay

BrooklynBay Moderator & long time member. Staff Member Moderator Elite Explorer

City, State:
      Brooklyn, NY
      Year, Model & Trim Level:
      88 89 93 95 96 Aerostars
    4. mecman99

mecman99 New Member

City, State:
      Piscataway NJ
      Exactly what do you mean by won't tighten back down? what won't tighten back down?

5. tmwalsh

tmwalsh Member

City, State:
      suburban atlanta, ga
      Gear backlash adjustment? Bearing pre-load? Gears fitting into the case? Pinion shaft bearings or gears?
      What doesn't tighten down? What was taken apart?
      tom

6. gauggin

gauggin New Member

trouble getting the crush sleeve to tighten down even with 600 lb air impact wrench and a 250 lb torque wrench...would not crush...used the old one..but would like to know if there is any special trick im not using...thanks.

7. boominXplorer

boominXplorer Elite Ranger Elite Explorer

Media:
      Albums:
      City, State:
      Virginia Beach, Va
      00 4x4 Mounty
      I would go bigger impact and hold tight onto the flange. If thats not an option you can put a large screwdriver or extension though one of the bolt holes in the flange and use that to hold it still against the diff and use a breaker bar. As soon as it starts to crush it will do so quickly so be careful. I would say go for 1/2 turn with a breaker bar and then your impact might do it from there.

8. gauggin

gauggin New Member

Thank you...

9. mecman99

mecman99 New Member

City, State:
      Piscataway NJ
      Ok how do you know it wouldn't crush you could not get proper bearing preload or it had too much play front to back ? Did you check the new sleeve length just for fun. To me it sounds like maybe the bearings were seated against the races before it got to the crush collar. Did it ever get hard to rotate the pinion or did it feel "rough" as it was rotated? I have never had one that would not crush. I never had much luck getting them started crushing with an impact gun. All though my gun is only 250 - 300 lbs but the gun is great for tightening it just a hair more. Hard to do that with a breaker bar and socket. Hold the flange SOLID any way u can. Get a long breaker bar and tighten till no play, check it often, and slowly and carefully work it tighter till its in spec. no real tricks to it

10. Red FX4

Red FX4 Active Member

City, State:
      Costa Mesa, CA
      2002 Ranger FX4
      Did I read correctly that you used the old crush sleeve? That may be your problem. I always use a new crush sleeve when reassembling a differential.