2005 Limited, dead battery, locked doors? | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

2005 Limited, dead battery, locked doors?

Dpeter1946

Reaction score
City, State
Frankfort, Illinois
Year, Model & Trim Level
2005 Limited
I was out of town for a month and parked the Explorer outside.

Came home today and the remote door openers and keyless entry don't work. The ignition key fits the door lock on the driver's side, but doesn't turn and I don't want to force it.

How can I open the hood to charge/replace the battery?

Then I can start to figure out what drained the battery.

Try spraying some liquid graphite into the lock cylinder on the door, and gently keep turning and working the key.

If that doesn't work, or you feel like you're going to break the key, try a slimjim. I've never used one on one of these Explorers, though, so I don't know how easy the slimjim is. Your best bet is working free the lock cylinder in the door.

How about the other door or the lift gate? For that matter if you really had to, you could take jumper cables and put them on the starter cable positive and chassis ground to energize the vehicle to get the door open.

As far as the driver's door cylinder not turning, if it is VERY cold out, heat the key before putting it in, and spray some lock lube in or WD-40 if you have nothing else at the moment - but eventually you'll want to spray a proper lock lube in, WD-40 doesn't last long term as a lube.

Back