Dismiss Notice

Register Today It's free! This box and some ads will disappear once registered!

2005 Limited, dead battery, locked doors?

Discussion in 'Stock 2002 - 2005 Explorers' started by Dpeter1946, November 6, 2019.

^^Searches ExplorerForum.com^^

1. Dpeter1946

Dpeter1946 New Member

City, State:
    Frankfort, Illinois
    Year, Model & Trim Level:
    2005 Limited
    I was out of town for a month and parked the Explorer outside.

Came home today and the remote door openers and keyless entry don't work. The ignition key fits the door lock on the driver's side, but doesn't turn and I don't want to force it.

How can I open the hood to charge/replace the battery?

Then I can start to figure out what drained the battery.

2. Support EF

Elite Explorer 2 for 1 Sale! $20 for 2 years!

Explorer Forum has probably saved you that much already, and will continue to save you money as you learn how to diagnose fix problems yourself and learn which modifications work without having to experiment on your own. Elite Explorer members see practically no ads, can add their own profile photo, upload photo attachments in all forums, and Media Gallery, create more private Conversations, and more. Join Today. Your support is greatly appreciated.

3. ghettomedic

ghettomedic New Member

City, State:
    WI
    03 Explorer XLT
    Try spraying some liquid graphite into the lock cylinder on the door, and gently keep turning and working the key.

If that doesn't work, or you feel like you're going to break the key, try a slimjim. I've never used one on one of these Explorers, though, so I don't know how easy the slimjim is. Your best bet is working free the lock cylinder in the door.

4. J_C

J_C Well-Known Member

City, State:
    Florence, KY
    '98 XLT 4WD V6SOHC
    How about the other door or the lift gate? For that matter if you really had to, you could take jumper cables and put them on the starter cable positive and chassis ground to energize the vehicle to get the door open.

As far as the driver's door cylinder not turning, if it is VERY cold out, heat the key before putting it in, and spray some lock lube in or WD-40 if you have nothing else at the moment - but eventually you'll want to spray a proper lock lube in, WD-40 doesn't last long term as a lube.

• Useful Useful x 1