1. Tip...
    If you hold most smartphones sideways
    you can bring up a more full featured version of the forum.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice

Register Today It's free! This box will disappear once registered!

2005 LTD 4.6 buy or no buy

Discussion in 'Stock 2002 - 2005 Explorers' started by bluestream1, August 3, 2011.

^^Searches ExplorerForum.com^^

1. bluestream1

bluestream1 Active Member

City, State:
    Waterloo Ontario
    Year, Model & Trim Level:
    2000 XLT 4.0 SOHC 4X4
    Guys, Ive been a long time Gen1 and Gen2 owner, and looking to move to a 2005 Ltd with the 4.6 V8. I am sure this truck has some issues, but I would like to know them before I buy this time.

any comments you have are appreciated, or can you steer me to a good thread on the issue. (I have been searching archives, as I am sure this has come up 1000's of time before)

Cheers!

2. Support EF

Join the Elite Explorers for $20

Explorer Forum has probably saved you that much already, and will continue to save you money as you learn how to diagnose fix problems yourself and learn which modifications work without having to experiment on your own. Elite Explorer members see practically no ads, can add their own profile photo, upload photo attachments in all forums, and Media Gallery, create more private Conversations, and more. Join Today. Your support is greatly appreciated.

3. rocco123

rocco123 Active Member

City, State:
    Endicott, NY
    1994 XLT & 2002 Limited
    Broken rear coil springs, make sure 4x4 works (4x4 control modules often bad), cracked rear liftgate window panel, wheel bearings are sure to go bad often (that's top of the list actually), vacuum line on 4.6 into throttle body splits, rear end whine, Idle Air Control valves go bad, Window regulators. I've had all of these problems except the rear end whine.

4. not8taxi

not8taxi Active Member

City, State:
    queens, ny
    02 XLT
    if you like the truck i say buy...yea these trucks have problems but everything does...and you found an 05 limited 4.6? i wish i had the limited or even the 4.6...dont think it can get better than that for a 3rd gen...:thumbsup:

5. 94Eddie

94Eddie Active Member

City, State:
    Northern VA
    2002 Explorer XLT
    The big one issue, IMO, with third gens is the transmissions. Have it checked by a reputable shop and pull any codes from the computer. If it seems to shift funny at all then expect a transmission rebuild in the near future. The other items on my list have been mentioned like wheel bearings, gear whine etc. but I would add checking out the upper/lower ball joints.

6. Black Dynomite

Black Dynomite Active Member

City, State:
    Wellington, New Zealand
    2005 Ltd 4.6L
    05 being the last year of the gen certainly have less issues than previous years. I've had no issues with my 05 other than the cracked applique. I do only have ~60000m on the clock though. Hopefully a tech that services these vehicles can give you a better answer in regards to common issues FOR THAT YEAR, but I recommend to anyone who asks about my truck 'get an 05 4.6'.

7. jakedrew

jakedrew Active Member

City, State:
    wisconsin
    04 xlt
    you wont have to worry about the rear springs breaking.