Reaction score
City, State
Dallas, TX
Year, Model & Trim Level
2005 XLT
E4ji2xFl.jpg

gIPtehsl.jpg

ZCQZ7LUl.jpg

Hello everyone! Thanks in advance for the help and suggestions. I have a 2005 Explorer XLT with just at 100,000 miles on it. I have owned the truck for 7 years now and it has been a great vehicle. I have the 4.0 SOHC V6 and 2WD platform and I am always impressed with where this conglomerate of steel and rubber can go. If it's dry, I can usually get through or up whatever I need. This thing has been to the top of several mountains and has towed thousands of pounds of wood and materials up trails that were daunting even without a trailer. I'm always impressed. Anyways, the truck is paid off and I've slowly (with the help of this forum) begun modifying my Exploder to make it something unique and more capable.

As of lately, my 5r55 has been acting up. Pretty normal stuff from searching through this forum. I'm right at the 100,000 mile mark when these things apparently start to fall apart. The larger 31'' BFG's, extensive trail time and heavy towing are sure to have fueled the fire. Oh well. My latest project for the Exploder is doing a 5-speed transmission swap with the M5OD. Before anyone says, "just repair the 5r55 or swapping in another auto is easier.." just hold the phone because that is not the direction I want to go. The 5speed swap will be more time consuming and expensive and I understand that. I also believe that the results will justify the work and the price tag.

I have researched this topic EXTENSIVELY. Scouring the internet for days has given me a tiny bit of information on what is needed. Unfortunately, nobody has done an in depth thread on how exactly this is done. The most I can really find is a "parts list" from a previous EXPforum member and a few odds and ends from guys over at the RangerStation.com.

From what I can put together, for my 4.0SOHC V6, the M5OD-R1HD or M5OD-R4 (not sure of the difference) from a 2002 Explorer or later year Ranger will bolt right up to my engine. From my searches I have found that I will need:

M5OD-R1HD or R4 Transmission
Slave cylinder
Master cylinder
Clutch and brake pedal assembly
Clutch
Flywheel
Hydraulic lines
Tuner (SCT XCAL)
Shifter/Knob/Boot
A fancy hole in my floor

I have found a 2002 Expl with the 5speed over at a junk yard close to my house. I haven't been by to check the condition of the vehicle yet so I'm not sure if the drive train is in any condition to be pulled. This post is to get some ideas and options from those who are more experienced in this area than I am.

So - If I do go and pull this transmission from the junker, I will pull everything from my list if it's still attached. Tranny, master, slave cylinders, pedal assembly, clutch, flywheel, shifter, knob, boot. Every post I have read on this project suggests replacing the cylinders, clutch and flywheels with brand new stuff. Understandable. I don't want to be tearing this thing apart in a year because of leaks or worn parts.

I have also found a business called smartpartsauto.com that sells built transmissions for Ranger/Explorers/F150s etc. They do sell the two variants of the M5OD that I could possibly use.

Here is a link to the M5OD-R1:
http://www.smartpartsauto.com/manual_transmission_m5r1_mazda.html

Here is a link to the M5OD-R4:
http://www.smartpartsauto.com/manual_transmission_m5r4.html

I would rather fork over the green bills and buy a brand new transmission. For the time and effort this will take me, doing it right and having piece of mind for the next 100,000+ miles plus the durability to withstand any future power upgrades would be ideal.

So, explorerfourm, with all of your infinite knowledge, can you give me your .02 cents on this swap? What would you do? Which one of the M5OD variants will bolt up? What parts would you pull and which would you order new? Am I forgetting any parts?

I plan on starting this swap in July and would love to get all my parts ordered/pulled and have everything ready to go. (I'm sure there will be some odds and ends that I will find I missed and that will be ordered from under the truck but I'd like to have the major stuff ready).

I really appreciate any feedback and I will most definitely make an in-depth build thread on this project from start to finish to help others out there like me that are interested in the 5-speed conversion.

Thanks a ton,
Zach

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

There was a design experiment on the 2002 explorer clutch. Check the input shaft of the one you get for 23 or 26 spline to see if the truck had a dual-mass flywheel...I forget which spline count went with the funky setup.
To be safe, you might just get a trans from an 03+ ranger.

As for the hole, it may be as simple as removing a block-off plate. I've seen a couple automatics in the boneyard with the consoles gone and there's a plate there.

You'll lose the second row vents if you have them. the ductwork goes right through where the shifter would be.

Also, if you're going to this effort, I'd recommend trying a 6-speed. I've got an 02 with the factory manual setup, and it could very easily handle a 6th gear at highway speeds on flat terrain such as TX (I'm in IN), and especially since my highway speeds are probably lower than yours.

Wo WoW I like how this sounds

I know this is an old thread... but if you're still thinking of doing this... it can be done.

Your biggest problem will be your electronic throttle and tuning that. And thank the Lord Almighty you don't have a 4x4.

Check my thread here for a progress thread on how I pulled it off on an 06. Basically the same as yours...

4th Gen Auto 5R55 to Manual M5OD - progress (not a How-to)

I know this is an old thread... but if you're still thinking of doing this... it can be done.

Your biggest problem will be your electronic throttle and tuning that. And thank the Lord Almighty you don't have a 4x4.

Check my thread here for a progress thread on how I pulled it off on an 06. Basically the same as yours...

4th Gen Auto 5R55 to Manual M5OD - progress (not a How-to)
@engineeering
Curious as to the success (or failure), or troubles you may have encountered. Did you (do you) live with a constant CEL? All those missing shaft speed inputs......wondering what rear gears were used with 2WD? Did you keep them? Instrument panel: speedo/odo?

Asking because my 5R55S is going away gradually, at 165k, and a stick would be tempting! imp

Had to do a pretty serious tune. Couldn't get anyone to do it so I purchased SCT advantage III software

After several updates from SCT (from my input), I was able to turn off all dash lights and finally get it right. Took me almost 18 months to finally solve a hard speed limiter at about 120kms/hr (75mph) as it was an issue with error calculation in a shaft sensor

All in all... Even had do solder resistors in to trick the pcm that it was in P or N just to start it.... Don't get me started on the tcase....

Really not worth the effort to be honest. Check my thread link for more details.

It was a fun project and taught me I can do pretty much solve whatever I sink time into... I love the truck with the manual too.

Turns out... I'm actually putting it up for sale. As the truck ended up being an R&D truck for Moddbox... I got it listed on Moddbox.com right now.

Had to do a pretty serious tune. Couldn't get anyone to do it so I purchased SCT advantage III software

After several updates from SCT (from my input), I was able to turn off all dash lights and finally get it right. Took me almost 18 months to finally solve a hard speed limiter at about 120kms/hr (75mph) as it was an issue with error calculation in a shaft sensor

All in all... Even had do solder resistors in to trick the pcm that it was in P or N just to start it.... Don't get me started on the tcase....

Really not worth the effort to be honest. Check my thread link for more details.

It was a fun project and taught me I can do pretty much solve whatever I sink time into... I love the truck with the manual too.

Turns out... I'm actually putting it up for sale. As the truck ended up being an R&D truck for Moddbox... I got it listed on Moddbox.com right now.
@engineeering

Jesus! I don't believe it! Someone who has delved into the unknown as I did many moons ago, but dealing with issues logically solvable, not someone else's programming wet dreams. I gotta hand it to you.........I envy your abilities......(if you did it yourself), if you paid to get it done, I hate you! Are you an Engineer, might I ask? None of my business, your personal position, but I cannot help but envy what you achieved! imp

I'm an engineer by trade but self taught when it comes to cars.

I actually started moddbox with a partner back in 2012 for fun... still doing it part time. It's really a hobby company that gives me a bit of a licence to tinker and spend time onoit without getting in trouble from the better half/ lol.

As for tuning... I am also self taught there. I know Don Lasota of Lasota Racing and he helped me with the supercharger part of the tune. Ultimately since ithe manual swap and electronic throttle is such an oddball custom project... I solved most of it by complete trial and error. Needless to say... I know my way around SCT tuning now as I managed to squeeze about 330hp out of that old 4.0 :). Throttle is a bit jumpy still as the electronic dashpot can only be tweeked so much.

It's been a really fun truck. Gonna miss it. But I have a new project in the works :)

Back