2006 axle question | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

2006 axle question

thatmom

Reaction score
Year, Model & Trim Level
2006 Explorer
My 2006 Ford Explorer has had lights on since the end of July. I brought it in to be fixed but was told it was a faulty sensor. The computer would not turn the lights off. 3 weeks ago it was brought to the dealer and was told it was the wheel baring. Lights still on! It was brought back again today and told the rear axle was broken. What could have broken the axle? We do not tow anything with it... any other ideas?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

What lights are you referring to that is on?

The ABS, the wrench and the the car with the lines I believe it is the traction light. They do not always stay on but come on and off

Those three together are typically the wheel speed sensors not correctly sending a signal. When the codes are pulled the technicians should know exactly what hub/side is the problem. It can be as simple as the ABS tone rings not seated correctly on the hub anymore, the sending unit is defective/unplugged, or the hub bearings are so worn out that the sending unit and ring don't line up correctly anymore. I have never heard of a broken axle causing the RSC system to have a fault unless for some reason the differential gears are stripped and the two tires on the same axle are spinning at different rates and that will cause the RSC to kick in, but again I have never actually seen/heard of that happening. If the differential is broken you would hear grinding/groaning coming from the axle that is broken and there would be a lot of metal in the differential fluid plus you would have a really bad vibration.

For the ABS light, have them pull the code with an ABS code reader and give you the code. most of the time, it is a faulty sensor. In which case I recommend trying to clean the magnetic pick up of the sensor and the electrical connector before replacing the hub/bearing/abs wiring assembly. Most of the time you are better off replacing the bearing with the ABS wiring harness, instead of just the wiring harness itself. Now what exactly about the rear axle is broken? Is the faulty sensor on one of the back wheel hubs? You need to go back to the dealer and get some clarification before you start shelling out money to them. Sounds like there trying to pull on over on you.

Back