• Register Today It's free!

2006 EB Possible Purchase

khodgens

Reaction score
City, State
Pagosa Springs, Colorado
Year, Model & Trim Level
2004 Explorer Eddie Bauer
Been a member for 6 years but haven't had an explorer since then. I've only owned F150's and expeditions since then. I'm looking at a very nice 2006 Eddie Bauer, V8 and 208K on the clock. It's been well maintained but I don't know what to look for in these models and engine. Any advice will be greatly appreciated. TIA

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

If the price was right, and it passed my inspection of key concern areas, I wouldn’t hesitate to jump on it

Most important thing I would check on this is if the spark plugs have been changed recently, and no Heli coil‘s in the heads from a previous SNAFU.

Radiators are prone to breakage, my 2006 is on its third radiator and it is leaking currently. My transmission is still hanging In there, but showing signs of sloppiness. Wheel bearings are another popular wear item on these. Friends are easy to do and I driveway, the rears require a bit of disassembly and a heavy duty bench press.

From my experience with my own 06 EB V8....bad coils will make you think the trans is slipping.

Easy fix though. I changed the plugs in mine with no issues, hell, one side they weren't even what I'd call tight.

The V8 is preferable to the 4.0, I've got a '97 with the "upgraded" V6....it sits, wanting a new rear timing chain. I was going to V8 swap, but child #4 said he wanted me to buy a third row SUV, so here we are. I love mine....except for the mileage. Power is awesome though. :)

It's a good pick with the V8. But - at 208K I hope you don't expect it to last much longer. I would only do it if the timing components have been replaced and the transmission has had regular service.

200k, 300k, 400k - what's the difference ? :)

Just the numbers like age LOL

At this point 200k is considered a low mileage in my book.

200k, 300k, 400k - what's the difference ? :)

Just the numbers like age LOL

At this point 200k is considered a low mileage in my book.

How is your body holding up? Any rust?

The only rust started at the passenger side rear rocker. I patched it up with construction spray foam first, then auto body filler, primed it and painted. Looks good to me now.
Surprisingly, since the car has never been garaged and I live in "salt" belt, overall the frame and body are in pretty good shape. I replaced the exhaust since the muffler rusted on the welds while the pipes were still good.

The only rust started at the passenger side rear rocker. I patched it up with construction spray foam first, then auto body filler, primed it and painted. Looks good to me now.
Surprisingly, since the car has never been garaged and I live in "salt" belt, overall the frame and body are in pretty good shape. I replaced the exhaust since the muffler rusted on the welds while the pipes were still good.

Thanks - I saw your location and mileage and that's why I asked. I think that says a lot about the quality of paint job and undercoating on these vehicles.

Much better than GM vehicles of the same era!

I like GM trucks a lot as well but it's true that GM comes short on rust proofing. 2 cars before the Explorer I had a 99 Tahoe, and there was no single spot on the frame with the original paint, all was rust.

PL, I’m only a few miles down 17 south from you, and so far no rust on my 2006. Never been garaged, rarely gets washed, so I am fairly impressed. Ironically my 2002 Nissan Xterra is also rust free and has also live its whole life outdoors in North Jersey

Back