2006 Eddie Bauer Sunroof Leak | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

2006 Eddie Bauer Sunroof Leak

FloridaRob

Reaction score
Year, Model & Trim Level
2006 Ford Explorer EB
So strong storms last night, backed out of the driveway and nice....there it is....water leaking from the map light switch in front of the sunroof....when I got this one a few months ago, 40K original miles, I educated myself on all of the gotcha's....maintenance of the engine to make it last etc.....and I saw the sunroof issues and I know there are a few items....this explorer had the same issue 4 years ago and was "supposedly fixed" by a ford dealer up North, but no description as to what they did....they just said "leak fixed"...nice....so where do I start? the Drains?....how would you go about tackling this step by step...I am somewhat mechanically inclined, but also know my limits....can I just run some monofilament fishing leader down the drains to see if they are clogged? ...and what would be your next steps if the leak persists?...Thank you in advance, this is a great place for information on these trucks.

Mine did that, the drains were fine, it turned out to be the rubber seal around the glass panel - just got old. Replaced the seal and no more leaks. :)

My explorer had this problem for a while. I checked the seals, everything looked good, i even ran a long coat hanger down the drain holes to try to unclog them. I had the windshield fixed on one of my other cars and had the guy take a look at it. He said that it is super common for the drain hoses to come off the nipples on the sunroof channel, causing water to leak into the cabin. There is a simple way to test this. open the front door and then poor a big glass of water down the drain hole on the same side you have the door open. if it is working then the water will come out a rubber fitting on the front side of the door jam. Then test on the other side. The water should come flowing out at a good rate. if not, the fix is simple. remove the two screws that hold on the sun visor. at this point the whole front headliner and light fixture should come unsnapped and should pop down. The two drain tubes are located at the sides of the sunroof. I slid two small hose clamps on each hose, reconnected the hoses, and tightened the hose clamps. This fixed the problem. Took maybe 15 min.

Search for TSB 07-20-6
Models built before 3/27/2007 may have a leak similar to yours. The rear drain hoses (2of) do not have the required proper downward slope.

And there are actually 4 drain hoses

Back