2006 Explorer 6 speed transmission shifting issue - update | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

2006 Explorer 6 speed transmission shifting issue - update

bojans

Reaction score
City, State
McHenry, Il
Year, Model & Trim Level
2006 Explorer Limited
I am one of many who had the very hard shift to 1st gear. Had the PCM reprogrammed and then the mechtronics assembly replaced. Well it is shifting like crap again and the dealer told me Ford has stopped paying them to replace the mechtronics assembly. The dealer told me to call ford and register my issue with them and that they are working on a new fix for this. He said most of the vehicles they installed new mechtronics units in have come back with in 3 month with the same issue...

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Thanks for the update....keep us posted. I'm in the same boat as you but in the middle of moving and won't be able to find a new dealer and take it in until mid-Jan. Maybe I'll luck out and they'll have a new transmission design ready to go by then....ha ha.

Ford just called me, new TSB issued this week to update the trans program. TSB 07-23-2
Having it done next week, we shall see...

Ford just called me, new TSB issued this week to update the trans program. TSB 07-23-2
Having it done next week, we shall see...

who is past the 36k mile mark other than me?

I have had the pieces replaced and assume that will be covered and will not have to use the Ford ext. warranty... should be part of the original warranty since that work was performed then...

Let us know if the new TSB helps....

I just tripped 17k on mine and the shifting issue is getting worse. When I take it in for the next oil change, I'm going to bring up TSB 07-23-2 and see if I can get them to fix my shifting issue.

TSB
07-23-2 6R60 TRANSMISSION EQUIPPED VEHICLES ONLY - BUMP WHILE BRAKING - BELOW 10 MPH (16 KM/H), DELAYED ENGAGEMENT, HESITATION ON TIP-IN AFTER BRAKING

Publication Date: November 6, 2007

FORD: 2006-2008 Explorer
2007-2008 Explorer Sport Trac
MERCURY: 2006-2008 Mountaineer

This article supersedes TSB 07-13-8 to update the Service Procedure.

ISSUE:
Some 2006-2008 Explorer 4dr, Mountaineer and 2007-2008 Explorer Sport Trac vehicles equipped with 6R60 transmission may exhibit a bump feeling while braking to a stop less than 10 MPH (16 Km/h). Some vehicles built prior to 05/4/2006 may exhibit the following symptoms:

Delayed engagements into Drive from Park Neutral or Reverse.
Hesitation upon tip-in after braking to a stop.
This fixes the bump while braking to a stop, improves the delayed engagements and reduces the incidence of tip-in hesitation while accelerating from a stop.

ACTION:
Follow the Service Procedure steps to reprogram the transmission control module (TCM) and the powertrain control module (PCM). Some tip-in hesitation is normal on this transmission in order to provide smooth operation. This calibration update will help to improve the condition. The harsh bump while braking to a stop will be eliminated. Several days of driving may be required for the transmission to fully adapt.

SERVICE PROCEDURE

NOTE: DO NOT ATTEMPT TO REPLACE THE MECHATRONIC UNIT. MECHATRONIC REPAIR/REPLACEMENT IS NOT AUTHORIZED FOR THIS ISSUE.

Install IDS/PDS or equivalent and ID the vehicle.
Update the PCM and TCM calibration using IDS release 51.8 and higher or 52.1 and higher. Calibration files may also be obtained at www.motorcraft.com. Since the TCM cannot be independently reprogrammed, reprogram the PCM to ensure that engine and transmission calibrations are updated to the latest level simultaneously.
Clear TCM keep alive memory (KAM) and adaptive tables.
Using IDS:
Open Toolbox.
Choose Powertrain.
Choose Reset KAM.
Then Choose TCM.
Using PDS:
Choose all Tests and Calibrations.
Scroll down the menu and Choose Reset TCM KAM.
NOTE: FOR PDS, RESET TCM KAM IS NOT THE SAME AS CLEAR TRANSMISSION ADAPTIVE TABLES, WHICH IS UNDER THE POWERTRAIN - TRANSMISSION MENU TREE.

NOTE: UNHOOKING THE BATTERY WILL NOT CLEAR THE TCM KAM.

NOTE: DO NOT CLEAR THE PCM KAM.

Verify that the transmission fluid temperature (TFT) PID is above 175° F (80° C). If it is not at 175° F (80° C), drive unit approximately 3 miles (5 Km) to reach temperature.
NOTE: TFT MUST BE AT 175° F (80° C) OR ABOVE BEFORE PROCEEDING TO STEP 5.

Drive unit to perform adaptive shift strategy learn.
Accelerate from rest with light throttle. The 1-2, 2-3, and 3-4 shifts must occur at engine speeds between 1300-1800 RPM.
Continue to accelerate gently to 50 MPH (80 Km/h) so that the transmission shifts into 6th gear.
Brake gently to a complete stop and hold foot on brake for at least 15 seconds.
Repeat Steps (a-c) a total of five (5) times.

WARRANTY STATUS:
Eligible Under Provisions Of New Vehicle Limited Warranty Coverage
IMPORTANT: Warranty coverage limits/policies are not altered by a TSB. Warranty coverage limits are determined by the identified causal part.

OPERATION DESCRIPTION TIME
072302A 2006-2008 Explorer, Mountaineer 2007-2008 Explorer Sport Trac 4.6L 6R60 Transmission: Check DTCs, Reprogram The PCM And TCM, Includes Time To Clear KAM And Perform Road Tests (Do Not Use With 12650D) 0.9 Hr.

DEALER CODING
BASIC PART NO. CONDITION CODE
recal 04

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

NOTE: The information in Technical Service Bulletins is intended for use by trained, professional technicians with the knowledge, tools, and equipment to do the job properly and safely. It informs these technicians of conditions that may occur on some vehicles, or provides information that could assist in proper vehicle service. The procedures should not be performed by "do-it-yourselfers". Do not assume that a condition described affects your car or truck. Contact a Ford, Lincoln, or Mercury dealership to determine whether the Bulletin applies to your vehicle. Warranty Policy and Extended Service Plan documentation determine Warranty and/or Extended Service Plan coverage unless stated otherwise in the TSB article. The information in this Technical Service Bulletin (TSB) was current at the time of printing. Ford Motor Company reserves the right to supercede this information with updates. The most recent information is available through Ford Motor Company's on-line technical resources.

Copyright © 2007 Ford Motor Company

Just had the TSB done today, in the 10 miles from the dealer to work the issue was fixed but time will tell. I am pushing on Ford corporate VERY hard to give me an extended powertrain warrenty based on their numerous failed attempts at fixing this issue. I am at 33,000 right now...

Just had the TSB done today, in the 10 miles from the dealer to work the issue was fixed but time will tell. I am pushing on Ford corporate VERY hard to give me an extended powertrain warrenty based on their numerous failed attempts at fixing this issue. I am at 33,000 right now...

I am past 37k+ and "out of warranty" but they WILL BE (i will make them due to history) do this one at no charge as I will not pay any deductable from my extended Ford warranty.... I am starting to notice the bump coming back...

That's right!

I am past 37k+ and "out of warranty" but they WILL BE (i will make them due to history) do this one at no charge as I will not pay any deductable from my extended Ford warranty.... I am starting to notice the bump coming back...

Now THAT is the language they need to hear! Go for it :salute:
(Remember, eye contact, direct eye contact, calm voice) Sorry to hear the problem is back, but dig they way you handle it! :D

Now THAT is the language they need to hear! Go for it :salute:
(Remember, eye contact, direct eye contact, calm voice) Sorry to hear the problem is back, but dig they way you handle it! :D

Thanks! :D

Going to make an appointment for our '07 Monday. Thanks for the heads up!

400 miles since the PCM update and I have never felt this trans shift better. The "bump" is gone, the down shifting is greatly improved and the trans reponse to throttle inputs is much faster. Lets hope it stays this way.

Mine has the "bump", started about 3 weeks ago at 14000 miles. I'm going to have it in there in a few weeks for oil change and the TSB.

I take it that there aren't any short term consequences of driving it the way it is now? Very annoying in traffic and really makes you cringe thinking of possible damage.

400 miles since the PCM update and I have never felt this trans shift better. The "bump" is gone, the down shifting is greatly improved and the trans reponse to throttle inputs is much faster. Lets hope it stays this way.

I also finally had this TSB performed and have been good for 200+ miles. I'm up to 17k on the clock now and have been waiting a long time before I even bothered to take the truck into the dealer. After reading the shotgun approach to fixing the problem that I've seen from reading others stories here I was a little reluctant on wasting my time and giving up my truck for multiple days.

Which Dealer performed your update?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I had Buss Ford do the update. It doesn't matter who the dealer is, just give them the TSB number and tell them you need it done.

Back