2006 Explorer 6 speed transmission shifting issue - update | Page 16 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

2006 Explorer 6 speed transmission shifting issue - update

Thanks Emjay for reporting on cost of fix.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I just got the update done. It didn't really seem to help much. The thing that sucks is that there's no way to tell if the dealer actually did it properly. Oh well..

I hate to jynx it, but the wife and I noticed that my 06 hasn't done the bump in a couple weeks now. When I had it in the shop for the parking board replacement (never got stuck in park before, now does...), I had them flush and fill the tranny and brake fluid. It still did the hard shift to first after that, but maybe the valve body was happier with the new fluid instead of waiting till the factory suggested 100k mile mark.

I've had one person say they thought it would be the valve body and then a guy who rode with me thought it was the tranny solenoid...but it feels like what the TSB describes.

Has anyone else had a flush & fill of the transmission fluid? I would hate to think this was another case of the snapped off spark plugs which are also due at 100k mileage for initial replacement.

Has anyone else had a flush & fill of the transmission fluid? I would hate to think this was another case of the snapped off spark plugs which are also due at 100k mileage for initial replacement.

I had the pan drop & filter changed at 30k miles as per the owners manual service interval. This dealer does not do a flush, pan drop only.

Just so you know, a flush SHOULD NOT be done to the 6R trans. There is a one-way valve that only allows fluid flow to the cooler once the fluid reaches normal operating temp. (min of 175 F). This info is mentioned through out the shop manual.

I had the pan drop & filter changed at 30k miles as per the owners manual service interval. This dealer does not do a flush, pan drop only.

Just so you know, a flush SHOULD NOT be done to the 6R trans. There is a one-way valve that only allows fluid flow to the cooler once the fluid reaches normal operating temp. (min of 175 F). This info is mentioned through out the shop manual.

I'm not the dealer, so I just assumed it was a flush and fill. From your description, it was probably just a fluid change, how ever they should go about doing it I am sure they did. I do have an ESP which covers me through 96k miles so if they did it wrong, they'll be giving me a new transmission.

I also have the ESP and thats exactly why I had them do the first change. I questioned them first as to their method and approx cost. One service writer didn't appreciate my questions, so I talked with another before the work was done. Told them that I wasn't paying for a new gasket as the original is re-usable. I even marked the pan bolts before hand.

Job was done with no issues. Still have approx 11 months warranty.

I also have the ESP and thats exactly why I had them do the first change. I questioned them first as to their method and approx cost. One service writer didn't appreciate my questions, so I talked with another before the work was done. Told them that I wasn't paying for a new gasket as the original is re-usable. I even marked the pan bolts before hand.

Job was done with no issues. Still have approx 11 months warranty.

Do you have the 1st gear bump? If so, how significant? I read a few pages back that you mentioned a slight 2-1 hesitation, but no slam.

So maybe the fluid change also plays a role in this and not just the TSB...?

TSB was done prior to my purchase back in 08. Since I've had it there is an occasional slight bump in the 2-1 shift while stopping and occasionally a slight delay on acceleration from stop or while stopping/slowing down. I can/will live with this.

I DID NOT notice any change of any kind after a fluid/filter change.

Best up-shifting auto trans at part/full throttle I have owned, other than those with a shift kit.

i just bought a 2007 limited with 34000 miles and it has the bump issue. will ford still do the work (tsp).

Let me recommend a regular gearbox flush (every 30k or so) it made the world of difference to mine and if your lucky they might do the TSB as part of the flush.

Let me recommend a regular gearbox flush (every 30k or so) it made the world of difference to mine and if your lucky they might do the TSB as part of the flush.

Same here. A fluid flush was done maybe 5k miles ago and my bump is completely gone. I did not have them do the TSB. Now at ~65k miles.

How much is it for a flush? There's so many suggestions I'm starting to go crazy. Throttle Position Sensor, Flash, Flush, Throttle Body, and Transmission Solenoid are all things I've heard. I've got the flash done which did nothing. I don't know what to do next.

I think the transmission fluid change was around $200 but I could be wrong. Had them put some synthetic stuff in so it wasn't the cheapest possible price.

That's too bad. I can't chance that much money on this stupid problem.

The other option is to get rid of it as others continue to claim they will and Ford won't even see this to care.

The problem isn't bad enough to get rid of it, as I love the car even with its cheap interior, but I would like to fix it eventually. We'll see.

It makes me mad that Ford did so little about it, though. I wish I still had the warranty.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

the v8 use sp fluid should be good for the life of the truck.... and i think its still around 15 or so a quart.

less the unit needs to be opened for repair. theres no need to change the fluid.

Back