2006 Explorer 6 speed transmission shifting issue - update | Page 17 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

2006 Explorer 6 speed transmission shifting issue - update

the v8 use sp fluid should be good for the life of the truck.... and i think its still around 15 or so a quart.

less the unit needs to be opened for repair. theres no need to change the fluid.

I doubt my dealer threw in a TSB flash for fun, so what explains the shifting issue going away after a solid 13k miles of bumping to slowly going away after the service?

Oh, I had the shift board recall replaced and my brake fluid flushed as well.. maybe it was one of those?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

ok I did the tsb today and yes it works like a charm. It cost me 86.00 dollars becasue the warranty was over, but well worth it now, No more hesitation from the trannie and no bumps like you are getting rear ended. Lets see how long it will last. :)

ok I did the tsb today and yes it works like a charm. It cost me 86.00 dollars becasue the warranty was over, but well worth it now, No more hesitation from the trannie and no bumps like you are getting rear ended. Lets see how long it will last. :)

Good report, keep us posted please.

I plan on having it done this month

The thing about the flash is you have no way to tell if it was done correctly, but you can assume that for those who it worked for that it was done correctly.

Thanks for the initial feedback.

Definitely give some feedback in the upcoming months. As these modern systems are learning systems, the issue could redevelop itself over time.

I doubt my dealer threw in a TSB flash for fun, so what explains the shifting issue going away after a solid 13k miles of bumping to slowly going away after the service?

Oh, I had the shift board recall replaced and my brake fluid flushed as well.. maybe it was one of those?

my best guess, is this, they drove it in, it was fine, they did a flush and it did the bump on there roadtest so they could of reflashed it.

or

they didnt want to get dirty, they drove the vehicle, knew what it is, and re flashed it, just charge everything to the ro so its proper. its a sealed unit, with 60k on them the fluid looks new, so you would never know if they or didnt do it.

my best guess, is this, they drove it in, it was fine, they did a flush and it did the bump on there roadtest so they could of reflashed it.

or

they didnt want to get dirty, they drove the vehicle, knew what it is, and re flashed it, just charge everything to the ro so its proper. its a sealed unit, with 60k on them the fluid looks new, so you would never know if they or didnt do it.

Now it's time to qualify your guesses with something more than internet research and pessimism.

(Now that the guessing game has gone on...)

More on topic, how about some actual owners with real feedback after having the TSIB done. Does the (bump) problem come back later?

(Now that the guessing game has gone on...)

More on topic, how about some actual owners with real feedback after having the TSIB done. Does the (bump) problem come back later?

havent seen any that the bump came back after the tsb.

so if it was still under warranty it would be free? The dealers I've called have said I would have to pay for it whether it was under warranty or not. strange

Had the flash done and it worked great. No more bump or hard shift. Been 6 months now.

so if it was still under warranty it would be free? The dealers I've called have said I would have to pay for it whether it was under warranty or not. strange

If you are still covered by the bumper to bumper warranty, then there should not be any charge for this update. An extended warranty may or may not cover the charge for the TSB update, less the deductible.

$149 done yesterday, out of warranty. I just picked up Explorer today, so I will see how it runs over a period of time...

$149 done yesterday, out of warranty. I just picked up Explorer today, so I will see how it runs over a period of time...

And now 1 months later, about 1500 miles since reflash, smooth, no bump.

Hi Folks,

Newbie here just wondering how those of you who had the 6r60/v8 tsb done for the 2-1 'bump' are making out.

Recently purchased a used 2006 EB with 6r60 and so far, mostly good but I feel a bit of hesitation on occasion while pulling onto highway. Only when I am accelerating slowly, though.

Feedback is appreciated!

Cheers.

Hi Folks,

Newbie here just wondering how those of you who had the 6r60/v8 tsb done for the 2-1 'bump' are making out.

Recently purchased a used 2006 EB with 6r60 and so far, mostly good but I feel a bit of hesitation on occasion while pulling onto highway. Only when I am accelerating slowly, though.

Feedback is appreciated!

Cheers.

It never worked for me sadly, but I think I might have a mechanical problem even though it's been this way for at least 2 years and it hasn't gotten any worse.

Hi Folks,

Feedback is appreciated!

Cheers.

JD: See my posts on Page 10 (#s 190, 195, and 198). I had it done 4 times in 14 months (roughly), by a total of 3 different dealers.

Although my wife and I loved our decked out Mountaineer, I was a week from deploying with the military for a year when the problem came back [again]--and just a few weeks after the TSB had been done [again]. The biggest issue was that the warranty had run out and even though it was within 12mo/12K of the last TSB "fix", Ford now wanted to charge me to do the TSB. I didn't want my wife to have to deal with it while I was gone and the vehicle was still worth more than what I owed, so I sold it to CarMax and bought a new Honda Pilot.

Maybe not the best move financially, but we've had no problems with the Pilot over nearly 26K miles. I do regret getting rid of the car because it had a lot of great features. What I don't miss is paying $90 every few months to have the TSB done again and again for a problem that Ford is well aware of and refuses to permanently fix by replacing our Transmission Primary Control Modules (PCM's). That's what a service manager said really needed to happen, but he wasn't authorized to change it out under warranty. And after the way I was treated by Ford Customer Service, it will be a long time before I set foot in a Ford showroom---and I was a lifetime FoMoCo guy before this happened.

Best of luck. We had a very early MY2006 vehicle, so maybe you'll have better success.

Over 3 months and over 5000 miles have gone by since my reflash, tranny is still smooth, no bump, done.

Just got my Ex back from the dealership for this, it's smooth as silk now. I have 48,000 on the clock. It was covered under warranty, no charge.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Had the TSB done over a year ago (~10kmi) and it has never come back.

Back