2006 Explorer | Page 13 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

2006 Explorer

sorry Sheehy Ford , is the correct spelling of the dealer, *just a correction

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

The family plan goes on until Oct 3 or 6. Only 06 included here is the expedition.

and they could give those things away and still no one would take them,, I've seen our dealer collect 3 new excursions inthe past two weeks. And if you take a look on the window sticker it says ( this vehicle does not need to meet EPA milage requirements. Wonder if they just reprinted those when the gas shot up to 4 dollars a gallon?

all vehicles above a certain weight, its either 8,000 or 10,000 lbs., i dont recall which, are excluded from disclosing their mpg's like that.

I have not been here for a while...I had to catch up on all the reading.

Anyway, I have th '05 Limited Explorer and I freakin love it...it rides so smooth and handles great...I could use a little more engine power...but it is workable. I would like to see the interior upgraded (like they have on the '06)..however I am hoping I can but a replacement speedometer reader later.

I like the boxy big boy effect it has...I am 6'3 so I need a big car. I like the interior of the 06' but I am not a fan of the exterior...

All in all I think the '05 is great...I am going to make a few modifications on it...only because this is the first car I have owned...I cannot wiat!

Just my.02

WE'LL,,,,,the 06's have been out for about a month or so,,, here at least. What's the general opinion? The grills arent as atroushis (sp) as i thought, but still I personally do like the over all looks of the new explorers. They still use alot of the plastic body mold trim, not very big on that. So my personal opinion is that I do like the new look and interior is much better then previous models. Seems like you can get a XLT for around 29k or so, and the beloved Eddie B, for around 34k, Ford family plan anyone!!lol

I test drove a 06 limited v8 today and impression is "not bad".

Its quiet inside and the ride was so nice. I intentionally went for all the pot holes and it handle them outstandingly.

The 8 did not give the rush i was expecting put on the other hand I was not watching the speedo. :thumbsup:

The dash seems a little empty also with absence of the volt and oil pressure guage.

Wish it was night to get a better feel. I also forgot to ask about the customizable colors for the display.

Garth said:
I test drove a 06 timited v8 today and impression is "not bad".

Its quiet inside and the ride was so nice. I intentionally went for all the pot holes and it handle them outstandingly.

The 8 did not give the rush i was expecting put on the other hand I was not watching the speedo. :thumbsup:

I'm half tempted to test drive one. I really like the look of them. But I think the grille needs to be color matched. Its pretty much the only chrome on the truck and it sticks out way to much.

IAmTodd said:
I'm half tempted to test drive one. I really like the look of them. But I think the grille needs to be color matched. Its pretty much the only chrome on the truck and it sticks out way to much.

I am thinking the same thing but on the limited the chrome can be on the roof rack, the mirrors, the steps, plus the wheels, also the new bigger emblems, including the oval in the back.

The transmission on the 06 was flawless. I could not even feel the gear changes.

0-60mph 7.8sec, 1/4 miles 16.2 @ 86mph ,top speed 98mph (governed). :(

Garth said:
top speed 98mph (governed). :(
GOOD :thumbsup:
thats all we need on the highway are kids in their parent's explorers flyin at 100+.
IIRC, 98 in a 70 is jail time.

I like the good 'ole days when your brain and right foot was all the governor that was needed.

n3m3s1s said:
GOOD :thumbsup:
thats all we need on the highway are kids in their parent's explorers flyin at 100+.
IIRC, 98 in a 70 is jail time.

And have you ever tested the top speed of the Explorer you drive.

They might as well take back the RSC and the other safety jung they put inside(full lenght airbags) cause is not needed.

The editor recommends a odessey minivan instead of the explorer, its faster lighter, cheaper, handles better and uses less gas.

Garth said:
And have you ever tested the top speed of the Explorer you drive.
i did, when i first got it with 60K miles, on the initial trip from california to texas.
it was in the middle of the desert and with my mother riding shotgun.
i was trying to keep pace with a land rover and a tahoe.
that was the only time since i've added larger tires and many miles, and havent seen too many desert highways.

and no, i'm not being hypocritical, my previous post was about people known to drive irrespossibly. :p my point was that MOST people need to have the governer for the rest of our safety. we all know the ones that lack the proper decision making processes.
the ones that are educated(us) can just get a chip/reprogrammer to remove the limit. :D

I am did a performance comparison with the nissan pathfinder and the ford explorer.

Ford Nisssan
Engine v8 4.6L 24v v6 4.0L (almost) 24v
Hp 292 270 @5600rpm
Torque 300 291 @4000rpm
Trans 6spd A 5spd A
curb lb 5059 4842
Towing 7300 6000
0-60 7.8 7.3
1/4 mile 16.2@86mph 15.7@85.8
Skid pad .71 .68

Do you think the explorer has such poor numbers because of the Transmission or maybe the engine was too tight?

the grille remind me of the new jetta both are ugly!

Garth said:
I test drove a 06 limited v8 today and impression is "not bad".

The dash seems a little empty also with absence of the volt and oil pressure guage.

Wish it was night to get a better feel. I also forgot to ask about the customizable colors for the display.

They dropped the gauges, too? Oh, well, those gauges were almost worthless, anyway. I just added an aftermarket voltmeter and oil pressure gauge to the "A" pillar on my '92. Still, it makes me wonder what's next. They dropped the manual transmission years ago. Can the transfer case be far behind, since the soccer moms never use low range.

Bob

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I like the looks of the new 06. It is deffinitly a differant animal than the first gen. Which I kind of have mixed feelings about the way the Explorer has gone over the years.

Back