2006 Explorer | Page 2 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

2006 Explorer

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

The only negative thing I've heard about the 2004 is an axle breakage problem. Don't know if its common, but I heard about someone who had it break 3 times before they sued Ford to get their money back.

I would expect the IRS to be better in terms of rollover. Also, don't forget that they made the Ex a little wider, went to 16 inch wheels and lowered the step in height. All these changes should have made it more stable.

Hey, I never rolled my '92 and never had a problem with the stock Firestone tires, either!

Bob

who here currently owns a 3rd gen modle?, I was just wanting to know of real world impressions of fit and finish as well as driving. I have heard that almost driving a mini van feeling?? Should i be thinking of looking else where for my next suv??:(

Yes, how are the 3rd gens?

dtl 2k2 sport said:
who here currently owns a 3rd gen modle?, I was just wanting to know of real world impressions of fit and finish as well as driving. I have heard that almost driving a mini van feeling?? Should i be thinking of looking else where for my next suv??:(

dtl 2k2 sport (if that's your real name):

Yes, I'm having the same questions. I would like to keep my 92 XLT (172,ooo miles) for many more years, but it won't live forever, so I'm thinking about what my next SUV will be. I'm a loyal Explorer fan (and a big fan of this forum), but the 3rd gens have diverged so much from the 1st and 2nd gens that I don't know if I'd get another one. I don't really like the porky Expedition look, and the unavailability of a manual tranny really has me annoyed. Otherwise, I would surely buy another Ex. I could downsize to a small 4X4 like a Subaru or consider Nissan Xterra or Toyota 4runner. The Escape is nice, but I thnk the Explorer is alot more truck for not that much more money.

Now I haven't driven one, but thore who ahve them have reported on this forum that the ride and handling are much improved over the 1st gen. I dont know if it rides like a minivan, though. (The Honda Pilot probably does: its built on the same platform as the Honda minivan). The Explorer at least is still built on a frame. Even if the stock suspension is soft, you can always add aftermarket shocks. Also, I saw on the Ford web site that you can get it with an offroad package that includes skid plates (standard on 1st & 2nd gen) and an offroad tuned suspension. A limited slip diff is available with the towing package. Still no manual trans, though

So I, too would like to hear how the 3rd gen handles on and off road. Louise-Canbera (new members forum) took her 2003 into the outback and reported good results, though she would like a bit of lift.

Bob

Sure for this site that's my real name!! :)
If you look at the gen 1 and then the gen 3 modle you can see it's almost going back to the old days, w/ the exception that it's a lot larger!! I know in a year or so that I'm probably going to be start looking around, 2006 will be out! I'm always a fan of the lexus RX, but if they are going to all start going to be a car ride and more fuel econconmy which is always good, but i want a real 4x4 and some ground clearnce, Nothing makes me feel good about pulling in a resturaunt and all of the sudden here's mom w/ the soccer team jumping out as she give me a wink!!, as if she's saying,, all i'm missing is the kids! The expedition is a nice truck and the x is pretty nice if u get the (in my opinion) eddie b, or limited!!, the xlt is kinda of a boring look and xls? is the cheapest looking one, I know w/ the honda oddesy, Suv's are going to start to be either on a car frame or mini-van frame,, Is this the death of TRUE SUV's?

It isn't the death of true SUV's...yet! Explorer, 4Runner, and I think Xterra and Pathfinder are still body-on-frame and with real transfer cases. However, the market is being driven by the desire for comfort, luxury and a car-like ride. However, there will still be real truck SUV's unless they are driven out of existence by gov't regulation on fuel economy or very high fuel prices. There are some people who thing the laws of thermodynamics can be legislated and that SUV's are not politically correct, but that alone won't kill them. I just want a vehicle that's good in snow, can take the potholes and occasional unpaved road, and has lots of cargo space. If trucks like Explorer disappear, our only real truck alternative will be pickups.

Bob

As you mention govt regulators are in full stride to improve!! the auto industry. I live in the Washington dc area, and make deliveries in to the capital area and i occasionally will see a congress man or a senator out going to lunch or home or where ever!! I dont see them in x's, no matter the trim level! Actually i do see a lot of surburbans being used but that's the main govt fleet vehicle. And if gas spikes up like it did this summer the demand will drop, Such as the larger suv's, like the excursion,, they cant even give those things away in this area, probably why they are fazing them out, and i've heard they are going to be pushing hybrids more and more!! Is there any plans for a hybrid x? I personally would never want one,,but if they had a deisel,, i think i would go for that! what do u all think?

Gas prices are a knee-jerk reaction. I did the math. If I bought a new car (not a used commuting junker) that gets 30 mpg, in gas savings it wuld pay for itself in about 15 years. Once people get used to the higher prices it doesn't bother them. However, if one were buying a new vehicle anyway, gas milage would be a selling point. The Explorer is plenty big enough for me and most people. The Excursion is a monster. I can see it as a commercial vehicle, but as a famly SUV its overkill, more of a status symbol, I think, unless you need to tow a big trailer.

The future of the SUV may depend on who wins the election, if we get a new head of the EPA and Federal Highway Admin. Tree huggers in high places could do us in. Plus there are lots of lobbying groups that want to convince legislators (who are lawyers, not engineers) that we can "force" automakers to make more efficient trucks.

Now there was a Hybrid Explorer on the drawing boards and there was talk of introducing it in 2006, but apparently the project was dropped. They must be putting all the effort into the hybrid Escape. Hybrids only really help in urban stop 'n go traffic. On the highway there is very little advantage to the hybrid.

I think a diesel Explorer would be a great idea!

Bob

Deisel x is the way of the future, look over (forgive me) in france and germany. They use deisels in about 80 percent or more of their vehicles. I'm not sure where the canadates stand on the auto motive market! Bush rides in a huge 250 or 350. Kerry is uhm,, we'll it depends on his mood probably, fliping and floping! :confused: I know that the NHTSA, is wanting to scale down the suv craze and make them lower, not as powerful w/ the engine line up, (more gas economy bs). The big push will be on these hybrid autos. The escape is just too small, Liberty is comming out w/a deisel, so maybe the oval group will take that idea out of the trash can and try to put in on the table for a 2008 model or something. Some one said they saw a new ford station wagon set up car that's out now, I saw the same thing at my dealer just last week, !! THAT'S not happining. Hideous is not even a word to describe it! Who has more pull when it comes to the vehicle testing and reports, EPA/ or the NHTSA -who deals w/ the govt on testing crash and fuel economy as well!?? anyone know?

You must have seen the new Ford Freestyle wagon. It's based on a Volvo platform. Actually a sport wagon with decent ground clearance and cargo space and AWD would appeal to me, but the Freestyle has a "CVT" transmission, which I don't trust. Also, the ground clearance is only 5 inches. In that class of vehicle, a Subaru Outback would be better.

I had hopes for the Escape. It is very popular here in NJ, but cargo space is mediocre, the gas mileage is only slightly better than Explorer, and I've heard that the auto trans can be problematic.

Jeep Liberty is cute, but my sister rented one and it has very limited cargo space. Also, I hear they only get about 15 mpg. Heck, my old Ex gets 19-20.

Government agency decisions depend on who is in power. Democratic administrations tend to appoint people that want to push for better gas mileage and believe that SUV's are unsafe. Bureaucrats in Republican administrations say let the marketplace decide, and its the tiny cars that are unsafe. Add in congress and lobbyists pushing for 35 mpg legislation, and its a real tug-o-war. Meanwhile, with all the politics, there isn't enough attention being paid to the engineering.

Bob

dtl 2k2 sport said:

Hi. I'm a newie here and I hope i've posted this right. I have an '03 Limited V8 and had a '96 Eddie Bauer V8 (both RWD.) It's definitely larger but nowhere near the size of my sister's Expedition. I can definitely say that the 3rd generation is much improved in terms of fit and finish. I now have 33k miles and have had no mechanical problems. I drive from LA to Vegas monthly and usually do it at speeds north of 90mph. I'm often surprised how fast I can charge uphill with such a low hp rating. My last trip I outgunned a Lexus GX470 and a current model GMC Yukon uphill. Compared to my '96 there are far less squeaks and rattles and the whole truck feels much more substantial. It even gets better mileage than the old 5.0 V8. The only real problem I've had has to do with the radio not turning on for about 30 seconds after start up. The dealer has changed it out once but has never been able to duplicate the problem. I haven't had any axles break as was posted earlier. The only thing bothering me is the disappearance of a bunch of rubber grommets and the beginnings of a rattle around the interior trim piece on the hatch. I've driven a Dodge Caravan and GMC Safari regularly and the only thing minivan-ish about my Expo is seeing the 3rd row headrests. I too am one that hates the new car-based SUVs. My '96 never rolled and I never had to deal with the Firestones as mine came with Goodyears. I hope Ford doesn't screw it up with the next full redesign.

3rd gen Explorers

Thank you, RKiTEK,

I was wondering about the general performance of the 3rd gens relative to the older Explorers. I apprecaite your input.

I just got back from a cabin camping vacation. The loadout in the EX included clothing, bedding, cooking and eating utensils, small grill, a few toys, and a canoe on the roof. Even with both seats folded down, the Explorer was full, so now I'm reluctant to downsize to an Escape or an Outback. So, for my next vehicle, Explorer is still in the running. I think for the money, its a lot more truck than the Escape.

Bob

GO FOR IT, thanks for the input also RKiTEK, I''ve been looking at the eddie b, and love the options and all it comes w/ so I'm thinking of that style for the next one , either 2k5 or holding off till 2k6's roll around,, hope to see a few more pics soon of what it looks like

1. I hate hybrids so much i can't even put it into words :fire:
2. Will gas prices ever go down?
3. Why can't the make bigger engines instead of making smaller ones.
Also i think the diesel Explorer is a good idea, we can even run it on vegetable oil :thumbsup:

Why do you hate hybrids? They have their uses, they're just not advantageous for the kind of commuting that I do. Where the hybrid shines is in stop-and-go urban traffic, where the electric motor does the low-end work. They don't seem to have much advantage in highway driving. On the highway, the gas engine is doing all the work. The electric motor only kicks in when more HP is needed for acceleration.

In terms of torque and horsepower, the hybrids are pretty wimpy. Also, they add complexity and cost. I looked at the specs on the Escape hybrid. Did you know that it has a special battery cooler? Also, in the Honda and Toyota hybrids that I saw, the 12 V battery was very small, which would certainly limit the type of 12 V accessories that you could run.

At least the Escape hybrid doesn't use those "electric vehicle" tires that the Toyota has.

Maybe its a good thing that Ford dropped the idea of a hybrid Explorer. A turbo diesel would make more sense.

Hybrids aren't bad, they just fit only one market: the "greenies" and urban commuters who don't mind spending extra to save the planet and don't need to carry cargo, go in snow, or offroad.

Bob

Bwana Bob said:
In terms of torque and horsepower hybrids are pretty wimpy. Also, they add complexity and cost. I looked at the specs on the Escape hybrid. Did you know that it has a special battery cooler? Also, in the Honda and Toyota hybrids that I saw, the 12 V battery was very small, which would certainly limit the type of 12 V accessories that you could run.

At least the Escape hybrid doesn't use those "electric vehicle" tires that the Toyota has.

Maybe its a good thing that Ford dropped the idea of a hybrid Explorer. A turbo diesel would make more sense.

Hybrids aren't bad, they just fit only one market: the "greenies" and urban commuters who don't mind spending extra to save the planet and don't need to carry cargo, go in snow, or offroad.

Bob

What about the new Lexus RX400h hybrid coming out? How about the Porsche Cayenne hybrid in the works using Lexus' powertrain?

The past of hybrids may be slow urban transports (my son's fiance has a new Prius, its actually a neat little car, lots of gadgets. Has equipment like my LS430 does, keyless entry and start, Navigation, Bluetooth phone, xenon lights, JBL audio and 60MPG all for $26,000. Not bad) but thats certainly not their future. The RX400h will have 270 hp and will do 0-60 under 7 seconds. Its going to be the high performance car in the RX lineup. By 2010 Toyota plans to have a hybrid version of every model Toyota and Lexus and at least on the Lexus side the hybrids are going to be the high performance models.

Where electric motors lack in HP they gain in torque. Like diesels electric motors have way more torque than gas and at way lower RPMs.

Bwana Bob said:

While I agree with you that hybrids aren't bad, comparing the Escape to the Hybrid Escape, they share cargo space, handling and off-road capabilities. And sure, highway driving only gets 7mpg more, but over 11,000 miles per year, that's still 120 gallons of gas saved. Considering you're only paying another $1500 for the hybrid, it pays for itself in gas alone over five years. Granted, for an urbanite like me, it saves about 280 gallons and pays for itself in half the time.

I've never considered myself a "greenie," and other than recycling, you'll never hear me talk about "saving the planet." But the people at Ford worked their butts off to make sure their Hybrid could not just compete, but would impress us all. And I think too many people here instantly dismiss it simply because it's more efficient and has a smaller engine. Until someone takes both for a test drive through similar terrain, I don't think we can judge.

(And yes, price-wise I'm comparing the Hybrid with the Limited, they have the most similar features. Granted, the hybrid has options like 110v outlets and an in-dash navigation screen, but the Limited has its' share of optional luxuries too.)

Er, not to get off-track. But I'm open-minded about the 2006 Explorer, I'd like to see some sharper edges like the Ford Tonka concept they had a few years back.

ford.350tonka.f34.500.jpg

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Anymore news?? Nissan (Pathfinder v6 27ohp & 291ft lbs torque) is calling me but I am not having it!!

Back