2006 LTD fog lights? | Page 2 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

2006 LTD fog lights?

Post number 2 has been selected as best answered.

That 12 mm box is a good diameter lukas but it seems like the long wrench would be a little difficult to get up in there?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

No, I did this several times and there is enough room for the 12 mm box.
Next time give it a try! ;)

Hopefully there will not be a next time, but you never know.

Scorpion, assuming that there are no cracks or breaches in the housings and ...

Thanks! Great info. And thru the powers of the PC I can cut-n'-save this info until I get around to doing the work! :thumbsup:

Would a 12mm deep-well socket work?

Would a 12mm deep-well socket work?

The problem with using a deep socket is that once you have the keepers depressed, you cannot get your fingers or thumb on the backside of the peg to push it out thru the hole in the bumper.

You are absolutely right!
What I like with the 12 mm box is, that you can turn and press it down at the same time to get the keepers down. Then you can use your thumb to press at the backside of the peg.

18858304lg.jpg

18858232to.jpg

Great graphic illustration, lukas! I found it best to release them counter clockwise, starting with the single peg at the top right. The first time I tried to release that one last. Having released the other two first put that one in a bind so it would not release its grip. I then pushed the light back in and started again.

Oh, a side note, don't mess with the little blue plastic mesh. It is meant to let humid condensate out of the lamp and 99.999% of the time it is not plugged.

I just did mine last weekend, and the condensation inside the lens is WORSE than before. Huh?!? How do I tell if that little blue fabric vapor seal is working? I put my lips to it and blew and felt air rush from out of the lens body. But I had run a GOOD bead of silicone RTV around both lenses and let it dry overnight.

Check your o rings on the light bulb first. And are you using halogens or LEDs? Also try letting it dry for a longer time see if that helps. I have noteded when I have my led lights in there is a little condensation that forms. My guess is that they do not get hot enough to evaporate the condensation in the lens so the little blue patch on the back can let it escape.

Yes, check the seal at the bulb. Otherwise, the lamp housing might have a crack somewhere other than where you sealed. I filled mine with water and looked closely to find where mine was cracked.

Check your o rings on the light bulb first. And are you using halogens or LEDs?

Halogen bulbs, type 9145. I prodded around and don't see any other cracks in the lenses or bodies. I'll check the o-ring seals tonight. Are they just standard O-rings or best to get new bulbs?

To get mine out, all I did was use a Diagonal Cutters and cut the tabs out. my whole housing was shot and the new foglight comes the connection posts anyway. It made for a quick easy removal as there was no hardware that needed to be reused.

Had to take the drivers side off the other day to inspect and used the 1/2" copper pipe method someone mentioned here. Worked like a charm and had the lamp housing out in 20 seconds!

Had to take the drivers side off the other day to inspect and used the 1/2" copper pipe method someone mentioned here. Worked like a charm and had the lamp housing out in 20 seconds!

Made 3 bands from 1/2" copper pipe. It did not work for me. Measurements showed that they were simply several thousandths too big to work. I made the washer and they popped right out. Lukas's method with the box end wrench is good, too!

My fogs work, but NO lenses?

Our 2006 Explorer has been on loan to a neighbor and upon its return, its missing the lenses from both sides. Are they replaceable?

Our 2006 Explorer has been on loan to a neighbor and upon its return, its missing the lenses from both sides. Are they replaceable?

That's strange indeed.
I think I would look at full replacement units, maybe even aftermarket.
If the lenses were available (which I am thinking they are not) it might be just
as well to get new units.

That's strange indeed.
I think I would look at full replacement units, maybe even aftermarket.
If the lenses were available (which I am thinking they are not) it might be just
as well to get new units.

I figured that, and I'm shocked that the fogs still work w/o the lenses, however, I'm sure it wont be for long with the weather/roads we have in NY. I guess I better bookmark this oage as I'm sure I'll be back to follow instructions to get them out.

Thank You

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Back