• Register Today It's free!

2006 Mountaineer AWD or Auto 4x4?

RichCresci

Reaction score
City, State
New Jersey
Year, Model & Trim Level
03 XLS, 06 Mounty
I just picked up a 2006 Mercury Mountaineer (I'll post pics at some point). On the back of the truck it says AWD and inside there are no 4x4 selector switches. I drove the truck in the rain yesterday and when I was making a turn I gave it some extra throttle and to my surprise the rear tires spun a little, then there was a definitive 4x4 lockup feeling. This is exactly how my old 2003 Explorer drove.

So question is, is the mountaineer truly "all wheel drive", or simply auto 4x4?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

From what I've read, it's a bit of both....if that makes any sense from a technical standpoint LOL.

I too can get mine to spin the back on wet/loose, such as making the hard left into my driveway when the road is muddy (not that I try often...actually only did it once), and was surprised that the rears spun briefly, then it settled in and quit and drove as it would in true 4wd.

Hey, I'm just glad for the low range ability. I pull a couple of smaller trailers, and sometimes the "granny gearing" makes it easier to pull the trailer out of it's ruts after it's sat there for awhile.

If you've ever had a '97+ V8 you'll know where I come from with regards to low range ;)

(they didn't have any low range capability. What you had was AWD unless you took the front d-shaft out, then, if it was even slightly slick...spin city)

If it’s got low it’s automatic 4wd, and not AWD. If it was AWD you wouldn’t be able to spin as both axles would be driven at the same speed.

“Granny gear” typically refers to an extra low first gear in a manual transmission, not the transfer case.

I know what "granny gear" is, I should've just said low range. A misuse of term, is all. I grew up around 70's 4x4s, and some of them were 3/4 trucks. Granny gear is something familiar lol.

As far as "spinning both axles at the same speed" of course they'll "spin" at the same speed, they're directly connected via the X-case. However, given enough power and/or lack of traction, both the front and rear can be made to spin (tires). I've done it in snow, on ice, and in wet grass with my '98. There's a torque split...not sure what it is...obviously the front gets less.. ;)

The torque split is variable with the Explorer AWD. As the rear spins it biases towards the front.

In an auto 4wd there is a 100% rear bias until slippage is detected and then the electromagnetic clutch “cycles” using pulse width modulation.

Obviously it’ll spin on snow and ice, it’s not magic, I was referring to on the street as was posted.

The torque split is variable with the Explorer AWD. As the rear spins it biases towards the front.

In an auto 4wd there is a 100% rear bias until slippage is detected and then the electromagnetic clutch “cycles” using pulse width modulation.

Obviously it’ll spin on snow and ice, it’s not magic, I was referring to on the street as was posted.

Perfect! That’s the answer I was looking for. Thanks for the help!

Back