• Register Today It's free!

2006 Rear A/C not getting cold

Sylvurhfox

Reaction score
City, State
Fremont Ca
Year, Model & Trim Level
06 Explorer
The rear A/C does not get cold. The blower works and the air is cool at first then gets warm. There must be a swicth to turn off the freon to the rear or the evaporator would freeze.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Just a guess. Maybe it's the blend door actuator for the rear.

2006 Explorer rear A/C not getting cold.

I removed all the covers and finally got to the unit. I found that when the rear A/C blower is turned on (with the evaporator cover off) that the tube just past the expansion valve is cold and the evaporator is cold. But after a few seconds you can feel the evaporator warm up and the suction line is warm again. I believe that the expansion valve is partially plugged and not allowing enough freon to pash through and the blower motor is blowing warm air and the evaporator is warming up. With just the front air on, the evaporator is cold and the suction line is also cold untill the blower is turned on. Then they both get warm.

I am having this same problem, I am going to check the blend door. My line has stayed cold, so I am hoping the expansion valve is ok. These two items seem to fail the most from what I have found.

I found that my problem was the expansion valve. It was not opening up enough to allow freon to flow through and keep the evaporator cold. Fixed and working properly.

Back