• Register Today It's free!

2006 Rear Wiper weak

fishnnut

Reaction score
City, State
Lincoln, NE
Year, Model & Trim Level
2004 Explorer Limited V8
I have a 2006 Limited that the rear wiper quit working, so I got a rebuilt one and it appears very weak. I am thinking it may be a poor ground, or a relay has high resistance. Does anyone know where the ground lug is for the rear wiper? Or do you have any other suggestions?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

If it was a rebuilt one I would just assume it was crap and exchange it before I started looking for anything else.

If it was a rebuilt one I would just assume it was crap and exchange it before I started looking for anything else.
Thanks! I thought the same however this is the 2nd rebuilt one. So I was thinking it may be the vehicle. But I will try another one ,

mine doesn't exactly swipe with the power of 100 men so I actually don't know if its working wrong or you are expecting more... I would connect a power source directly to the rear wiper pigtail and see if it changes... also the wire looms that runs from the liftgate to the roof under the headliner has alot of wires passing through it and will most likely ground somewhere on the rear most roof bow or D pillar

I've also struggled to understand what weak means in this context. Is it really slow or does it just not do a good job? Initially I assumed it was slow. You did replace the wiper didn't you?

I've also struggled to understand what weak means in this context. Is it really slow or does it just not do a good job? Initially I assumed it was slow. You did replace the wiper didn't you?
So

Sorry I didnt describe the "weak" well. The wiper will not move without me moving it by hand. I can feel that it has power on it but it wont move by itself. I am going to get a replacement motor today, the parts store ordered another one. I will post what I find out.

Very common, the pivot shaft seizes from rust. You need to disassemble it, clean it and grease it. Have done it twice on mine already. You'll need to take it off the rear glass, open up the gear box, remove the big nut on the shaft, use some sand paper to clean it and then grease it. Nothing wrong with the voltage or the motor itself. I also had to "help" it with my hand when it seized.

It was a Cardone rebuild. I got 2 bad ones-the third one worked. So now I test the motor before I leave the parts store.

It was a Cardone rebuild. I got 2 bad ones-the third one worked. So now I test the motor before I leave the parts store.
Yeah - that's some serious quality control there :eek:

I heard lots of good about Cardone LOL
Not bad, 33% chance of getting a working part :)

Back