2006 X 4.6L 3V, anyone?

wpurple

Explorer Addict
Reaction score
City, State
CT
Year, Model & Trim Level
97 Explorer
Wondering if anyone has drove the new 06' with the 3V 4.6L...

Curious how it hauls... with almost 300HP and 300ft/lb's and a 6 speed tranny, it should really go.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I love the 4.6L I have in my TBird. I know it's not *exactly* the same engine, but I would imagine it's much the same, maybe with some adjustments/modifications to make it "work" with the Explorer better.

I'd love to check it out myself, if just to compare it to my V8 'Bird! ;)

have not yet seen the inside of a 3V powered explorer

there are a lot of major variations out there on the 4.6 at this point.

i hope it is more reliable than the sohc in which everyone i know has spun bearings. one of them with a stock motor and 27k miles.

expo5.0 said:
i hope it is more reliable than the sohc in which everyone i know has spun bearings. one of them with a stock motor and 27k miles.

My '95 TBird's engine has 123,000 miles on it. All I've had to do was change the oil occasionally. :D

I drove it. Felt good but not kick azz as I expected. Its quiet on the inside and the suspension is very nice.

I bought a copy of car & driver yesterday which they test the ford Explorer against the Jeep commander (hemi, so I was not expecting much). The ex did 0-60 in 7.8sec and the 1/4 16.2@86mph.

Oh and its governed at 98mph top speed.

I'm half tempted to take the parents '02 to the local dealer and act like I'm gonna trade it in. And take an EB out for a test ride.

I think you can even schedule a test drive at ford.com

expo5.0 said:
have not yet seen the inside of a 3V powered explorer

there are a lot of major variations out there on the 4.6 at this point.

I've never heard this and I'm very familiar with the 4.6 SOHC. I've had my '97 Bird for 133,000 miles and still going strong. The main problem with the pre-2002 4.6 is the composite intake cracking and leaking coolant. Never heard of any problems of spun bearings. i know of many Birds with over 200,000 miles with no problems. The 4.6 is a great motor, especially the 1999 and up PI motors. The PI motors have 50+ HP more than the earlier versions due to better cams, intake, and bigger intake/exhaust ports on the head.

Maybe you are thinking of the 4.2 six in the Chebbie Trailblazer?

I believe the 3 valve 4.6 is a different animal, though. Don't know much about it yet.

i have a 2002 V8, and took out the 2006 V8 this week. its a little quicker, a hell of a lot quieter!!

but the 06 interior is quite interesting. i am 6'3" and the new damn door handle hits me wrong! the dealer said that that would be gone in 07. we'll see.

i'm not an idiot-

i'm talking about the four local mustang owners (two of whom are close friends) who have done this in the last 4 months. One of the cars had 27k miles and was stock other than exhaust and an air filter, the other three all were making 380 or more at the wheels with supercharger set-ups. I can provide links to threads on the local mustang forum's detailing this problem and its relative prevailence. these cars vary from 99-04. the one that went at 27k was a 2004- btw the dealer did not warranty it because of the intake and exhaust... yet still charged him $1000 for figuring out what the problem was.

The V8 is strong and snooth, no issues, good pull and maintaining 16-18 mpg with mixed driving and occasional deep dips into the throttle.

3400 miles so far

I got a 06 with the 4.6L 3V V8 and I LOVE IT! well except for that speed governor... lol. im alwayz driving on the highway and find myself punchin it all the way up to 100!!!!!...... then it stops... but im gettin a programmer to take care of that problem. u stick it to the floor, u get a nice groan from the engine, then u just see cars fly past you. check out my youtube site http://www.youtube.com/ELMATADORLOKZ . hope that helps.

Back