• Register Today It's free!

2006 X V8= more HP??

plrs x45

Reaction score
City, State
Joliet, Il
Year, Model & Trim Level
98 xlt V8
Hello to all. I know this is a great website and I love my X. I was at the auto show in Chicago and even though I believe a new X is right for me (I have 2 payments left on my current X), I can't help but see EVERYONE has a V6 with more HP than the Ford X V8. I have driven a new X with a V8 and performance is not the top priority but, it would be nice not to be rocked by a new Nissan pathfinder. After careful consideration, it is between the new X and the Nissan Armada (mostly based on price and room). I was serious about the new HEMI jeep but I could not sit in the back seat if ANYONE was in the drivers seat. Please help if you have any ideas if the X will get a hp bump or not. I am not looking for ideas on other vehicles, I want a new X V8.
Thank you in advance.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Rumor is the Mountaineer is getting the new 3V 4.6. I forget the numbers. I think it also gets a 6 speed auto. The Expo might also get it. But Ford's quality has gotten downright terrible. I would honestly say that I would not purchase a Ford vehicle that was made after 2001.

I have reasons for this if you would care to PM to find out.

Is the new 06 v8 even a 5.0L? Not every V8 is a 5L. I know the SHOs had a 3.4liter V8 that had slightly less power than the 4.0L V6. Ford's just thinking ahead and trying to make their vehicles more fuel efficient. Fuel efficiency often includes reducing horsepower.

I have reasons for this if you would care to PM to find out.

I would be interested in this. Im not a ford fan but my 98 has been better than expected regarding quality on the long term.

Interstate said:
Is the new 06 v8 even a 5.0L?
Ford stopped putting 5.0s in Explorers three years ago..........................about six years too late IMO. :D

Its amazing how many people still think Ford's using the 5.0 still. Customers at work, people at school, even though the modular engine family's been around for about 13 years now and the 5.0 was dead after '01. And its been dead in non-Explorer applications since '96.

jayhawkexplorer said:
Its amazing how many people still think Ford's using the 5.0 still. Customers at work, people at school, even though the modular engine family's been around for about 13 years now and the 5.0 was dead after '01. And its been dead in non-Explorer applications since '96.

Modulars have been around since '92? In what or prototype? I thought I kept up fairly well and I thought 95 was when Ford first went modular with the 4.6 in the stangs and crown vic's?

Interstate said:
Is the new 06 v8 even a 5.0L? Not every V8 is a 5L. I know the SHOs had a 3.4liter V8 that had slightly less power than the 4.0L V6. Ford's just thinking ahead and trying to make their vehicles more fuel efficient. Fuel efficiency often includes reducing horsepower.

In my post you will see I stated it might be a 3V 4.6litre. The current Explorer uses a 2V 4.6Litre. In '96 the Stang got the 4.6L. in '01/'02 the Expo got the 4.6L.

So Ford has technically though ahead.

Since you guys asked, I'll start with our '02:
~Rear wiper motor replaced twice
~Sway bar bushings gone after a few thousand miles
~Tranny gone at 33k
~Tranny going again
~Numerous reprogramming of the tranny
~Oil pressure sender died going down the highway
~CD Player died and took a cd with it
~Tires lasted <30k miles
~Rear window recall
~6ft person can't sit in it comfortably(more opinion based)
~4WD Computer shot
~Rear diffy replaced due to loud whine

I think thats it for those.

The new 6.0Ls head gaskets blow like crazy. Turbos are dieing. Place my dad works at has many Ford's in it fleet and that just the new 6.0L. The V10s blow spark plugs out the heads

My boss had similar problems with his '02 Expo. Plus his ignition feels like it could fall out, difficult to stick a key in it, horrible cam chain rattle(suprised?), tranny problems, 4wd problems, rear wiper problems

Most of the problems I've listed for our Explorer are quite wide spread from what we've heard. Many people in my area have these same problems. Its quite disgusting. I've had a few problems with my '00, but I'm not going to complain, they were maintance item. Although a few things shouldn't have crapped out when they did.

Thankfully we have an excellent Ford dealer in our area and they replace anything that we say is wrong, no questions asked. They go out of their way to please people, which is something you don't see these days. The customer service would be my only reason to buy a new Ford.

Having the above said, I will keep my 99 5L :)

RFR2212 said:
Modulars have been around since '92? In what or prototype? I thought I kept up fairly well and I thought 95 was when Ford first went modular with the 4.6 in the stangs and crown vic's?
Yea, but they have been putting them in Lincolns since '91.

IAmTodd said:
...which is something you don't see these days.

haha... I'm sorry I just had to point out this line sounds funny cause you're only 18 years old!

IAmTodd said:
In my post you will see I stated it might be a 3V 4.6litre. The current Explorer uses a 2V 4.6Litre.

The new Mounty (and presumably Ex) engine is the 3V 4.6L. The shift is to 3V engines from 2--first was the 5.4L, then the 6.8, now the 4.6.

Nick26 said:
haha... I'm sorry I just had to point out this line sounds funny cause you're only 18 years old!

Ha Ha, sorry that I've had expierience at my age. I've seen a ton of bull crap dealers and mechanics will give you. I'm not gonna turn into AK here, but fudge off.

if its getting the 3V 4.6 it will be 300hp and i'm not sure on the torque. I'd hold out and see what next year brings if you still want an explorer. i work at a dealer and have driven many of the 4.6 explorers and don't think they are underpowered at all, but too each his own i suppose

I haven't really been up to date with the new fords and all their options, forgive me. But you also have to keep in mind that those are estimates, not dyno pulls. Which also reveals thepossiblility that Ford underestimated those numbers for insurance purposes.

Kinda lost on your 6.0L statement. My dads '03 superduty has at least 50k on it and the only problem was a wastegate problem (recall by Ford) and a battery cable problem (also recalled by Ford). Keep in mind he's also got numerous power adders boosting him to well over 600 lb/ft as well with no drivetrain problems. Only thing he wore down was his tires...

Todd, from your list you must be doing something wrong, or you got a lime (not really a lemon :p )... I've got 33k on my clock and nothing is remotely wrong with my X except with brake noise (which is normal due to rust) My tires still have about 10-15k left on them, and the tranny still feels sturdy.

That whine sounds like incorrect tightening of the pinon collar shims or bearing seating.

Todd You must be doing something wrong, cause I have a 95 XLT with 125K on it and the only noise I hear is the tires and thats only because I knocked the alignment off while off-roading.

Sport4x4 said:
if its getting the 3V 4.6 it will be 300hp and i'm not sure on the torque. I'd hold out and see what next year brings if you still want an explorer. i work at a dealer and have driven many of the 4.6 explorers and don't think they are underpowered at all, but too each his own i suppose

The initial press release from the Chicago Auto Show has it at 292hp. The 300hp 4.6 is the 4V in the Aviator.

From thecarconnection.com:
Along with the '06 Milan , officials lifted the covers on the 2006 remake of Mercury's Mountaineer. The new model has undergone some significant improvements. The rear, independent suspension has been modified to allow for an unusually flat load floor, even with three rows. The split-fold rear seats are both operated electrically. The Mountaineer gets a 292-hp, three-valve-per-cylinder, 4.6-liter V-8 producing 292 hp. The engine is mated to a six-speed automatic. The SUV gets such niceties as an electrically heated front windshield, and added safety features including a new, dual-depth airbag designed to reduce the chance of injuries to small women and children. Active safety features including the AdvanceTrac stability system, and an anti-roll system.

blichy said:
The initial press release from the Chicago Auto Show has it at 292hp. The 300hp 4.6 is the 4V in the Aviator.

the 3V 4.6 in the new mustang has 300hp. most likely that is the one going in the mountaineer but they tuned it for my torque which result in a loss of some hp.

Sport4x4 said:
the 3V 4.6 in the new mustang has 300hp. most likely that is the one going in the mountaineer but they tuned it for my torque which result in a loss of some hp.

And exhaust restrictions and such. The 4.6 currently in them is directly out of the mustang I believe. So it lost about 20hp with exhaust, intake, and computer tuning more than likely.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

but i think it makes more torque....

Back