Dismiss Notice

Register Today It's free! This box will disappear once registered!

2007 Explorer XLT Drain Plug Leak

Discussion in 'Stock 2006 -2010 Explorers' started by Chris Yoder, April 16, 2019 at 5:57 PM.

^^Searches ExplorerForum.com^^
  1. Chris Yoder

Chris Yoder New Member

City, State:
    Indianapolis, IN
    Year, Model & Trim Level:
    2007 Ford Explorer XLT
    Hey all,

Quick question. I have gotten a leak at the drain plug after I changed the notorious thermostat housing out. This leak was not there before. I drained the fluid out changed thermostat housing, and put fluid back in. Upon starting the car it started leaking at the drain plug, and is now leaking profusely with the truck off. I have changed the plug to aftermarket due to another project and it broke off the original. It never leaked after I changed it from the original until after the thermostat housing was changed. From the few pictures it looks like the plug is almost to long or something. Im not sure what is going on. Its leaking around the head of the plug and the actual drain in the radiator. I see no cracks anywhere. Is it possible to put washers and/or gasket sealant around here to try and seal it? Is this a common issue with these SUV's? How hard is it to change the radiator in one of these if its got a hairline crack somewhere? Am I just plain missing something? 20190416_163513.jpg 20190416_163542.jpg 20190416_174601.jpg

2. Support EF

Join the Elite Explorers for $20

Explorer Forum has probably saved you that much already, and will continue to save you money as you learn how to diagnose fix problems yourself and learn which modifications work without having to experiment on your own. Elite Explorer members see practically no ads, can add their own profile photo, upload photo attachments in all forums, and Media Gallery, create more private Conversations, and more. Join Today. Your support is greatly appreciated.

3. Explorer_PL

Explorer_PL Elite Explorer

City, State:
    Rockland County, NY
    06EB V8 & 07EB V6
    Welcome to the forum.
    Replacing the radiator is a medium PITA
    Search the forum and you'll find some posts with what others used and some tricks.
    Can you use teflon tape and even a regular bolt ?
    That should work in a meantime.

4. 07EddyB

07EddyB Active Member

City, State:
    Bowling Green, KY
    2007 Ford Explorer 4.6 V8
    I don't like the color of that antifreeze...

5. Chris Yoder

Chris Yoder New Member

City, State:
    Indianapolis, IN
    2007 Ford Explorer XLT
    Why is that? Thats fresh antifreeze. Was just flushed and changed before winter time.

6. 07EddyB

07EddyB Active Member

City, State:
    Bowling Green, KY
    2007 Ford Explorer 4.6 V8
    The Explorer uses the gold antifreeze. HOAT I believe? Check the manual. Does it really matter? Can you run a universal? Who really knows for sure.
    Xerex makes an aftermarket if you don't want to buy from Ford.

We Support Our Troops!