Dismiss Notice

Register Today It's free! This box will disappear once registered!

2007 Sport Trac V8 - MPG

Discussion in '2007 - 2010 Explorer Sport Trac' started by AJdude, November 11, 2013.

• Searches ExplorerForum.com
    1. AJdude

AJdude New Member

City, State:
      Florida
      Year, Model & Trim Level:
      2007 Ford Sport Trac V8
      I have a 2007 Sport Trac with a 4.6L V8.

Currently have oversized tires (185/60/18)(nitto dune grappler)

I am currently getting about 13MPG city

How can I increase this? Maybe a chip?

Thanks!!!

2. Support EF

Join the Elite Explorers for $20

Explorer Forum has probably saved you that much already, and will continue to save you money as you learn how to diagnose fix problems yourself and learn which modifications work without having to experiment on your own. Elite Explorer members see practically no ads, can add their own profile photo, upload photo attachments in all forums, and Media Gallery, create more private Conversations, and more. Join Today. Your support is greatly appreciated.

to hide adverts.
    3. GSU4x4

GSU4x4 Active Member

City, State:
      Canton, GA
      '07 Sport Trac XLT
      That size can't be right, is it? That seems very small maybe 285 not 185 cause I have 265/70r16 General Grabber AT2's on mine. Anyways the bigger tires are going to kill your mileage, I have the same truck, 07 V8 4x4 and when I baby it around I get about 14-15 city. I'm looking into getting a programmer for mine to see if I can increase the mileage, I've done some searching on this forum and it seems like Hypertech has helped some people and didn't help others. I'm planning on getting a Hypertech when I get the Truxxx lift kit and slightly bigger tires to help with the mileage.

4. calahan#2211

calahan#2211 Member

City, State:
      southern California
      07 Sport Trac Limited V8
      A 285/60/18 has a running diameter of 31.5" as opposed to the original designed diameter of 30". That is about a 5% change in gearing and multiplication of the torque. You have two things working against you, the taller gearing and mostly the added weight. About the only thing you can do is correct the gearing multiplication or maybe go even a bit shorter. Trying to get a heavy vehicle ( mine is a 2wd and weighs 4,800 lbs ) and a heavier tire ( with less torque multiplication ) takes more fuel than carrying it down the road at a constant speed. I'm thinking you may want to go to at least a 3.73 gear ratio in the diffs. Actually a change to 3.90's ( 10% ) would probably work best. The problem is the you may not have a vast array of choices for the front diff. You'll have to do a little research to see what's available. A k/n drop in air cleaner may help a bit. I know it doesn't sound like the simple solution, but is most likely the only thing that will make a real difference. With the shorter gearing you might notice a slight change in highway mileage but would be pretty negligible. :usa:

5. AJdude

AJdude New Member

City, State:
      Florida
      2007 Ford Sport Trac V8
      Ya that was a typo! haha 285 is correct!!!!

Im also considering getting a lift for it, Im gonna look at the Truxxx one. Thanks!