• Register Today It's free!

2007 Transmission

markfnc

Reaction score
City, State
Johnston County, NC
Year, Model & Trim Level
2007 Eddie Bauer
I have a V6 2 wd 2007 explorer. The jiffy lube guys alsways say the transmission needs flushed, but a guy i go to church with that has a repair place sasy the transmission is sealed and not to worry. I have 122,000 miles. should i have this done?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I just got my 07 explorer at 93000 miles and I think i read that we are good until 150,000 for the sealed trannys?

IMO, if you plan on keeping the vehicle, I would definitely get the transmission fluid changed. You notice that I didn't say "flushed." There are a lot of opinions on this issue, but the main thing is to get it done in a way you are comfortable with.

I had mine flushed/changed soon after I bought my EX at 83,000 miles. The only thing that I noticed is that it now shifts out of park a lot smoother.

The service manual for the 07 (I have one too) says to change the trans fluid every 30K. That may be similar to the recommendation to change your oil every 3K - which we all know is overkill. All I can say is what the maintenance recommendations call for in the book.

I DO know that when I bought mine it had 96K on the clock and I had the fluid changed at that time. I immediately noticed smoother shifting, which leads me to believe it had never been done before. With this transmission I would take it to the dealer to have this done. You want this job done right, and it isn't much more to have it done at the dealer.

My experience with all the vehicles I've had has been that proper maintenance goes a long way to making things last. When in doubt, never rely on word of mouth, check the book yourself.

Back