Dismiss Notice

Register Today It's free! This box and some ads will disappear once registered!

2007 xlt lights galore! the good and bad calling the experts!

Discussion in 'Stock 2006 -2010 Explorers' started by chriscraftgal, January 8, 2014.

^^Searches ExplorerForum.com^^

1. chriscraftgal

chriscraftgal New Member

City, State:
    Southeastern Michigan
    Year, Model & Trim Level:
    2007 explorer xlt
    Ok, Im one of those girls that would rather be in the garage with the guys til its time to get the dress on! Ive been paying close attention to details to give you for diagnosis!
    Just got the car about a month ago as a repo so I have no history. About a wk ago... got engine light. Computer says P0446 some emission crap.
    Few days later oh I have lights! When I take off, in 2wd or 4wd same thing, No lights at first til about 10 mph, then car will bogg feels like the brakes are on... ABS will engage when I put brakes on. I slow down, then when I take off, the ABS light, wrench light and traction light come on. Then it rides fine. It happened a time or two few days ago then today pretty much every time. (Im a home care nurse so in and out of car all day). Had mech computer read with lights on, nothing besides the P0446 comes up.
    Im not sure to think some kind of sensor?, module?, trans? (thinking not), Im thinking it's brain is crazy! Told my hubby this is NOT your opportunity to claim relation to operator!
    OH another detail... noted at times when I put in park and turn it off, it at times will jump. Linkage adjustment? That's what sent me on the original trans thought....
    So, if any of you have ideas, Im off on Friday. LIke to take it in somewhere with some clue of where to start. Being blonde, I know I tend to be prey in some mechanic eyes but Im counting on your advice to help me be properly armed! Thanks! Looking for some insight! DMS

2. Support EF

Join the Elite Explorers for $20

Explorer Forum has probably saved you that much already, and will continue to save you money as you learn how to diagnose fix problems yourself and learn which modifications work without having to experiment on your own. Elite Explorer members see practically no ads, can add their own profile photo, upload photo attachments in all forums, and Media Gallery, create more private Conversations, and more. Join Today. Your support is greatly appreciated.

3. Ornery

Ornery Active Member

City, State:
    Northeast Ohio
    2006 Explorer EB V8 4WD
    May be more than one issue. Clogged cat converter may be one. Bad ABS sensor or wheel bearing may be the other.

4. chriscraftgal

chriscraftgal New Member

City, State:
    Southeastern Michigan
    2007 explorer xlt
    Was searching the site last night.... looks like the tone Ring may be part of it???? But those posts certainly didn't include the blogging. I did think about the cat converter issue too because the engine light is also on it comes up with a P0446 code for that. Im gonna take it to a mechanic today for the better computer. The one I had it on yesterday was kinda limited. Thanks for response though..... every thought leads me into more research and a diagnosis

5. Flag Gibby

Flag Gibby Well-Known Member

City, State:
    Flagstaff, AZ
    2006 Mountaineer AWD
    Based on what you are saying, I want to say that you have the V8 with the 6speed transmission. It sounds to me like you potentially have a vacuum leak that is causing your P0446 code and causing the vehicle to idle high so when you put it in park it jumps, but that is just an initial thought. Like Ornery said, you might have more than one issue and the EGR code needs to get fixed first and then go from there.
    I really don't think that the tone rings are an issue right now since the gearing on the 6 speed (if you have the 6 speed) is so low that if you hit the gas with a rolling start you can pretty easily spin the wheels on the vehicle.