1. Tip...
    If you hold most smartphones sideways
    you can bring up a more full featured version of the forum.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice

Register Today It's free! This box will disappear once registered!

2007 xlt - pressure in the gas tank/fill problems

Discussion in 'Stock 2006 -2010 Explorers' started by Grainger, July 24, 2011.

^^Searches ExplorerForum.com^^

1. Grainger

Grainger New Member

City, State:
    ON
    Year, Model & Trim Level:
    2007 XLT
    Hi, I'm new to this forum, just actually found it while researching what's wrong with my 07 explorer.

For several months now I've had a terrible time filling the tank and usually give up at $25. It just keeps kicking off after I've got about $13 worth in - every time.

The check engine light is on but I think it comes on regularly when they want me to go back to ford for reg. maintenance.

Last week the "wrench" light came on. In the book it said it was related to powertrain etc. so I took it into Ford. Powertrain is listed under warranty
    for 6 yrs....

Funny, anyways, they kept the vehicle for 2 days, charged me $100 and told me that they'd have to pull the gastank to try and find out what the problem was. Seems it's related to emissions? Possible a leak in a hose on top of the gas tank. They said the gas fill problem was pressure in the tank. They don't think any of this will be covered under warranty.

Estimate was $550 just to take the tank off and start looking around. My main concern here is that they've worked on this vehicle before when it was under warranty and it literally took them weeks worth of time to find the problem. I had to take it back over 10 times. I'm concerned that I'll be saddled with thousands of dollars to get this problem fixed.
    Any ideas what's causing this problem?
    thanks

2. Support EF

Join the Elite Explorers for $20

Explorer Forum has probably saved you that much already, and will continue to save you money as you learn how to diagnose fix problems yourself and learn which modifications work without having to experiment on your own. Elite Explorer members see practically no ads, can add their own profile photo, upload photo attachments in all forums, and Media Gallery, create more private Conversations, and more. Join Today. Your support is greatly appreciated.

3. Davidm53

Davidm53 Active Member

Year, Model & Trim Level:
    2006 Eddie Bauer V6
    Find a local shop that you can trust and do not use the dealership.
    Call around also and find hourly rates to compare. Would not use a dealership except for anything but warranty work or service bulletins.

4. waskly

waskly Well-Known Member

City, State:
    Crooklyn NY!
    do you have a gas cap or cap less filler neck?