1. Tip...
    If you hold most smartphones sideways
    you can bring up a more full featured version of the forum.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice

Register Today It's free! This box will disappear once registered!

2008 Explorer 4X4 Comfort Upgrade

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by rwnorris, August 4, 2011.

^^Searches ExplorerForum.com^^

1. rwnorris

rwnorris New Member

City, State:
    Timberon, NM (Souther Rocky Mountains in New Mexico)
    Year, Model & Trim Level:
    2008 Explorer XLT 4X4
    As a life long Ford owner and the current owner of my third and fourth Explorer, I am about to venture into comfort.

I am going to replace the standard head unit with a Sony GPS/DVD with rearview camera. I plan to document the journey with photos and notes if anyone would like a copy, just let me know.

Always willing to help if I can. Presently have my 2008 and 1996 both bought new by my wife and running strong. The 1996 has 177K on the V-6 4X4 and has seen a tough life in an area that gets 200 inches of snow per year and we drive monthly through the desert to El Paso, TX for medical appointments. It has never needed more than oil changes and filters since day one. Three brake jobs and that is it. FORD TOUGH.

2. Support EF

Special! - 2 Year Elite membership now through July 24 $20!

Explorer Forum has probably saved you that much already, and will continue to save you money as you learn how to diagnose fix problems yourself and learn which modifications work without having to experiment on your own. Elite Explorer members see practically no ads, can add their own profile photo, upload photo attachments in all forums, and Media Gallery, create more private Conversations, and more. Join Today. Your support is greatly appreciated.

3. BrooklynBay

BrooklynBay Moderator & long time member. Staff Member Moderator Elite Explorer

City, State:
    Brooklyn, NY
    88 89 93 95 96 Aerostars
  4. rwnorris

rwnorris New Member

City, State:
    Timberon, NM (Souther Rocky Mountains in New Mexico)
    2008 Explorer XLT 4X4
    Sony XNV660BT Complete

Well the project is underway. Now so far, only three problems.
    1. I can't figure out how to install the "rear view camera" and what is called the "trigger" wire for it from the head unit.

2. If you do this project with the HD Radio kit, remember it requires a Y Adapter for the antenna so you have a lead to the head unit and to the HD unit mounted under the seat. Other wise your tuner will not work.

3. Steering Wheel contorls using the PAC SWI-PS. What a disappointment. I spent three hours trying to program, sent PAC emails, then I find out they are not open on weekends. I have now ordered the AXXESS control for the Explorer. They claim it is self programing.

Now the only advice I have is, make your wire surplus small so you can push it into the dash opening. DO NOT push on the LCD screen. You need to find room to hide all that spagatti in the dash. Good Luck.

If you know where the "Reverse Wire" should be connected or what they mean by a "trigger", let me know. LOL

Rodger