2008 Head Gasket | Page 2 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

2008 Head Gasket

Hey all, just found out today a head gasket on my V8 is blown. Slow leak of coolant down the side of the block at the rear driver's side corner. Only 54,000 miles. Though it is almost 7 years old. Pretty disappointed though. I'm waiting to get confirmation tomorrow that my GM extended warranty will cover it. I bought it used at a Cadillac dealership. Any advice?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Good luck Kam327 they still have mine and aren't in any hurry to fix it! Stu

Good luck Kam327 they still have mine and aren't in any hurry to fix it! Stu

Hey stu, thanks. Did you find out yet if they're going to fix yours yet? What's the status?

After waiting 2 days finally got confirmation today the GM extended warranty will cover mine so I'm relieved about that. They expect to have it ready Tuesday, a week after taking it in. Decided to pay $665 out of pocket to have the other head gasket done while they're doing the blown one, plus replace the spark plugs and coils while they have the heads off. I've read on here that replacing the plugs on these V8s is a REAL bear. Better to do it early now than have them get stuck in there at 100,000.

Pics of the Explorer being put back together this afternoon.

ry%3D480.jpg

ry%3D480.jpg

ry%3D480.jpg

I stopped by to check. They are now saying that Ford is just going to put heads on it. I am kinda frustrated. I just hope that it don't crack another set. I was also told the fan clutch was bad and that was what caused the overheating. Keep in mind, the overheating that never happened! That motor has never been hot. I know it hasn't. He also said he was going to put a temp sensor in it. Just can't see that it has ever been hot. No evidence, antifreeze doesn't smell burned, the temp light has never came on, and they can't prove that it has. I am trying to get up with Ford to see what they will say. But they are only in while I am working so I will have to email them. Hope this works out ok. KAM327 glad yours is under warr. and you are getting service. Mine has been there forever and nothing!
Stu

I emailed Ford with my problem yesterday. Still waiting on a reply! Stu

Got the Explorer back this morning. Total bill for both head gaskets and change out the plugs while they had the heads off was just shy of $3,000 with tax. I suspect that was negotiated down a bit by my extended warranty company from what they would have charged me. Ran like new during the 10 miles to work but time will tell.

Well it finally went inside on Tuesday of this week. They called yesterday and said may be out today. I went up in the late afternoon to check on it the motor was back in but that is all you could say for it. This has been 43-44 days not sure now. Getting kinda crazy. I just hope it is right when I get it back. Certainly won't be because they rushed it back together will it!? Oh well just thought I would keep you guys posted.
Stu

Wholly hell man, they still have your ex?! Wow...

Well I got it back yesterday. I had to spend 2.5 hrs fighting with them over a fan clutch that was supposed to be bad. I wasn't told they were going to charge me for it till I went to get it. But anyway after being very stuck on not paying the $366 I didn't have to pay it. They tried the ol' well Stuart why don't you pay half and all that. I just insisted NO. But anyway, now after riding it to take my girl to school I smelled smoke. I popped the hood when I got home and it looks as if it is coming from somewhere in the backside of the engine. I think it may be oil on the engine from where they pulled the motor. But not sure. Anything I should look for after having heads put on? I mean typical symptoms of something going wrong and stuff like that. Thanks for all the help with this guys. I hope it will be ok now. The dealer isn't real happy with me right now due to the fussing yesterday. I guess if any repair it will go to the other dealer, but they are 35mins away. I have thought about taking it up where they fixed it today about the oil burning smell though. Once again sorry so long and thanks.
Stu

I would get in there with a mirror to make sure something isn't wrong. Could just be oil spilled on it but may be a wiring harness out of place getting too close to the exhaust or something.

Update: Got up this morning to take my little girl to school came back home thought will I will check the fluids on the Mounty. I popped and raised the hood. i went inside a while to let the oil drain down. Came back out maybe 1hr later the oil was fine but the coolant tank under the hood is dry again! So I took it to the dealer again. They are gonna check it out. But I did get a sweet loaner, Lincoln MDX! But anyway, what now. Could it be a cracked block as well? I told them I was smelling something burning didn't smell like antifreeze to me though. And where I saw the smoke coming from so maybe I will know something else in a couple days. I am sorta worried about this thing.
STu

And the saga continues...
Yep, was kinda worried about this. If Ford would just fix stuff instead of patching it up I would be ok.
Stu

Well took it in on Fri. and got it back on Mon. they said they pressure tested it and it passed. Must have been air in the system They refilled it and sent me on. Said the smell was oil on the block. Got up today and the resivoir was empty again! Took it back to them again today. I am fed up with this.
STu

If you're losing an entire reservoir's worth of coolant in just a day or two seems to me you'd be seeing a lot of white smoke out the tailpipe if it was an internal engine problem. I'm assuming you've checked for puddles in your garage or driveway.

No puddles, no noticable smoke. But they rechecked it and it is shooting out the tailpipe again. My guess is cracked block.What do you guys say? Really getting tired of this. About ready to tell them they can buy it off of me if they can't seem to find how to fix it.
Stu

No doubt you are getting sick of this. Regardless, you have warranty and they have to honour it. You'll just have to be patient.

THey tried to screw me on the warr. the 1st time. They told me if I didn't agree to pay for the clutch fan they put on "that I never agreed to have done and pay for" they would turn it into Ford and my claim would be disaproved. I promptly told them that I WOULD NOT be threatened into paying for parts I didn't ask for by saying you are going to take away my warr. I Just hope they don't try to get stupid again. I have already proved that I will stick up for what is right. I called all the way to the owner of the car lot. This shouldn't be this hard. The right thig should be done to begin with, they should have tested and seen what the issue was and I shouldn't have to take it back 3-4 times and be ran around for over 50 days now to get what is right done. Now I am going to be leaving for GA for 3 weeks and leaving my wife here with their loaner car. I told them not to call them, contact me. Thanks for listening!
Stu

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

See what they come up with, be polite, calm and take it in. Give them your cell number, tell them to not call your residence, tell your wife to not pick up the phone if they call the house. If they get stupid with you again, simply ask who your lawyer can call to talk to about the problem they are having honouring their warranty. Start calling Ford complaining, stick to your guns but be calm and polite.

I would also study the heck out of the warranty agreement and terms and conditions. Know it off by heart, be able to quote sections of it. Show them you aren't some dummy that is willing to be taken advantage of.

Back