Dismiss Notice

Register Today It's free! This box and some ads will disappear once registered!

2008 Mounty Premier (V8)

Discussion in 'Stock 2006 -2010 Explorers' started by Bobmbx, April 13, 2015.

^^Searches ExplorerForum.com^^

1. Bobmbx

Bobmbx Active Member

City, State:
    King George, VA
    Year, Model & Trim Level:
    2016 Explorer Platinum
    I'm going to look at an 08 Mounty V8 to replace the '99 Mounty.

The 08 has 109k miles, and is listed for $11,000.

Any thoughts, experiences, foibles, and things to watch out for you guys may have would be appreciated.

2. Support EF

Join the Elite Explorers for $20

Explorer Forum has probably saved you that much already, and will continue to save you money as you learn how to diagnose fix problems yourself and learn which modifications work without having to experiment on your own. Elite Explorer members see practically no ads, can add their own profile photo, upload photo attachments in all forums, and Media Gallery, create more private Conversations, and more. Join Today. Your support is greatly appreciated.

3. Explorer_PL

Explorer_PL Elite Explorer

City, State:
    Rockland County, NY
    06EB V8 & 07EB V6
    Where do we start :) ?

Make sure they changed the spark plugs. Maybe yours has the improved heads. Exhaust manifolds warp and leak exhaust and create ticking sound that annoyed me like hell. About $ 800 job per side at a shop.
    Camshaft phasers went bad on mine at 198k miles, at which point I am about to swap a used engine. I have been driving like that for the past 3 k miles and it's not fun.

Otherwise, the v8 / 6R combo is one of the best cars I have had so far. Does everything I need it to do, haul 7 people, pull trailers, plow the snow...
    Not sure about the price, have not checked those in a while.

4. jrford

jrford Well-Known Member

City, State:
    Birmingham, MI
    '10 Sport Trac
    I got two a 2010 V8 Mounty and a 2010 v8 ST. Like he said above best combo that i've had so far. I tow a boat and camper.

5. thebrakeman

thebrakeman Well-Known Member

City, State:
    Canton, Michigan
    2006 Mercury Mountaineer
    If the exhaust manifolds are leaking, you will only hear it when absolutely cold. Goes away within a few minutes for me. It's an embarrassing noise, but not enough for me to pony up that kind of money.

But the point being, tell the seller not to start the engine the day that you are taking a look. Pop the hood and make sure it's cold.

6. Bobmbx

Bobmbx Active Member

City, State:
    King George, VA
    2016 Explorer Platinum
    Thanks guys. Its for the Mrs., don't want to buy something I have to start sinking money into right away.

There's always something odd with used cars, though. One of the tires on my 06 had about a gallon of water in it. Didn't know until I bought new tires. The tire guys were stunned, and of course, everyone in the shop had to be informed.

I have no idea how it got there. Rusted the crap out of the TPMS sensor and strap.

7. MNgopher

MNgopher Active Member

City, State:
    Lakeville, MN
    '07 XLT V8
    A lot of it you probably already know - things are similar to the 3rd gen. The wheel bearings tend to make it about 80,000 before some will need replacement. Anything more is a bonus. Check the axle seals to see if they are leaking. All of the 4th gen ones I looked at with 70-110,000 miles had one leaking or had recently repaired a leaking seal prior to sale. Make sure the rear wiper works. Seemed to be a typical problem or repaired by the dealer prior to offering for sale. Motorized 3rd row seats tend to have issues.

Other stuff:
    Check the radiator for leaks - if its leaking you should see it where the lower mount "pegs" into body mounts.
    Exhaust manifold and plugs have been covered...
    Early 6 speed transmissions sometimes have a "bump stop" on the 2-1 downshift. Found it on one of the explorers I drove. Mixed reports on getting rid of it.
    Make sure it has the trailer hitch you want on it since its welded into the frame. You can add a Class III hitch, but it will look funny and hang down under the bumper.

Happy shopping!

8. Bobmbx

Bobmbx Active Member

City, State:
    King George, VA
    2016 Explorer Platinum
    Update:

I picked it up, said goodbye to the '99. The Mrs. loves it. Two issues so far:

1. The radio. Its the Navigation unit/6-CD unit. The phone button does absolutely nothing. The owners manual says you can connect through BT "if installed". How does one know if its installed or broken? Also, when I push the "SR" button, it says 'Satellite failure'. (Gosh, sounds serious) I have a black antenna on the roof, over the front passenger seat. Is that the SR antenna, or the GPS antenna?

2. Rear seat handles. The plastic "receiver" on the back of the handle that mates to the release mechanism on the seat is stripped, both sides. I am able to operate the seats, just need new handles.

9. thebrakeman

thebrakeman Well-Known Member

City, State:
    Canton, Michigan
    2006 Mercury Mountaineer
    Your giving the V8 to the Mrs, while you drive the V6?!!:eek:

10. cmk0808

cmk0808 Active Member

2006 Explorer Eddie Bauer
    08- it might have sync. Earlier ones did not later did. if not- add a parrot kit.

Sirius- the tuner is in the passenger kick panel- silver rectangle box. disconnect the square power plug for 5 minutes and plug it back in. It may come back on. If not you need a new tuner module. Might find them on eBay.

11. cmk0808

cmk0808 Active Member

2006 Explorer Eddie Bauer
    The antenna on the roof is the sirius antenna. I believe 08 Nav has the GPS antenna inside behind the radio.

12. Bobmbx

Bobmbx Active Member

City, State:
    King George, VA
    2016 Explorer Platinum
    I'll be checking the SR box today. Thanks!

13. Bobmbx

Bobmbx Active Member

City, State:
    King George, VA
    2016 Explorer Platinum
    Married for....oh....eleventy hundred years. I think I know what I'm doing. :D