Elite Explorer
Reaction score
City, State
Lake View Terrace, CA
Year, Model & Trim Level
'91 Navajo '99 X '19 Rngr
08_SuperDuty.jpg

New for '08 include..

*New F-450 pickup joins lineup, offering industry leading towing capacity in excess of 24,000 pounds and maximum payload of more than 6000 pounds
*New 6.4-liter Power Stroke ® Diesel delivers quiet, clean power
~All-new interior redefines tough luxury
*Industry-first, integrated Tailgate Step and stowable bed extender offer customer-driven solutions for cargo-hauling flexibility
*Industry-exclusive PowerScope power-fold, power-telescoping trailer-tow side mirrors enhance towing convenience
*Refined chassis and suspension improve ride and handling
*Exterior design changes maintain bold, American look, improve capability
*TowCommand™ System features integrated trailer brake controller
*TorqShift™ transmission improves towing performance
*Launch of full 2008 Super Duty lineup scheduled for early 2007

Here is a link to the article....

http://media.ford.com/products/presskit_display.cfm?vehicle_id=1515&press_subsection_id=421&make_id=92

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

you should buy every member one so they can tow their X's to MOAB!!!

Not sure about that front end.

reminde me of the CTX

makes sense, international and ford are very close.

I've been thinking about buying a new king ranch, but after all of the problems with the 6.0, I'm definitely holding out for the 6.4

Hartman said:
Not sure about that front end.

Agree

I'm done with new fords though, next one will be a 70 something f250 :D

sn0border88 said:
reminde me of the CTX

makes sense, international and ford are very close.
Doesn't the CXT actually use the a$$ end of the Ford Dually? One of them is driving around my town, and it sure looks like the Ford from the back.
Or am I just seeing things?

c449866a.jpg

This is not the one from my town, just a picture off the web...

hmmm.looks a lot better here than in the spy shots.

Im diggin it for sure..

I wouldn't buy a new diesel for another couple years. There have been MAJOR engine changes due to the new Federal ULSD fuel requirements. No way would I want to be a guinea pig with all the new emissions crap they have to load onto these things...

Rick said:
I wouldn't buy a new diesel for another couple years. There have been MAJOR engine changes due to the new Federal ULSD fuel requirements. No way would I want to be a guinea pig with all the new emissions crap they have to load onto these things...

Nonetheless i'd hit it :p:

After what Ford owners went through with the 6 litre?? You must be a glutton for punishment;)

EMG7895 said:
I've been thinking about buying a new king ranch, but after all of the problems with the 6.0, I'm definitely holding out for the 6.4
i would NOT get a 6.4 over that 6.0, ive had multiple friends with a 6.0 and have ragged the sh** out of them running propane nitrous, the works basically, with no problems at all. the 6.4 is gunna be a turd the first few years.

yeah, ive heard about the 6 liter issues. Studs not up to par with the increased power of a modded 6.0 and other things. But it has started to grow on me. Hell i cant even afford that truck. I bet, whith all the bells and whistles it'll be around 50k.....More than a BMW Z4M!!

Rick said:

I agree. I'll buy one in 2010 or so and let some one else pay for the initial problems and depreciation. :D

[QUOTE='97 V8]yeah, ive heard about the 6 liter issues. Studs not up to par with the increased power of a modded 6.0 and other things.[/QUOTE]

I'm not talking about modded engine problems. I'm talking about massive problems which caused Ford to give SD owners a $1000 rebate when they went to buy a new truck.

One way Ford worked out a couple of issues was to re-program the computer in the truck. This appears to have fixed many of the complaints but, it created several other issues. Number one, to the man all have said they have lost MPG's and power. Number two, Ford disabled the primary injector that made these trucks run quiet at idle. Some owners were promised that Ford would have a fix available first quarter or by April 2004. Nothing!

Some of these guys paid as much as $50,000.00 for their trucks only to have Ford disable some of the functions they bought the truck for in the first place. We are now driving around with equipment in our trucks that are just taking up space that we paid good money for. Many are buying after market equipment to get the MPG's and performance back.

I have been a long and loyal fan of Ford for over 40 years. During this time I have purchased many new Fords with no issues like this. I recently purchased a new 2004 F250 diesel only to find out I am not getting what I paid for, and on top of that I have an 2003 motor in my 2004 truck. I would expect to get an 2004 motor in an 2004 truck, wouldn't you?

Ford does seem to be buying back some of the first trucks that had really severe problems but seem to ignoring the rest of us who want what we paid for. I paid for a Primary Injector, 320HP diesel, and a 2004 motor of which I did not receive any.

I think at the very least Ford should extend the warranty to us poor suckers who had enough faith in Ford to buy this new engine to 5 years bumper to bumper. After all many had to put additional money into their truck to get them to perform as advertised by Ford.

I know many F250/350 Ford owners are talking about going to Dodge with their Cummins engine or GM with its new Duramax. I hate to see Ford loose some its loyal followers but I'm afraid, at least for me this may be straw that breaks the camels back unless Ford gets on the ball and gives us what we paid for.

The Schraders aren't alone. Ford Motor Co. has been sued at least 58 times by consumers who bought 2003- and 2004-model Power Stroke trucks. The company also has fielded more than 12,000 consumer complaints, according to Ford's internal warranty data.

Not a minor flaw

This isn't a minor flaw that Ford can dispatch with basic service. The Power Stroke's warranty repair costs are battering Ford's bottom line. In a conference call with Wall Street analysts last March, a company executive acknowledged that Ford's diesel-powered super-duty pickups suffered from quality problems.

Ford has declined to estimate the cost of fixing those defective Power Stroke engines. But Ford has acknowledged that its warranty costs ballooned by $500 million through the first nine months of 2005, compared with the same period a year earlier.

Ford says it is honoring the engine's five-year, 100,000-mile warranty and doing everything it can to repair it. And newer versions of the engine in late 2004- and 2005-model pickups are more reliable.

But the problem will continue to fester. Ford already has sold more than 384,000 diesel trucks with potentially defective engines. And customers like the Schraders appear ready to abandon the brand.

Fixing its diesel problems - in terms of both engine performance and public confidence - is crucial for Ford because the stakes are enormous: Diesels account for about 25 percent of all F-series sales, and the 6.0-liter Power Stroke is a $5,000 option. The engine is offered on medium- and heavy-duty pickups, and had been offered on the discontinued Ford Excursion SUV.

From 225,000 to 250,000 diesel-powered F-series trucks are sold each year, at prices ranging from $30,000 to $50,000-plus.

If Ford can't put things right, the Power Stroke could cause a consumer backlash similar to that of Chrysler's problem-plagued Ultradrive transmission, which alienated minivan owners in the early 1990s.

"If this isn't fixed, and fixed right, and customer satisfaction put back on track, there will be fallout," says Art Spinella, president of CNW Marketing Research Inc. in Bandon, Ore. "Ford will lose buyers to Dodge and General Motors."

Trouble from the start

The 6.0-liter Power Stroke engine has been troublesome from the day it was launched in the fall of 2002. It replaced a somewhat unrefined 7.3-liter diesel.

The powertrain was built by a longtime Ford diesel supplier, International Truck and Engine Corp., of Melrose Park, Ill.

For this version of the engine, International Truck designed a unique high-pressure fuel-injection system.

Most automakers use only electronic controls to operate the fuel injectors in a common-rail system. But the Power Stroke's fuel injectors are operated by a high-pressure oil pump as well as electronics.

According to several of the 150-plus complaints posted on the Web site of the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration, some trucks never even made it home from the dealership before the fuel injectors or turbocharger failed.

The engine also has been plagued with leaky fuel injectors, oil leaks, broken turbochargers, wiring harness troubles, faulty sensors, defective exhaust gas recirculation valves and bad computers.

Since the engine debuted three years ago, Ford has issued at least 77 technical service bulletins. That is far above average, even for a new engine. These bulletins tell mechanics how to diagnose and fix various problems.

By comparison, there have been eight service bulletins for GM's Duramax diesel V-8 and none for the diesel engine in the Dodge Ram truck. Both engines debuted at about the same time as the Power Stroke.

After just a year on the market, International almost completely redesigned the Power Stroke's fuel system, replacing or redesigning nearly 500 parts. That helped reduce the number of problems, but did not cure the engine of all its ills. Ford has voluntarily recalled the engine at least twice to fix various problems.

The troubles have caused a rift in relations between Ford and International.

The engine can be repaired and made reliable, says International spokesman Bob Carso. Engineers from Ford and International have fixed the problems that plagued the early versions of the engine, he said.

But Carso says the engine is extremely complex and requires "outstanding diagnostic capabilities" to properly identify and repair the faulty parts.

Less help from Ford?

When the Power Stroke's troubles surfaced, Ford tried hard to keep customers happy. In the summer of 2003, Ford took the unusual step of buying back 500 trucks, mostly because of fuel system problems.

But two diesel technicians say Ford has changed the way it deals with the engine problems.

"When they first started out with the 6.0-liter, Ford had a team that was looking over every bit of it and just doing whatever it took to get them fixed," says Mark Ward, a master diesel technician at Landers McLarty Ford in Bentonville, Ark. "And then that just shut off like a light when Ford found out how much losses they were having."

Ward contends Ford is trying to shift more repair costs onto consumers.

"We used to replace turbochargers left and right if the fins had any damage to them," he says. "Now they (Ford) won't accept a turbo back with any fin damage. They are saying if there is any (turbocharger) fin damage whatsoever, it has to be from a dirty air filter. You have to inform the customer that Ford won't pay for that. It's $700, plus the labor."

The fin is the part of the turbocharger that is driven by engine's exhaust system.

"When the 6.0 is running properly, it has much better performance than the 7.3 did," says Charles Ledger, a Ford master technician from Oroville, Calif. "Unfortunately, the 6.0 is plagued with sensor problems." Ledger dispenses advice on his Dieselmann Web site (intellidog.com/dieselmann/home.html).

Ford: No change in policy

Cisco Codina, president of Ford's customer service division, says Ford is not blaming consumers or trying to shift repair costs onto buyers.

"We have not changed any policies whatsoever as it relates to defective material," Codina says. "We don't try to put this blame on the customers. We will spend whatever amount of time and money necessary to help customers who have problems."

Not all of the Power Stroke's defects can be blamed on Ford and International. Consumers may cause problems by installing unauthorized parts that boost engine output. Aftermarket computer chips and exhaust systems can upset the delicate tuning of the engine and cause head gaskets to blow out, Ward says.

Last year Ford and International officials told Automotive News that the Power Stroke's troubles were over. But that turns out to be only partially true.

The engines made today have a better record for reliability, according to NHTSA (see story, above). But those 2003- and early 2004-model engines keep breaking down. And consumers are angry at having to return to the dealership time after time for "reflashes" - new software to be installed in the vehicle's engine computer or other repairs.

Getting better

The number of complaints for 2005 Power Stroke engines has dropped sharply compared with earlier versions since last year's redesign of the engine's fuel system.

But there still are thousands on the road that are not reliable - and may never be. Design deficiencies in some faulty parts, Ward says, have not been addressed.

"If you look at the part number at the new one you are putting on, it's identical to the one you are taking out," notes Ward, the Arkansas technician. "If you start out with something cheap, what do you expect to happen?"

Ward details the engine's troubles and Ford's technical service bulletins on his Web site, flatratetech.com.

The Power Stroke's troubles are reminiscent of Chrysler Corp.'s A-604 automatic transmission - dubbed Ultradrive - that was introduced in Chrysler minivans in 1989. The first versions of the electronically shifted transmission had more problems than a calculus book. Technicians couldn't fix them, consumers were fuming, and Chrysler ended up replacing thousands of transmissions under warranty.

But Codina says Power Stroke has generated more complaints than rival diesels simply because more diesel Fords are on the road.

Says Codina: "We try to address each and every (problem) as we became aware of them. I am sure I am not aware of all of them. But if they (consumers) come to us, we try to do our very best. But today if you have one or two problems, people are not very happy with you."

One more chance

As for the Schraders, three days before they were to appear before a Lemon Law arbitration panel in November, Ford offered to buy back their old truck, waive mileage costs and put them in a 2006 model.

After consulting with a lawyer, the Schraders took the deal. The couple left Michigan a few days later for a road trip West. But they are still angry with Ford because they had to spend a year trying to get their truck fixed.

And they will not cut the new truck any slack. If the new truck so much as sputters, James Schrader says he will pull into the nearest Dodge dealership and trade it for a Ram.

Damn....and thats why my first diesel truck will be a cummins.

Just as long as it isn't an '07 Cummins... I bet they will have their share of initial problems with the new emissions too.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

More Pics...

WKA2006092768464_pv.jpg

WKA2006092774595_pv.jpg

WKA2006092841227_pv.jpg

WKA2006092864862_pv.jpg

WKA2006092851413_pv.jpg

Toby Keith
WKA2006092854899_pv.jpg

F-250 Grill
WKA2006092774330_pv.jpg

F-350 FX4
WKA2006092764542_pv.jpg

And Here is the offical website with lots more pics and info.. ;)
2008 Super Duty!

Check out the new talgate step under inovation. Pretty cool idea. :thumbsup:

Back