2009 EB Disable the 4x4 possibility? | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

2009 EB Disable the 4x4 possibility?

RoadToad13

Reaction score
Year, Model & Trim Level
2009 Ford Explorer
I tried my best find info for a "BWM" on this year and haven't found detailed information on disabling the the 4x4. My Explorer clunks hard into 4x4 when under 30mph and I would like to remove the extra stress on the 4wd system as well as possibly gain a couple mpg by not driving in 4wd while in the city. Any help is greatly appriciated.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

there is no way to truly disable it. its a clutch type system so the clutch is always sending 5% ish power to the front. also you will not gain any MPG by doing it anyway because the front Diff/axles and Drive shaft will always be spinning. its not like the old 4x4 systems that disengaged at the hubs. pretty much all 2000+ 4x4s work this way now. everything is always spinning.

I was under the impression that 4wd to the front wheels disengaged above 30mph. Perhaps the clunk I'm hearing is a transmission problem and not the 4wd kicking back on. I always hear it while decelerating. Any thoughts?

Nope its full time all the time. you can engage 4x4 high up to 55mph or so. but the Auto 4x4 is always sending power to the front. How many miles are on it? also have you crawled under and checked joints and CV boots and Universal joints? just check for looseness or stuff like that?

also. are the tires on the front and back and left to right all the same brand and size and wear? also pressure. the 4x4 system is VERY picky on these so if one tire is warn more up front vers back or less or more miles on them that can cause problems.

113k miles on it. All tires are newly purchased and inflated to mfg. Spec. Ill jack it up and inspect the drive train.

ok yea im betting something is warn or loose. also at that miles check you swaybar end links and center bushings mine where shot at that miles. i was getting clunking from the front over different bumps and turns from the center bushing being shot.

Back