• Register Today It's free!

2009 Torque Converter

Mike Tanner

Reaction score
City, State
CO
Year, Model & Trim Level
2009, Explorer Sport Trac
I have a 2009 Sport Trac 4.0V6, 5R55S transmission, 4 wheel drive. The transmission has failed, I have it out, sitting on the trans jack, the torque converter will not come off, it moves out and in till it hits the case, about 3/4" but stops and will not pull out any further. It rotates ok, and has a slight amount of lateral play, but stops as if there is a snap ring or something holding it from falling out. Am I missing something or do I need to break out the slide hammer?

I moved your thread to our Transmission and Transfercase subforum.

It should pull right out, I would try a couple of pry bars on the case to converter nuts, If that dont work use whatever you got.

We had one where we chained it between the lifts and used a hand held winch to pull it out.

Thanx James, I just needed someone to confirm that there is nothing else holding it from coming out. I rigged up a puller using unistrut and allthread, It worked. turns out the torque converter had failed, worn a groove into the end of the pump stator just past the splines. I think I will replace the pump stator with the torque converter, just so all is new going back in. Tranny will get a shift kit, and new clutches, bands still look good, and servo bores drilled with bushings installed. This is the first problem that this sport trac has had, besides tires, battery etc. It has 326,000 miles on it and engine still runs good, I just couldn't scrape it yet.......

Back