2010 Explorer 4412 TC noise diagnosis help needed -video | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

2010 Explorer 4412 TC noise diagnosis help needed -video

EGruner

Reaction score
Year, Model & Trim Level
2010 Ford Explorer
2010 Explorer V6. I have a Clunking "ratcheting" sound when I put it into gear. As the driveshaft spins it sounds like it's coming from the transfer case. It also continues to spin for a few seconds with a higher faster, but similar, noise... like it doesn't go into park. I am wondering if it is the transmission or transfer case, maybe transfer case motor. Any suggestions? (Thanks!) Here's a short video I took putting it in reverse and forward:

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

If the drive shaft is turning and the wheels are not that would indicate a problem with the rear differential, if park wont hold that would indicate a problem with the rear differential or transfer case. Transmission is probably fine.

Thanks, that's what I was thinking... Vehicle does move and then it seems to pound into gear and the ratcheting stops. I guess I'm going to have to drop the TC and see.... I was wondering if it could be the control motor not engaging entirely. I've also heard that the fork that engages the gears could be worn and not fully engaging them, thus the ratcheting sound.

If the drive shaft is turning I would remove the cover of the rear differential and take a look in there first.

The noise in park is the parking lock trying to stop a turning shaft.

Yes, drive shaft spinning while vehicle standing still... I crawled under and am able to spin the driveshaft by hand with vehicle in neutral with parking brake on. The clunking is coming from the rear differential.

I can't pull the differential cover on this model without dropping the unit out of the truck

So I finally had a chance to jack up the rear end and spin the wheels by hand. Drive shaft does not turn and clunking noise is inside the differential housing. I can spin both sides, although the left one seems to be a bit looser than the right. I'm thinking of dropping the differential, but that seems to require separating the upper ball joints and puling the axles...has anyone got any suggestions on rebuilding that might be necessary?

I would remove the axles first and start with the left one, I have seen the axles strip out in the differential before so hopefully thats what you are dealing with.

It was the differential. 8 hours of labor... dropped one out of a parts vehicle and replaced this one. It's as quiet as can be. Thanks for the help. :)

Back