Dismiss Notice

Register Today It's free! This box and some ads will disappear once registered!

2011 - 2018 Explorer Power Steering Issue

Discussion in 'Stock 2011 - 2019 Ford Explorer Discussion' started by Locustlanefarms, June 21, 2011.

^^Searches ExplorerForum.com^^

1. peterk9

peterk9 Staff Member Moderator Elite Explorer

City, State:
    Ottawa, Ontario area
    Year, Model & Trim Level:
    2020 Aviator Reserve
    Callsign:
    VE3
    It all depends on how busy certain dealers are and the number of customers they have although Sept. 9th does sound a little excessive in regards to waiting time. It is also possible that some of the mechanics have holidays scheduled. There are many things that can affect booking times.

Peter

2. Support EF

Elite Explorer 2 for 1 Sale! $20 for 2 years!

Explorer Forum has probably saved you that much already, and will continue to save you money as you learn how to diagnose fix problems yourself and learn which modifications work without having to experiment on your own. Elite Explorer members see practically no ads, can add their own profile photo, upload photo attachments in all forums, and Media Gallery, create more private Conversations, and more. Join Today. Your support is greatly appreciated.

3. gdecamp

gdecamp Active Member

City, State:
    Long Island, NY
    11 X Limited AWD
    Yeah, I wasn't in the mood to argue. I figure it is fine anyway, never had a single issue with steering....knock on wood! :)

4. DelSil

DelSil Member

City, State:
    Delaware
    2011 Ford Explorer XLT
    I think everyone on here needs to realize that. I had mine repaired a couple months ago prior to the recall and the parts in steering box were shot. Luckily I had warranty because it was an $1800 repair. The software was repaired also.

5. new to ford

new to ford Active Member

City, State:
    Rochester Hills, MI
    11XLT202A 17Sport401A
    I got the recall done on our ex. We never have had a problem with the steering, so the tech found no fault codes, based on that, they simply reprogrammed the software. They told me that if a error code was found, they would have replaced out the steering gear.

6. Wild Valley

Wild Valley New Member

City, State:
    Texas
    2011 Explorer Limited
    Beware! I got mine " fixed" the first week of the recall and it just failed AGAIN!!!! I am terrified! Now where am I supposed to turn for help?

7. peterk9

City, State:
    Ottawa, Ontario area
    2020 Aviator Reserve
    Callsign:
    VE3
    If you haven't done so before, send a PM to Crystal (FordService) the Ford rep that monitors this sub forum using this link;
    http://www.explorerforum.com/forums/private.php?do=newpm&u=157968
    When you PM, be sure to include your full name, best daytime phone number, VIN, mileage, and servicing dealership in your message.

Peter

8. FordService

FordService Official Ford Rep

City, State:
    Dearborn, MI
    Hi Wild Valley,

Definitely get in touch with me via PM as Peter suggested; I want to see what I can do to assist. Be sure to include all of the information that he listed: your full name, best daytime phone number, VIN, current mileage, and preferred servicing dealership. I'll keep an eye out for your message.

Crystal

9. Wild Valley

Wild Valley New Member

City, State:
    Texas
    2011 Explorer Limited
    Power steering continues to fail even after recall fix

Thanks, Crystal. I just sent you a PM. However, when I have done that in the past and received a case number, the dealership didn't really seem to care, so it didn't help me at all. I really need to know that Ford acknowledges that the recall fix is not working and what they will do to fix it immediately. This is very serious.

10. Rupp3184

Rupp3184 New Member

2013 Explorer XLT
    This just happened to me over Labor Day weekend. Was pulling a 2500 lb. trailer and got the warning lights for power steering and lost my advance trac as well as turn signals. Got it to a dealer the next morning and they say it's a power steering gear. I will be picking it up this weekend and we will see if it solves the problem. This is the 5th time in 2 years it's been in the shop. Ridiculous.

11. On The Bcyde

On The Bcyde New Member

City, State:
    New York
    2011 Ford Explorer XLT
    Power steering rack

I recently took my 2011 Ex in as per recall for power steering. I experienced power steering light, advance trac and terrain management faults and lost power steering all together. Took it in and they reprogrammed. The next day the Power steering light comes back on. Took it back in now waiting since 9-12-14 for new power steering rack. The dealer wants to charge me warranty deductible and alignment cost. Isn't this part of the recall? Or is it just the programming issue recall issue. No loaner, no free rental... WTH Ford!

12. Wild Valley

Wild Valley New Member

City, State:
    Texas
    2011 Explorer Limited
    You should absolutely NOT pay for that. It means that when you took your vehicle in for the recall, the dealership was - allegedly - lazy and/or cheap and only did a software fix, but that does not fix it. If you still have the failure after the fix (like I did), then they should replace the power steering rack. I think Ford has - allegedly - realized that the software fix doesn't work. You need to push them on this, and also report to the NHTSA that their fix doesn't work. How many other people will go through the same thing?!?

13. FordService

City, State:
    Dearborn, MI
    How many miles are on your Explorer, On The Bcyde? I'd like to look into this further.

Crystal

14. On The Bcyde

On The Bcyde New Member

City, State:
    New York
    2011 Ford Explorer XLT
    Crystal, I have about 58K on my Ex. I actually just picked up my vehicle last night and ended up paying the deductible. I needed car back to get around. If the steering rack is the issue. I definitely want my money or some type of credit. Seems like Ford wanted to cut cost claiming the recall is a programming issue vs. An expensive steering rack.

15. FordService

City, State:
    Dearborn, MI
    Thanks for following up, On The Bcyde. Send me your information in a PM and I'll see how I can help. Please include your full name, best daytime phone number, VIN, mileage, and servicing dealership.

Crystal

16. Ott23

Ott23 New Member

2011 Ford Explorer
    Power Steering lost while driving

Lost power steering while driving and the steering wheel locked right up. couldn't even pull over. Good thing we were comming to a stop and didn't have to turn to avoid anything. We already had it in for the recall in August, but whatever they did, either didn't fix this issue or made it worse.

Called the dealer and they recommended that I dont drive it and should have it towed in - at my expense. They said if the recall didnt fix it then it must be something else. With 55K miles and warranty expired, this is going to be an expensive fix.

Maybe I should just let it ride and ignore it like Ford has been doing and trust their luck that I wont get in any injury accident. Let the lawyers hash it out.

17. peterk9

City, State:
    Ottawa, Ontario area
    2020 Aviator Reserve
    Callsign:
    VE3
    Not sure that you can say Ford has ignored it. There is a TSB and recall on the issue. Perhaps your current problem is a different one. All others who have had this problem still had functional steering. From what I gather from your post, you didn't. The steering mechanism locked up and did not allow for any steering at all. If that is so, I believe this is the first post of that nature that I recall reading.

Peter

18. FordService

City, State:
    Dearborn, MI
    Did you decide to have your Explorer towed to the dealership, Ott23? Once you've had this diagnosed I'll be able to look into some ways to help.

Crystal

19. dallasdog

dallasdog New Member

2011 Explorer Ltd
    As I posted in March of 2014:

One can play the semantics game all you want, but in all of the failures before Ford bought back my car, the wheel jerked out of our hands and locked in the direction it wanted to go. Maybe the Hulk could have done something about it but neither I or my husband had any control of the car. It is the same behavior of the steering rack issue and not some other mystery. If you have not had it happen, you cannot imagine the fear that follows.

I have the utmost of sympathy for each of you that have had to continue driving the car while you wonder if you or your family are going to lose control again. I well remember driving the car at 5mph on side streets for 15 miles to the dealership in fear that it would go out again.

20. Blacktop'13

Blacktop'13 New Member

City, State:
    ct
    2013 Ford Explorer Sport
  21. RETexplorer

RETexplorer New Member

City, State:
    Houston, Texas
    2012 Explorer Limited V6
    Wow!! Just had the thrill of steering locking up. Was in a parking lot at the time. I couldn't even begin to 'muscle' the steering. Turning the Explorer off and restarting brought it back to a functional state. Dash display showed the "Power Steering Fault". Called local dealer and they agreed to take it at 7:00 am Monday morn, 12-22-14. Surprised this hasn't happened at speed with someone and no resulting major damage or deaths. I can see it happening on a curve in my dreams now.