2011 - 2018 Explorer Power Steering Issue | Page 42 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Thanks, Peter. I'll give that a shot if we have any more issues.

My wife is back with the car and I have the service invoice. It says "...if cern happens again and DTC's return we will have to replace the EPAS gear." This is what the tech mentioned to me on the phone. Is this the steering rack?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Thanks, Peter. I'll give that a shot if we have any more issues.

My wife is back with the car and I have the service invoice. It says "...if cern happens again and DTC's return we will have to replace the EPAS gear." This is what the tech mentioned to me on the phone. Is this the steering rack?
I believe it is. http://www.fordproblems.com/trends/electronic-power-steering/
EDIT: After reading a few posts (my post 717) I'm now not so sure if included the entire rack. The recall was to replace the gear where a replacement rack was once installed to correct the problem. I believe subsequent racks had the new gear as part of the assembly. Have you looked in the 'Sticky' section for the thread that allows you to check for outstanding recalls?

Peter

I believe it is. http://www.fordproblems.com/trends/electronic-power-steering/
EDIT: After reading a few posts (my post 717) I'm now not so sure if included the entire rack. The recall was to replace the gear where a replacement rack was once installed to correct the problem. I believe subsequent racks had the new gear as part of the assembly. Have you looked in the 'Sticky' section for the thread that allows you to check for outstanding recalls?

Peter

I just ran that check on the Ford site and it only shows the MFT warranty extension. Maybe having had the power steering fix done, that notice was removed from my account.

My wife is finishing up at the dealership right now with the second attempt to fix the recall issue in our 2011 Explorer. I had the fix done about 8 weeks ago after having only one instance of power assist failure in 18 months of owning the vehicle. Since the first fix we've had 3 more instances. I spoke with the tech a few minutes ago and he said they did the same software reset as was done 8 weeks ago. He told me that if the failure occurs again we would be looking at replacing hardware...I forget what he called it but it wasn't "steering rack/column"...and that I'd be on the hook for roughly $1700.

Everything I'm reading here indicates that replacing the steering rack is the next step covered by the recall. Is that an accurate understanding on my part? Should I push that with the dealer if this happens again?

Thanks.

From my understanding, the software update is to prevent the vehicle from losing all power steering if it fails. The failures are a hardware issue, not software. Software in my opinion is not going to fix a hardware failure.

Obviously more and more people are reporting they had the reflash recall done and then still had a failure afterwards.

I THINK EVERY ONE STILL NEEDS TO FILE COMPLAINTS WITH THE NHTSA. FORD NEEDS TO BE REPLACING ALL OF THESE RACKS!!!

NOT FIXED - Steering Lock Up & Fault Alert

Wow!! Just had the thrill of steering locking up. Was in a parking lot at the time. I couldn't even begin to 'muscle' the steering. Turning the Explorer off and restarting brought it back to a functional state. Dash display showed the "Power Steering Fault". Called local dealer and they agreed to take it at 7:00 am Monday morn, 12-22-14. Surprised this hasn't happened at speed with someone and no resulting major damage or deaths. I can see it happening on a curve in my dreams now.

Locked up again (1-8-15)... took photos of the dash to show dealer service. Last time dealer claimed code(s) were cleared. This time there will only be 2 restarts when delivered to dealer in the morning.

First occurrence: 12-19-14, mileage 46100
This occurrence: 1-8-15, mileage 46695
2012 Explorer Limited
Previous posts: 800, 808
Servicing Dealer: Auto Nation Ford, Katy(Houston), TX

Anyone know how much Ford pays out when someone is killed by this faulty recalled steering system?...wife wants to know...

Interesting read at arfc

Locked up again (1-8-15)... took photos of the dash to show dealer service. Last time dealer claimed code(s) were cleared. This time there will only be 2 restarts when delivered to dealer in the morning.

First occurrence: 12-19-14, mileage 46100
This occurrence: 1-8-15, mileage 46695
2012 Explorer Limited
Previous posts: 800, 808
Servicing Dealer: Auto Nation Ford, Katy(Houston), TX

Anyone know how much Ford pays out when someone is killed by this faulty recalled steering system?...wife wants to know...

arfc.org: http://www.arfc.org/complaints/2012/ford/explorer/steering/problem.aspx

Have you filed a complaint with the NHTSA? There are links for that in previous posts in this thread. Also, as blwnsmoke stated, this issue will likely keep occurring until the steering rack is replaced.

Peter

NHTSA - Steering Fault

Have you filed a complaint with the NHTSA? There are links for that in previous posts in this thread. Also, as blwnsmoke stated, this issue will likely keep occurring until the steering rack is replaced.

Peter

Haven't, but will get it done.

Same service writer" wrote my service request this morning. He was pleased I had taken photos of the dash warnings. He printed those photos for repair tech...that action made me ask how many steering lockup cases they have had come in. Reply: "I think you're the first." He inquired from another service writer who knew exactly what the problem was...rack & pinion w/ non-accessible module, it needs to be replaced.

I would have expected FMC to know what the failure is and have a solution after 3 years of data on the failure. This matter is shameful and probably criminal.

Why not fix it and stop the legal wrangling and denial that this serious safety issue exists. I think you solve your issues in-house, not wait for government bureaucrats to intervene.

I'll address the cabin exhaust fumes when this issue is resolved (I can roll the window down on that concern).

Locked Steering

Haven't, but will get it done.

Same service writer" wrote my service request this morning. He was pleased I had taken photos of the dash warnings. He printed those photos for repair tech...that action made me ask how many steering lockup cases they have had come in. Reply: "I think you're the first." He inquired from another service writer who knew exactly what the problem was...rack & pinion w/ non-accessible module, it needs to be replaced.

I would have expected FMC to know what the failure is and have a solution after 3 years of data on the failure. This matter is shameful and probably criminal.

Why not fix it and stop the legal wrangling and denial that this serious safety issue exists. I think you solve your issues in-house, not wait for government bureaucrats to intervene.

I'll address the cabin exhaust fumes when this issue is resolved (I can roll the window down on that concern).

Dealer Service just called. Service Writer confirmed rack & modules will have to be replaced. It will be at least 3 business days to get the work done.

THE GOOD PART: because I had the Explorer in on December 22, 2014 (2 weeks ago), Ford considers the recall completed and no longer in effect. Dealer will check if FMC will further extend the warranty and recall due to the fact the re-flash did not work. REALLY !!! Otherwise I need approx. $2000.00 for the repair.

Bottom line is Ford would rather see people injured or dead than keep their house clean. Friend says their lawyers are already on retainer and settlement funds are allocated, so what do they care. They can write much of it off as business expenses while family members mourn deaths whereas repairs come off bottom line.

Submission to NHTSA for Steering Lockup recall

Dealer Service just called. Service Writer confirmed rack & modules will have to be replaced. It will be at least 3 business days to get the work done.

THE GOOD PART: because I had the Explorer in on December 22, 2014 (2 weeks ago), Ford considers the recall completed and no longer in effect. Dealer will check if FMC will further extend the warranty and recall due to the fact the re-flash did not work. REALLY !!! Otherwise I need approx. $2000.00 for the repair.

Bottom line is Ford would rather see people injured or dead than keep their house clean. Friend says their lawyers are already on retainer and settlement funds are allocated, so what do they care. They can write much of it off as business expenses while family members mourn deaths whereas repairs come off bottom line.

Posted to NHTSA:
In a parking lot on a Friday Dec.19 at 6am, the Steering Assist Dash Warning Light came on, and in same instance, steering locked up. I was unable to steer, but was able to bring my 2012 Ford Explorer Limited to a stop. Restarting the car enabled steering. I notified my spouse who called dealership and arranged for a service visit the next Monday. Dealer honored RECALL ( 14S06 Electric Power Steering ) for issue by flashing the software. My 2012 Ford Explorer was presented to me as REPAIRED & FIXED and ready to drive in a safe manner.

Same event occurred Jan. 8 at 8pm in a parking lot. I took my Explorer to same dealer the next morning. The dealer called and stated the Rack & Pinion and several steering modules required replacement. Dealer then stated you only get one (1) Ford recall service for an event and any further work would NOT be covered by FORD Motor Company.

After the first repair attempt which was not a solution, all costs ($1700-$2300 for Rack & Pinion/associated parts contrasted to a virtually no cost software update done under the recall as a potential fix(thus using up your recall and closing your case, when the recall addresses the parts failure) are borne by the vehicle owner even if it still a recall event. Dealer did state they would check what Ford would do since the second event occurred 2 weeks and 600 miles later.

Basically, FORD has developed a policy to circumvent covering the cost of a mandated safety recall. An internet search shows this is a business-as-usual practice for Ford for this Steering Lock Up recall.

Bottom line - Ford is keeping unsafe vehicles, which have a recall notice, on the road as people who don't have the funds or stamina to fight Ford, leave the FORD Dealer Service Department with the same unrepaired safety defect present.

After Note: Start thinking 4000lb projectiles at speed on the highways and roads.

I woke up in the night thinking about a few posts I had read in different forums. They said to avoid going in for the recall until your Explorer's steering had totally failed(tad dangerous) because of Ford's only one recall trip to service dept. allowed regarding the steering safety recall.

It would be like receiving a single use ticket for the ride of your choice to an amusement park and you have your goal set on riding the "big coaster". But, as you enter the park, an attraction catches your attention. The operator tries to get you to ride, but you say, "No! I have another I want to ride." You're told that the ride you want is closed down for repairs, not working. You settle for that first ride, give up your ticket. You ride the ride, not fully satisfying. As you get off you hear that the "Big Ride" is up and running...alas, you have no ticket. You dig into your pocket for that ride you wanted.

Your ticket was just squandered on the cheaper option. Ford is getting you to squander your right to a safety recall on your steering, a cheap fix that will likely come back to haunt you.

I am so frustrated with Ford at the moment. I expect a resolution to this issue regardless if I have harangue Ford to do what is right, cover the cost myself, exercise my extended warranty, or as my wife now says, "Get rid of the death trap." I have a disappointing $50,000 piece of rolling steel & plastic courtesy of Ford Repair & Service Policies . I'll revisit this later in the next week after all parties have huddle together and form a game play.

I woke up in the night thinking about a few posts I had read in different forums. They said to avoid going in for the recall until your Explorer's steering had totally failed(tad dangerous) because of Ford's only one recall trip to service dept. allowed regarding the steering safety recall.

It would be like receiving a single use ticket for the ride of your choice to an amusement park and you have your goal set on riding the "big coaster". But, as you enter the park, an attraction catches your attention. The operator tries to get you to ride, but you say, "No! I have another I want to ride." You're told that the ride you want is closed down for repairs, not working. You settle for that first ride, give up your ticket. You ride the ride, not fully satisfying. As you get off you hear that the "Big Ride" is up and running...alas, you have no ticket. You dig into your pocket for that ride you wanted.

Your ticket was just squandered on the cheaper option. Ford is getting you to squander your right to a safety recall on your steering, a cheap fix that will likely come back to haunt you.

I am so frustrated with Ford at the moment. I expect a resolution to this issue regardless if I have harangue Ford to do what is right, cover the cost myself, exercise my extended warranty, or as my wife now says, "Get rid of the death trap." I have a disappointing $50,000 piece of rolling steel & plastic courtesy of Ford Repair & Service Policies . I'll revisit this later in the next week after all parties have huddle together and form a game play.

Wait, you have the Ford ESP to cover this repair? That is besides the point I know, but if you have it, get it repaired and tell your dealer that they are going to eat the deductible. Why put yourself through more pain by going through a fight.

I'd be doing exactly that, fight them on the deductible because I sure as hell would not pay the $100 or whatever option your chose for this repair.

Wait, you have the Ford ESP to cover this repair? That is besides the point I know, but if you have it, get it repaired and tell your dealer that they are going to eat the deductible. Why put yourself through more pain by going through a fight.

I'd be doing exactly that, fight them on the deductible because I sure as hell would not pay the $100 or whatever option your chose for this repair.

EasyCare Total Extended Coverage. Yes, that is the simple solution in my case, but Ford is being unjust to all the owners of whatever Ford that has EPAS that is failing and requires replacement. I sure-as-heck don't want to head-on with the person denied a recall repair. There are a lot of Ford Explorers in my area. A coworker has been dealing with Ford on their steering issue for several months now. Just isn't right...

I don't believe that is a Ford ESP from what I've found out. It says that they won't cover a pre-existing condition. I just hope they don't try and say that the steering issue falls under that.

Peter

I don't believe that is a Ford ESP from what I've found out. It says that they won't cover a pre-existing condition. I just hope they don't try and say that the steering issue falls under that.

Peter

I believe that to mean they won't cover any issue that was already there prior to buying the warranty.

I believe that to mean they won't cover any issue that was already there prior to buying the warranty.
Since there has been a TSB and safety recall issued for the steering problem I'm wondering if they will argue that perhaps it is a 'pre-existing condition' issue even though the steering did not fail prior to buying the warranty. You never know what some companies will do to save paying out $$.

Peter

Steaming mad after 2011 power steering recall work

We took our Explorer, which had no previous power steering issues to the dealership to have a oil change and the power steering recall done. We picked up the vehicle later that day and on the way home lost power steering and the light came on. We called the dealership the next morning and they told us to bring it back in. After looking at it, they called us later in the day and said we need a new steering gear. They said it would cost $1,700.oo due to it being out of warranty. The dealership admitted that the recall caused this issue. They contacted Ford and they refuse to pay for this. Why would Ford be doing recalls that are clearly causing failure and then expecting the customer to pay for this? Our car NEVER had a power steering issue before this "recall" was done. My $45k Explorer is now sitting at the dealership and my wife is afraid to drive it. My entire family has been a Ford people my ENTIRE life. At this point I feel like trading it in on a Tahoe. Clearly Ford doesn't care about customer service!!!

Welcome to the Forum heybuddy75.:wavey:
The first thing I recommend doing is filing a report on the failure with the NHTSA;
https://www-odi.nhtsa.dot.gov/VehicleComplaint/index.xhtml

In post 770 there is a link to the recall notice. It states that only the software update is required to be performed on vehicle with no history of steering failure. If there is a history, then the steering rack is to be replaced.

Since the failure you experienced seem to be a direct result of the software upgrade I think you may have cause to request assistance from Ford in its repair. I suggest that you send a PM (Private Message) to Crystal (FordService) who is the Ford rep monitoring this Forum. You may use this link; http://www.explorerforum.com/forums/private.php?do=newpm&u=157968
When you PM, be sure to include your full name, best daytime phone number, VIN, mileage, and servicing dealership in your message.
Good luck.

Peter

^^^^ x 10

You have not gone up high enough in the ladder OR your dealer is not telling you the truth in regards to Ford not honoring this.

Regardless, PLEASE fill out the NHTSA complaint.. this software update is not a fix and needs to be addressed.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

We took our Explorer, which had no previous power steering issues to the dealership to have a oil change and the power steering recall done. We picked up the vehicle later that day and on the way home lost power steering and the light came on. We called the dealership the next morning and they told us to bring it back in. After looking at it, they called us later in the day and said we need a new steering gear. They said it would cost $1,700.oo due to it being out of warranty...

I want to do what I can to help, heybuddy75. How many miles are on your Explorer? I'll start researching ways to assist.

Crystal

Back